• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A bird for the bird

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower will be five months old when I go back to work, but my husband will be working from home until January. We are thinking about getting Sunflower another GCC companion so she won't be lonely while we are at work during the day. Is this a good idea? Will the birds bond more with each other than with us? We love Sunflower so much, and my husband wants a whole flock of birds eventually anyway. We weren't going to expand our flock until we moved into 20170731_153502.jpg a bigger place, but we want Sunflower to be happy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would suggest if you do get another that they be housed separately because yes they could bond with each other and less with you.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They could be jealous of each other, too. Some people with multiple GCCs may chime in here?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@webchirp may be able to answer your questions.

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
The family to which green cheeks belong tend to be quite feisty. If you get a second one then don't put them in the same cage at first as they may pick on one another. After they get to know each other they should be fine. If both birds are hand reared than they shouldn't ignore you and should still interact with you. You could consider a larger conure like a jenday or sun conure as they tend to be more placid however they are a lot louder.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
We were also thinking about getting a crimson bellied conure, although it is still early in the research process.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
I have a crimson bellied conure and there great fun. Good choice.
Do you think a CBC and a GCC would get along alright? I know they are about the same size and, from what I've read here, are similar personality-wise.

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Do you think a CBC and a GCC would get along alright? I know they are about the same size and, from what I've read here, are similar personality-wise.
Yeah, they should get along great. There may be a bit of tension or jealousy at first but once they get to know each other they should be great flock mates.