• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 911 emergency PLEASE SOMEONE

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
My bird (a scrub jay) ate like 1/6 of a tums tablet (very small amount) but it made her throw up and now im freaking out because i cant take her to vet...(because shes a scrub jay) please someone help me. I would die if anything happened to her!!!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have no advice as I do not even know what kind of tablet that is.

@enigma731 may be of some help hopefully

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know I've heard some vets say to give TUMS when in need of emergency calcium, but I have no idea what the dosing would be like. I think @Birdbabe might have more knowledge here for a jay.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They have either 750 mg of calcium or 1000 in a whole tablet. Take a photo of the label and post it here. @Hankmacaw

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok slow down, breath, low slow deep inward.
Two questions
1.what flavor was the tums tablet?
2. How is bird doing now?

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
I dont have the label. I dont even know where she found this at. I dont even get heartburn!!

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
I dont know what flavor? Shes just lookin around from side and hoping from one perch to the next...(which she usually does for a while before she falls asleep) but idk im freakin out here.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Does it smell like peppermint?
When Sweet Pea alive my vet told no peppermint tums only fruit flavored ones. There is something in the peppermint ones that can cause them to vomit

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My bird (a scrub jay) ate like 1/6 of a tums tablet (very small amount) but it made her throw up and now im freaking out because i cant take her to vet...(because shes a scrub jay) please someone help me. I would die if anything happened to her!!!!!
I sent you a PM.

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
No it didnt smell like peppermint, it didnt really have any smell to be honest.. and i responded to your pm. Thank u everyone for the quick responses. I appriciate it. I dont know what i would do without this website. I swear i love it here lol.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know if TUMS would have a different reaction in a Jay as opposed to a parrot, but my vet has prescribed TUMS for my GW when her crop was upset. TUMS are nothing other than Calcium Carbonate and I would not think that would bother anything.

Hope @Birdbabe gave you some insight.

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
Okay so shes doing okay today. She is acting normal again and she only threw up the one time. Shes a bit more spunky this morning than she normally is but other than that she seems back to normal. Thank you guys for the advice and for helping me catch my breath last night. I was pretty panicked

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so glad your bird is doing well now. Try not to panic if something goes wrong with her. I know its easier said than done. We have several post here on emergency bird care. I will find a link for you and please watch them all as they are videos. The more you educate yourself the more in control you will feel in avian emergencies.

Avian First Aid Videos. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
Thank you so much. Also i have one more question. Sorry. I dont know what kind of tree this is but i was going to make a couple perches out of it but shes acting kinda scared of it so idk if its safe to use or not

Attachments