• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 month old preggo cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I'm sorry, but you have been totally irresponsible. And any way you look at it, you are going to be responsible for the deaths of however many kittens she has and which somehow survive - every one of those kittens, if you're successful in placing them, will take up a spot that would otherwise have been available for a cat who will now be killed in a shelter.

The sad fact is that there are not nearly enough homes for all the cats that already exist. You're adding to the number of homeless cats that will die, by the number of kittens this poor cat, who is only a kitten herself, will give birth to.

I know I sound harsh, but I've been doing cat rescue for many years, and if you can't wrap your conscience around spaying a pregnant cat (who should have been spayed before she ever got pregnant), I don't see how you can wrap your conscience around the cat deaths you're going to be responsible for because of this irresponsible breeding.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
and i dont mean kill the babies like ripping out their intestines and stuff. I'd stop her if i saw that. I mean like bringing them outside the nestbox because their instincts tell them they are unhealthy. Our cats did this a few times. she would bring it about 2 feet away from the nest and leave it to die. The first time we witnessed it, we put the kitten back, but she kicked it out again and it died.

If she just doesn't care for any of the babies, i will take care of them. I do have the hours in the day to feed on schedule and willing to do so.

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
I don't see how you can wrap your conscience around the cat deaths you're going to be responsible for because of this irresponsible breeding.
I agree with you 100%. Usually there is the mindset of "It won't happen to MY cat". My mil's cat had kittens after she got out one day. They weren't expecting it to happen... But it did. They found the kittens good homes within their friends, and that was that. She kept a male kitten and got him and the momma cat spayed&neutered. In the case of population control on cats- prevention is the best cause of action. Cause you just might end up with surprise kittens. :)

Last edited:

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
just spray the house! send your cat to your mil's overnight (she can't get pregnant again lol) and find a good place for your birds. after you've done it and be sure to vaccum after. It's about $30 for the good spray. Fleas are tough to get rid of sometimes. What I did a few weeks ago when my puppy had fleas and was too young to have flea medication, was i bought a $6 comb and I looked for fleas for HOURS. Good luck
I just gotta find one that is bird and asthma safe. Sending her to mils overnight wont be good. I don't want her out again, esp not knowing her due date and the potential to get lost outside. My neighbor might be willing to watch her over night and he won't let her out. his girl has never gotten outside. i think i might take the rugs in the basement and spray em and mop up here.

honestly, i don't know anyone i trust enough with my birds. nobody is really a bird person here and pet-sitters here only sit in-home.

i will talk to some people. i am determined to get these •••• fleas OUT if they are in the house.

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
I just gotta find one that is bird and asthma safe. Sending her to mils overnight wont be good. I don't want her out again, esp not knowing her due date and the potential to get lost outside. My neighbor might be willing to watch her over night and he won't let her out. his girl has never gotten outside. i think i might take the rugs in the basement and spray em and mop up here.

honestly, i don't know anyone i trust enough with my birds. nobody is really a bird person here and pet-sitters here only sit in-home.

i will talk to some people. i am determined to get these •••• fleas OUT if they are in the house.

You could always get a professional to come in and do it? I hear they have animal safe stuff now?

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
crap,. sorry, i meant kill the kittens. i was watching a birth video of a cat eating a placenta while typing. no, i wouldn't let her eat them. i know some mothers will kill the kittens and as much as i would hate it, i would have to let her just do it.
:huh: Why? The cats not a vet. If she tries to push a kitten out you get the kitten to the vet ASAP not just let it die in the cold. That's why you'll save up in case the kittens aren't healthy. It's being responsible.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
i understand what ur saying. i guess i will just have to wait and see what happens. save up as much as possible and stock up on formula and stuff like that.

i'm just praying Chloe and however many kittens will be happy, healthy, safe and flea/worm free and im doing and will continue to do everything in my power to make sure that happens.

lindsey88

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
lindsey
Wow poor kitty! I hope she has these babies ok. 8 months is very young and her body isn't developed enough to give birth safely. Please be prepared to rush her to the vet. I will have to admit that when I was a teenager and relied on my mom to help with spay/neuter my cat got pregnant. I made sure to find all the kittens great homes where they would be indoor and spayed. Sadly after her first litter she got pregnant AGAIN. The second time we aborted the litter. Cats can and will get pregnant days or weeks after giving birth. It is an endless cycle, they will find anyway they can to get out of the house and get pregnant again. I felt horrible about it but I knew that it would be and endless cycle if she wasn't spayed. A good way to tell if she is going to deliver soon, her vulva will begin losing it's plug and have a red or green mucus. Also if you look at her from the top she won't look round anymore she will look flat, her belly will have dropped. Good luck, I wish you were spaying her but since you are going to bring the kittens into the world I wish you and her the best especially since they have a chance to be inbred and come from such a young mother. :(

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
how soon after birth can i have her spayed?

i have always been good about keeping her indoors. she's rarely gets out HERE and when she does, its never more than 30 seconds and never out of my sight. she usually just runs to the side of the porch. haha. she's a weirdo.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Diatomaceous Earth

Yes, the powder can get in the air. I have used it around birds (up to 18 large macaws cockatoos). I just move the animal to a different room while I dust. It is not harmful to them otherwise. Once down it is fine and in fact some dogs have it on them which helps with the fleas. Shoot it is better to put down than carpet freshner in which you should wear a mask also. Since I do have bronchial asthma I am careful. It is still a great product./

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Diatomaceous Earth

Yes, the powder can get in the air. I have used it around birds (up to 18 large macaws cockatoos). I just move the animal to a different room while I dust. It is not harmful to them otherwise. Once down it is fine and in fact some dogs have it on them which helps with the fleas. Shoot it is better to put down than carpet freshner in which you should wear a mask also. Since I do have bronchial asthma I am careful. It is still a great product./
i'm actually severely allergic to arm and hammer carpet fresh powder. instant attack.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Diatomaceous earth has to be specifically labelled as "food grade" if it is to be used around animals, otherwise it can cause lung damage and damage to other internal organs which may not become evident until long after exposure. The risk of non food safe DE is not limited to the time it's being dusted - it continues as long as an residue of the DE remains in the carpet/on the ground.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
where can i find this stuff? and whats best? spray or the DE?

lindsey88

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
lindsey
how soon after birth can i have her spayed?

i have always been good about keeping her indoors. she's rarely gets out HERE and when she does, its never more than 30 seconds and never out of my sight. she usually just runs to the side of the porch. haha. she's a weirdo.
Well you have also never delt with her while she is in heat. She probably went into heat for the first time at your fiance's moms house. Vets will tell you they have to wait till the cat's milk is dry before they will spay, some will do it before this.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Well you have also never delt with her while she is in heat. She probably went into heat for the first time at your fiance's moms house. Vets will tell you they have to wait till the cat's milk is dry before they will spay, some will do it before this.
will spaying stop milk production?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
THis is upsetting to me. I know you say it was not your fault that the cat was impregnated, but you have a choice, the cat doesn't. This cat should have been spayed as soon as you got her and again as soon as you found out she was pregnant. It is irresponsible to think that aborting these kittens is cruel. Being born to a young inexperienced mom and then trying to find homes is dangerous for all concerned. I have rescued more kittens then I can even mention. The rescues are full! You later mention that when your other cats had kittens they pushed a sick kitten out. Why were they never spayed before allowed to become pregnant?
You need to follow your vets advice. Your cat should not even be escaping for 30 seconds. What is she decides to bolt and have her kittens elsewhere? I think you need to put your feelings of abortion aside and save this mother cat from further harm as well as her kittens that will surely suffer. You came here looking for answers. Here what people are saying to you.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Diatomaceous earth has to be specifically labelled as "food grade" if it is to be used around animals, otherwise it can cause lung damage and damage to other internal organs which may not become evident until long after exposure. The risk of non food safe DE is not limited to the time it's being dusted - it continues as long as an residue of the DE remains in the carpet/on the ground.
I agree food grade only. You can also put it directly on the cat and her bedding.
It can also be used as a wormer Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Helps Eliminate Worms & Parasites here is where you can buy it Amazon.com: Organic D-earth - Diatomaceous Earth 10 Lbs - Food Grade Fresh Water By JM Organics - Highest Quality D Earth Guarantee: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
OK, JUST STOP! RIGHT NOW!

This girl has come on the forum asking for advice on how to take care of her cat and her soon to be newborn kittens and all you guys have done so far (most of you) is lambaste her about allowing the cat to get pregnant and then about not aborting the kittens by having the cat spayed. Just stop it. Give this person some support, not criticism.

First of all, you said on the other forum she might have gotten pregnant sometime in mid December and she was half way through the pregnancy when you first posted per your vet. That means she could deliver as soon as the next ten days. Do use the diatomacious earth to dust her, the house and her areas to decrease the flea load in the house. DO NOT use a spray chemical as this toxin will get into her system and harm the kittens. The only reason chemical sprays kill bugs and not people or dogs and cats is because the bugs are so much smaller physically than the mammals involved and need a much smaller dose to be lethal. It is still a toxin and it can and does get into mammal bodies when it is used.

You will be able to tell when she is ready to deliver because she will produce a clear to cloudy exudate you can express from her nipples. This is the colostrum all mammals produce before the first milk to boost the immune system of their babies. She will also be nesty, looking for places to hide to have her babies and she may want to cuddle a lot and lie around purring like a freight train. You will not be able to spay your cat until all the kittens are weaned; a minimum of ten weeks after their birth. Once you have them eating soft foods (either soaked dry food or canned food), you can separate the mom from the kittens and dry her milk up in preparation for spay surgery. Two weeks after removing the kittens should do it. Of course, I never separated the kittens and mom and let her nurse as long as she wanted. Miri nursed her male kitten for five months. But I was smart and had the Siamese who impregnanted Miri castrated while the kittens were still very small so Miri could not get pregnant again before I could spay her.

No, I do not think your vet is trying to get you to unknowingly kill the kittens by giving your cat wormer and flea spot. She was trying to keep the kittens from getting worms and fleas from the mother herself. It is one reason why so many feral newborns die within a week after birth; they pick up the worm eggs off their mother's fur, hatch almost immediately and suck the nutrition of the the kittens, and the fleas literally suck the kittens dry of blood and kill them.

I do understand how difficult the decision is to spay a pregnant female. My Maine Coon queen got pregnant by my Siamese tom accidently. Miri had four kittens, three females and a male. At the age of 10 weeks, three days before they were all to be neutered, the girls all went into heat and their brother happily mated with each and every one of them. So. I had to decide whether to abort the kittens with the spay procedure in three days or let them birth their babies. I already had 23 cats and really could not afford to care for more, so I reluctantly decided to neuter them. I have always wondered what their babies would have looked like. But the potential increase in my cat pride by twelve more kittens.... I just could not do that to the family.

What other questions do you have? Sorry I got to the forum a little late. I understand you must do what you must do with birthing the kittens. Your choice, your responsibility. Good luck with her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.