• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 wk old avalon has a question

Avalons mommy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Courtney
Hi im avalons mommy. Avalon is my 8 wk old quaker parrot. I got him about 5 days ago from a breeder that was selling him before he was weaned. He is doing great hand feeding with me. He had his first cheerio yesterday and im wondering since he is doing great with cheerios and formula should i start the weaning process? I know you cut one feeding at a time as he eats more foods. He is with me every second of the day so he is watched very carefully i treat him like my son. Im nervous about starting weaning tho i dont want to start to soon...so is 8 wks old to soon should we wait a week or more longer?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You can start offering him more foods he can eat on his own, pretty much anything that is healthy and soft/easy to eat is good.
I wouldn't eliminate any feedings just yet, but you can try giving him half his formula and then offer him some soft, warm foods like soft veggies or soaked pellets from your fingers or a spoon. Sometimes a small handfeeding makes them more eager to try other foods. But if he is not interested and begs for the rest of his formula, let him have it.
Most birds will wean on their own gradually as they learn that 'real' food tastes much better than formula.

Avalons mommy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Courtney
So avalon is eating cheerios unsalted crackers he really enjoys mango mind you just as treats lol im still feeding formula but i think he may be ready to start moving to pellets and such to start the weaning process

Attachments