• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A bit discouraged

Revelth

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Claudia
I have had a koi fish since one of the tenants realized that keeping a baby koi fish :facepalm: in a 5 gallon tank is not the best idea, not to mention that she had a pleco in there as well.

So I've been slowly upping the size of his tank as he grows but now I'm just kind of discouraged. I recently got a 75 gallon and I've spent a good amount of the cash of my "petfunds" (I have a seperate stash for emergency vet bills) setting it up. Just knowing the fact that I simply can't house either of them as an adult has made me wonder of I really should have used that money. I may be able to keep the pleco if it stays small but having spent over $200 on a maybe is alot for me as a minor. I'm glad I took them out of that small tank but if I try to keep either of them, it'll be the same problem on a larger scale.

Has anyone had any experience with rehoming fish? Any ideas for a DIY pond?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
In my experience working for pet stores, we often had people looking to rehome fish - typically koi, large cichlids, and plecos. We had a huge pond in our store, so we could take them, but many pet stores don't. However, the people at the store may know people who have ponds that might be interested in taking in the fish. It can't hurt to call around.

A 75gal tank is no easy or cheap undertaking, so I commend you on that. Even if it can't house them permanently, it should do until they're a little older, and you have time to find them a permanent home. After that, you have a 75gallon tank to play with! That's a big tank with tons of opportunities!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I've had to re-home fish a couple times. One was a clown loach that I was sold to combat a snail problem... Well he did well but I only had a 20 gallon tank and all those snails made him grow quick! He went to a friend that had a 75g and he had a bala shark buddy he liked to swim with.

I've also rehomed a German Ram pair. I had lost my angelfish that was one of my favorite fish ever and after she passed I lost all interest in my tank. So I found them a new place to go live also.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never re -homed fish myself. Wow 75 gall. That is an accomplishment! My uncle had saltwater fish. He built his own tanks & filters. Anyways, he got married & moved. Decided he couldnt do all the tanks he had anymore. This is going back to the early 1990's. I believe it was 2 of his fish, a batfish & a triggerfish. The bat was huge. The trigger maybe unique, I'm not positive & cant ask as my uncle has past on. He was able to donate them to a aquarium where the public can see them.

I would love to go & see if I could find that batfish! I would lie on the floor & just watch him and zone out as a teen. Was my meditation time!

I think you'll be ok w/ your Pleco, but I'm not sure about how long w/ the Koi. Also, I know w/ goldfish, room temp. Is best for them as tropical temps are bad & can help ich to grow on them. I believe this maybe the case w/ koi. The pleco should be warmer & have tropical temps. I'd look it up but I have to get to bed. I could be wrong here. It's just a suggestion each specific genius/ breed up & verify your water temps. I'd hate your babes get sick/fungal over something as simple as water temperature. Much easier now for you w/ the internet.

In my day.... After walking shoeless in 100 feet of snow. :eek: 10 mile in distance o_O to get to the library so the librarian could beat me w/ the book I wanted to read :arghh:

Joking

:rofl: Really, please let us know how you & your water babies make out!I

:gbh: Rain