• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 month old preggo cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Ok, so, after finding out my cat is indeed pregnant, i have become curious about when she will deliver and a few other things... Chloe was at my fiance's mom's for an entire month, so she could've gotten pregnant any time from december 1st to january 1st. When she came back home, she was a little bit heavier, but not bigger around. on january 10th, i posted here that i felt lumps on her belly, which turned out to be her milk ducts, she was now even heavier, harder belly, pink nipples and eating A LOT. I was finally able to bring her to her appointment on January 23rd and they confirmed pregnancy. She weighed 6.5 lbs. They told me at least halfway (4.5 weeks) , but thats it. They never did an ultrasound. This was taken that morning from the top, so u can see the belly-ness

IMG_4714.jpg

It is now exactly 2 weeks later and now a whole 2 lbs heavier, so she is putting on a lb a week...Her weight before she left was 4-5 lbs. She is going to be 8 months in 2 days. I'm getting a little worried that she is gaining weight too much, but idk. this was taken this morning. MUCH bigger and fuller near her hips
IMG_4911.jpg

Ok, so my questions are

1. Should i be concerned about her weight gain?
2. What do you think her gestational stage is, given the time her nipples got pink and i felt her milk ducts swelling up?
3. Her vet wants me to give her the 2nd dewormer dose next monday and give her the frontline drops for her fleas. I read in a few articles that this shouldn't be done. The vet seemed to be VERY against her having these babies because the father could possibly be her brother. She did suggest spaying while she was pregnant due to that fact alone, NOT her age and i declined, so idk if she is just trying to get her way and just kill the babies before birth. I'm super worried and idk if i should give her the meds.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From what I understand, cats start to gain weight after the 4th week. Depending on how many kittens she has in there, I don't think 2 pounds is really anything to worry about. If you are concerned, I would talk to your vet, especially because you have concerns about the wormer and Frontline as well. Fleas are extremely harmful to kittens - they can easily cause them to die. I highly doubt that your vet is purposely trying to harm the kittens by making you administer the medicines, that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. If you believe this to be the case, I would get a second opinion if you want to have these kittens go to term. Remember that even for humans, doctors prescribe certain drugs not recommended during pregnancy - in my opinion if the doctor says its okay, it is.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
If you knew ahead of time that she could be inbreeding with her brother, why didn't you spay her?

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I'm just worried because she was trying to persuade me to spay her now and not let the babies come to term. My mom-in-law actually got irate with her because she's basically wanting to kill them due to POSSIBLE lineage. The pet section of webmd even says "Vaccinations
, most medications, and many
deworming
products are not recommended once pregnancy is established. This includes some of the flea and insecticide preparations, dewormers, and certain hormones and
antibiotics
. Tapeworm medications, in particular, can be quite toxic."

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
I would spay her before she gives birth. It's unpleasant but you let her go this long without spaying her and weren't able to get her veterinary care when you were really worried that something was wrong, what are you going to do with a bunch of kittens? Whether by choice or circumstance you have not been able to be a responsible owner. The kittens will need veterinary care and will breed too, the cycle will continue. If you insist on letting her have the kittens the fleas will kill them, you have to treat the fleas.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'd be very concerned about her. Not just because of inbreeding, but her age. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. PLEASE make sure you have at LEAST $500 set aside in case something happens. If she ends up unable to deliver she WILL need a C-section or there's a risk to her and the kittens. Also, be prepared for still birth kittens and possibly having kittens that will not be healthy so I would add another $250 to that fund just in case. If the kitten isn't healthy he/she will need vet care ASAP to be given the best shot at life. A young cat having kittens that are severely inbred can have a lot of possible complications. :( I hope she makes it and everything turns out okay. It'll be a huge tax on her still growing body. Poor thing.

EDIT: I would follow your vets advice. That kitten is going to be having a LOT taken out of her body without parasites feeding on her like tape worms and fleas. That needs to be taken care of to minimize even more risk.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
first, I didn't want to spay her during pregnancy. second, She got outside there (as i recently found out) several times, hours at a time, within the first week of being there, so there is only a possibility one or more babies are his. I don't believe in ending a life/lives based on possibilities.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Then please please ensure you are saving all the money you can for possible vet bills. You want to be prepared for a C-section, sick kittens or other difficulties right off the bat. Also, please treat for the worms and fleas. Her body is growing, young and really needs to be in top shape to handle the strain of the pregnancy. Losing blood and nutrients to parasites will only make it harder on her.

ThatDarnBird

first, I didn't want to spay her during pregnancy. second, She got outside there (as i recently found out) several times, hours at a time, within the first week of being there, so there is only a possibility one or more babies are his. I don't believe in ending a life/lives based on possibilities.
I would have no problem with you excercising your beliefs if you were a responsible owner.

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
I wouldn't worry about the weight gain, pregnant animals are supposed to gain weight. From what it looks like, she's pretty far along. Expect kittens in 3-4 weeks. Honestly, along with the money Kristen said to set aside, set more aside to get her spayed. As with even normal cat pregnancies, expect sick kittens, stillborns, worms, etc. Also, do you know the signs of labour? She should be monitored closely and her temperature taken everyday. Umm. It's late at night and I'm trying to think of more. I'm drawing a blank- why would you send her to your mil's house that has a male cat if you didn't want kittens? She's still VERY young, this was probably her first heat cycle. Which is to be expected at 6-8 months. There's a huge risk for possible complications. And I think there should be someone monitoring her 24/7 starting in about a week. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
The responsible thing to do would be to either spay-abort now, or if you have the capabilities, to speuter both mom and the babies before placing the kittens. Statistics say about 25,000 cats are euthanized every day in shelters...don't be part of the problem. Either way she will need to be fixed quickly (preferably by the time the kittens are weaned) as cats can go into a seemingly endless heat cycle. Pyometra (infection of the uterus) can be quite common after giving birth, and is inevitable if the cat is left intact but not bred.

You can wash her with the original blue Dawn dish soap, let sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. Will kill the fleas on her. If they are in the environment use diatamaceous earth dust, or flea traps. Does she have a lot of fleas on her? Making a natural repellent would be good..I wouldn't use Frontline right now.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I hope everything turns out okay. I'm not very skilled with kittens or cats, the only kittens born in my house were when we took in a stray and didn't know she was pregnant until she had babies under our bed. Because she, and the possible father, were strays the babies sadly didn't make it. That was quite a few years ago though.

Just make sure you are feeding her kitten food for extra nutrition, or if there is a specific food for pregnant cats. Best of luck to you and your kitty.

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
The responsible thing to do would be to either spay-abort now, or if you have the capabilities, to speuter both mom and the babies before placing the kittens.
I agree- there's so many unwanted kittens going around. That's why you will find 100 different free kittens on classified ads. With responsible breeding, this can be helped greatly.

You can wash her with the original blue Dawn dish soap, let sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. Will kill the fleas on her.....I wouldn't use Frontline right now.

I also agree, the dishsoap has worked VERY well in my experience.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I made the appointment as soon as i felt something was wrong. It was a long wait because one of the vets in the office is on medical leave. Having her at my fiance's mother's was not planned and i thought her brother was fixed. I instructed for her not to be let outside. It was kept from me up until a few days ago that she was intentionally let out. My male cat here is fixed and has the papers to prove it. When she left here, she was barely over 6 months old. Had she not been pregnant when i brought her to the vet, she would be spayed right now. To say i am im not a responsible pet owner is pretty much a slap in the face. There have been times were i needed something, had very little money and i took care of my pets first. I'm in the middle of planning my wedding, and around this time, i was supposed to buy my dress, but i got her into the vet instead. I put my pets' needs ahead of my own constantly. I suffer with my severe allergy to cats just so i can ensure them a good, caring, loving home. Now that i know just how fast after 6 months a cat can become pregnant, i am spaying/ neutering the kittens as soon as medically possible and her as well.

If after treatment, the kittens still get fleas, i will use the flea spray for 2day+ kittens once they are 2 days old made by frontline.

I did everything in my power to keep her from becoming pregnant. It just didnt happen. I do everything in my power to keep my birds from breeding as well, and in the 3 years i have had birds, 8 eggs have been laid, with NO babies hatched.

Do not call me irresponsible. If anything, i was misinformed. I didn't want her to get pregnant at all, esp this young, but now that the is, i will NOT destroy another life. If she decides to just eat all the kittens, or if they are still born, so be it, its nature.

I have dawn dishsoap and i will bathe her in the morning. I check her every day, and at most, i see only like 3-4 fleas on her at a time, which is still too many. I never get bit, or at least not that i notice, so idk if they are environmental. we also vacuum the area rugs every day. the rest of the house is hardwood floor and tile. fiance hasn't complained of bites either.

I will save up the amount suggested. I have about half of that already.

I am very against abortion in humans and animals, so please, don't tell me to spay her now, because i wont.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
If she decides to just eat all the kittens,
Um. I would seriously not be okay with her EATING the kittens. Keep an eye on her, look up articles online about kittens not knowing how to care for their babies. Be prepared to be the momma.

As for not spay/aborting that is your choice. As long as you're okay with the risk of losing all of them and feel that is entirely acceptable, that's YOUR choice. Just be prepared and if at all possible I'd get her to have the kittens at the vets where they can immediately help with it.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T

Um. I would seriously not be okay with her EATING the kittens. Keep an eye on her, look up articles online about kittens not knowing how to care for their babies. Be prepared to be the momma.

As for not spay/aborting that is your choice. As long as you're okay with the risk of losing all of them and feel that is entirely acceptable, that's YOUR choice. Just be prepared and if at all possible I'd get her to have the kittens at the vets where they can immediately help with it.
crap,. sorry, i meant kill the kittens. i was watching a birth video of a cat eating a placenta while typing. no, i wouldn't let her eat them. i know some mothers will kill the kittens and as much as i would hate it, i would have to let her just do it. If she abandons them, i am willing and prepared to take care of the babies. I'm going to the store in the morning for my "kitten survival kit".

The vet sent me home with a bunch of articles in a big pamphlet about kitten care and signs of labor within 24 hours and all that. been reading it and other stuff online a lot. i also had (wayyyyy too many) cats when i was a child and watched the birthing process as well, several times.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
diatomaceous earth is a great product to use in the house and not harm cat. REad the label to see. Vacuuming gets rid of flees because of the vibration which makes the fleas come out. With dawn and diatomaceous earth you should be able to get a handle on the fleas and your kitty will thank you for it. Living in the south makes us ever vigilant to fleas.

Congrats on your wedding. Life does throw things at us from time to time.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Once the kittens are born, they're YOUR responsibility. That means watching out for them up to and including making sure the mother is taking care of them and not killing them. Your cat is still a kitten, you need to be the responsible one even if she's aggressive, confused, scared, etc.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
diatomaceous earth is a great product to use in the house and not harm cat. REad the label to see. Vacuuming gets rid of flees because of the vibration which makes the fleas come out. With dawn and diatomaceous earth you should be able to get a handle on the fleas and your kitty will thank you for it. Living in the south makes us ever vigilant to fleas.

Congrats on your wedding. Life does throw things at us from time to time.
Thanks. I already moved the wedding date from june to september so i could take care of her vet bills.

what is this d-earth thing, where can i get it, is it birdie and asthmatic safe? I've heard of it on here, but never seen it it stores.

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
just spray the house! send your cat to your mil's overnight (she can't get pregnant again lol) and find a good place for your birds. after you've done it and be sure to vaccum after. It's about $30 for the good spray. Fleas are tough to get rid of sometimes. What I did a few weeks ago when my puppy had fleas and was too young to have flea medication, was i bought a $6 comb and I looked for fleas for HOURS. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.