• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A baby at the pet store

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
And pessimistic me says there is a chance that $5000 will just get him to be a showcase bird in someone's home because it looks good. An accessory per say. People often like status without the work.

There are times I play with the idea of having a young macaw, but decide, for me, it is better I stick with my one old lady! She, with her 3 previous families, was an only bird, and she has no idea she is a bird. She saw our walk in aviary when we first brought her home, thinking she would like to watch them, heck no. We later bought a 5 yo goffin and we were his third home already, she looked at it as if it was an alien. So I think I do best with taking in other people's throw aways and just calling it good. Awww... but to have a baby!!

Sherri

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Went to this same Petland today for bunny food, and who should I see there but the same baby, still needing a home. Poor sweet little angel. :(

He was mostly being left alone when I got there, but when I began interacting with him and he started to talk, the hordes moved in to bang on his cage and yell "hello!" at him. He got so nervous and he had nowhere to hide in his barren cage. I felt so bad for drawing attention to him, but he was so desperate for someone to interact with.

(Please ignore my annoying commentary)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Won't they move him to a corner at least? For the animal's welfare?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Won't they move him to a corner at least? For the animal's welfare?
I wish. They didn't even care to stop people hitting his cage to get his attention, or sticking their hands through the bars to poke him. I had enough real fast and snapped, "if you keep that **** up he's going to take your fingers off". Thankfully, that worked. But he should have been protected by the people who work there. I understand they have a lot to do, but oh my god.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Poor guy :(

It´s one thing they sell birds in store... yeah ok...
But FFS look after them!

So sad to hear they allow people to pester the birds. Just shows that they don´t care about the birds welfare.

I´m hoping someone will come along soon and take him away and give him a loving home ❤

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hate that he's been stuck in this environment for three months already, but at the same time I can't imagine someone spending $5000 on him. That's just beyond ludicrous; a baby greenwing from a breeder goes for $3000 at most, and macs are rehomed around here for around $2000. It's just such an exorbitant fee.

But he deserves so much better than this.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
But he deserves so much better than this.
Agreed :(

It's just such an exorbitant fee.
At least whoever does take him home will have the funds to care for him, and will take him to the vet etc. The problem is it may take a while for that someone to find him.... In the meantime, the poor guy is stuck being taunted in a bird store :(

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's Petland. Can we call corporate? Even though it's probably part of their planogram we could sign a petition or something to have them change their evil ways for the betterment of their animals' living conditions.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That is so sad to hear. I like Karen's idea. :)

A very few zoo shop's in Sweden is selling birds. And if they are they are placed in a separate plexiglass room. You can see them but no more then that.
On the door they have sign that tell that it's forbidden to visit that area.
And as we have great laws in Sweden all is placed in descent cages.

None sell macaws in stores like that beacuse cage minimum size for one macaw are 3 m (118,11") and at least 6,5 m2.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
None sell macaws in stores like that beacuse cage minimum size for one macaw are 3 m (118,11") and at least 6,5 m2.
That would be a food way for stores to set up expectations of how the bird should be kept once they're purchased.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Only problem is they'll plunk another baby in its place. :( We have to have then change their policy somehow; now to public pressure.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only problem is they'll plunk another baby in its place. :( We have to have then change their policy somehow; now to public pressure.
I was told by a couple employees that he was actually surrendered to the store by his owner. I don't know how true that is, but I do know that he's the only macaw I've ever seen in any Petland here. I can only hope there isn't some shady backyard "breeder" producing chicks for them.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Interesting possibility. :chin: That also means he's not part of their floorplan & can be moved against a wall at least. We can make that happen. I believe our members are crafty enough to be very convincing. bats lashes.gif