• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 week old parakeet food issues

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Hi there,
I raised my little guy Cricket from 2.5 weeks old til now....he's fully weaned however he's obsessed with spray millet and refuses to eat his actual seed diet. I'm even interested in switching him to a pelleted food. Any suggestions other than starving him to remove himself from only being willing to eat spray millet that cannot be good for him....and I'm at a loss what to do. His sister is perfectly fine she loves spray millet too but happily eats her keet noms. Never had a picky eater like this as far as budgies go....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried removing a few pieces and mixing it with his food rather than giving him the entire spray millet?

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I'm dealing with the same issue with my new baby, he's the same age. I take some seed and put it in my hand when he's out. I try to make him think I like the seed or whatever I'm trying to give him, he'll typically try some after.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
I'm dealing with the same issue with my new baby, he's the same age. I take some seed and put it in my hand when he's out. I try to make him think I like the seed or whatever I'm trying to give him, he'll typically try some after.

i tried that tonight and he wasn't fooled haha but ill keep trying that too!!

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Have you tried removing a few pieces and mixing it with his food rather than giving him the entire spray millet?
I havent but I can see him just diving in for the sparse spray haha but Ill do that tomorrow lol! thank you!