• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 Week Old German Shepherd Puppy with Diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Gee, worming is supposed to be done before you receive a pup but you just never know how the owners were handling things. I am so glad that you got to the vet! I have used these meds and they work well and get rid of the problem. Hope things go well now:heart:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Glad to hear that puppy is on the mend. Good thing you got to to Vet before the weekend.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Good link to food ratings thanks Danita. I always try to feed good foods and just tossing this out there for those who my not know.

Tractor Supply Co carries Blue Wilderness and Taste of the Wild. I have one close by and have been going there for the TOTW for my dogs.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awww poor little guy. I hope he's feeling better soon once those meds start working!

P.S. You might want to call the breeder and let them know, in case she/he still has any of the litter left at her/his house - the others pups might have some buggers as well.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Thanks everyone. The thing about worms that I learned is the meds kill the worms but not the eggs, so they typically need to be deformed a few times to get rid of them. He was deformed by the breeders vet and will get deformed 2 more times when he goes in for vaccines.

The vet checked him really well for fleas ... Used 3 different methods and couldn't find anything.

He is feeling back to his normal self this afternoon and evening. He still has runny poops, but it's after meals now instead of every 20 mins like it was overnight.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Our pups were dewormed when we got them, i wonder if that is supposed to be done with all pups.

So sorry to hear about the upset :(

Dirk had a really sensitive stomach.

With our pups we are super careful of what they eat.
Have you seen this site yet?

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost
Yes I had seen this site before Danita ... I did pretty extensive research.

We have decided to feed Acana - the Large Breed Puppy food - Champion Petfoods | ACANA | Our Products- which considered a 5* food on that site. We were originally going to go with the Orijen, but were cautioned with its high protein content that not all dogs do well on it. Acana is a Canadian made pet food that uses local farm fresh ingredients ... you can read all the ingredients on the package.

And for a treat, we decided to go with Wellness treats (WellPet - The Healthiest Natural Products for Pets). He goes crazy for these puppy treats!

We made a few mistakes with the rawhide bones, but we learned from those mistakes. We want the best for this little guy.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Awww poor little guy. I hope he's feeling better soon once those meds start working!

P.S. You might want to call the breeder and let them know, in case she/he still has any of the litter left at her/his house - the others pups might have some buggers as well.
Thanks Kacy ... we did text her to let her know.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Gee, worming is supposed to be done before you receive a pup but you just never know how the owners were handling things. I am so glad that you got to the vet! I have used these meds and they work well and get rid of the problem. Hope things go well now:heart:
Thanks Katherine. If a pup has worms, they usually need a few treatments. The medication kills the worms, but not the eggs. So he'll get medication again in 3 weeks when we take him for his next set of shots.

KenDRAGON

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kendra
Acana seems to be a really nice quality food, but i have seen it be a little to rich for some dogs stomachs at my job (dog daycare&boarding) so just keep an eye out for that :)

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Acana seems to be a really nice quality food, but i have seen it be a little to rich for some dogs stomachs at my job (dog daycare&boarding) so just keep an eye out for that :)
Thanks Kendra. We are weaning him from the food the breeder was giving him. That is the reason we stayed away from Orijen because it has too much protein for some dogs.

If it turns out to not be the right food for him, then we'll try to find a brand that works better for him.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Just wanted to provide an update. Jake is back to normal again! :dance4: He finishes the special canned food the vet perscribed today and has a few more days of medication to take. But he is on the mend!

Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
That's great news. Recently one of our dogs had a problem but with diet and meds it was short term. I understand your relief. That situation is difficult for the humans as well as the dog!!

Status
Not open for further replies.