• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 week old Pineapple Conures Feeding Schedules, help please.

Mojo1675

Moving in
Real Name
Mojo1675
Hi,

I have two just under 6 week old Pineapple Conures Chicks that I am handfeeding. I pulled from the nest at 2 weeks due to the parents attacking and killing their chicks. I am a complete novice but am experienced with Birds due to owning a Timneh African Grey and Cockatiel for some years.

So my questions are ? I am currently formula feeding the chicks at 6 am, 12pm, 5pm and a top up about 10pm but the last few days the smaller one of the two has been reluctant to feed from a syringe and will only take from the spoon, also the most they can consume before their crops are full is approx 10 cc's per feed. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I double check the temperature and follow the instructions of consistency required for the appropriate age. The chicks are alert and playful and look healthy and have gained a couple of ounces over the past 4 weeks but I cannot help worry I am doing something wrong. Also what is the right age I should drop a feed and start to get them interested in adult food. They are both using their beaks for climbing and chewing (mainly me) but show no other signs of being interested. Any advice is welcomed.
upload_2018-8-2_11-23-9.jpeg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@webchirp ? @karen256 ?

I don't have handfeeding experience. This is about cockatiels but it may still be helpful: Hand-Feeding and Weaning
I have only handfed Chya decades ago and that was when she regressed at four months so it was only three times a day. If they are steadily gaining and showing a preference for feeding, I would think you are okay. I am sure Karen will jump in...there might also be another thread about handfeeding if you search for her posts. Now elderly cheekies I can help with...

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
They are super cute and to me look good (hard to tell from a picture but even so).

I am just going to throw out a bunch of info some of it you may know and some you may not.

First, I have never raised green cheeks only parrotlets and caiques.

Reluctance to eat can happen but is definitely a reason to start double checking everything.

You mention that the have gained a couple of ounces which is great. If you can weigh them in grams it is easier to track their growth with the smaller increments. Many scales will switch between ounces and grams.

Feeding amounts should be about 10-15% body weight so if you measure the bird in grams and formula in ml's it is easy to figure. 100 gram bird should eat about 10-15 ml of formula per feeding (it is not exact but it is a good ballpark).

The biggest thing to watch is the rate that the crop empties. If the baby is not eating because his crop motility (movement of food out of the crop and into the rest of the digestive system) is slow then that is a problem that needs to be addressed immediately.

You can start adding weaning food like spray millet and veggies as soon as the babies start to try and pick things up with their beaks. At first they will just play with the food, then they will nibble and eventually start eating. It is a learning process so you will offer weaning foods and handfeed at the same time until after they are flying. Weaning will not be complete until sometime after they are old enough to fly.

I track how much food they eat each feeding and add it up at the end of the day. As the babies grow they eat more at each feeding and can go longer in between. If they are too full at the next feeding they may not want to eat yet or eat as much.

As an example if a baby eats 40 10ml feedings a day that is 40ml total. If he is big enough to eat 15ml at a time and will eat that three times a day then that is 45ml. In this case, it would be better to offer the three larger feedings rather than 4 small ones because it is more food total. That is how I decide when to drop a feeding.

So first, you need to know the max amount they can eat at once (10-15% of weight but not overfilling the crop). Then if they still have a good amount of food in the crop and are still comfortable at feeding time and not acting hungry you can try and start spacing the feedings out a little more. Double check by continuing to track their total food intake and their weight.

I hope all that makes sense. If you have any questions, let me know.

Mojo1675

Moving in
Real Name
Mojo1675
Thank you for your responses you have been most helpful. The smaller one weighs about 86 Grams so is eating about 10 -12% per feed and the larger about 95 grams so eating more and their crops are filling and emptying sufficiently between feeds. I syringe measure but spoon feed the smaller chick as he prefers to feed at his pace. I will continue to monitor their weight and feeding habits. I do have trouble pinning them down sometimes as they would rather run off and play but I assume that is a good thing. I did try them with a piece of apple and they did take a taster but weren't sure. We are going to try them on spray millet over the coming days and take it from there. I suppose I am just paranoid that I am not giving them the start they deserve but seem happy enough.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thank you for your responses you have been most helpful. The smaller one weighs about 86 Grams so is eating about 10 -12% per feed and the larger about 95 grams so eating more and their crops are filling and emptying sufficiently between feeds. I syringe measure but spoon feed the smaller chick as he prefers to feed at his pace. I will continue to monitor their weight and feeding habits. I do have trouble pinning them down sometimes as they would rather run off and play but I assume that is a good thing. I did try them with a piece of apple and they did take a taster but weren't sure. We are going to try them on spray millet over the coming days and take it from there. I suppose I am just paranoid that I am not giving them the start they deserve but seem happy enough.
This all sounds great! Good luck.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The babies look beautiful. Millet is a good beginning weaning food. You can also try some softened pellets and cheerios. They are generally easy to pick up. I used those when weaning my red-bellied parrots. Also gave them mixed veggies as well as small pieces of apples and pears.

Mojo1675

Moving in
Real Name
Mojo1675
79502EF9-342F-48B0-9867-F8D93855C70E.jpeg Yes put millet in this morning and they have been picking at it also added some softened Exact Rainbow pellets and small bits of fruit. They have been eating banana from my hand also. First day trying to drop to 3 feeds. In a larger brooder now and added a very low perch which they seem to be enjoying.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that all is going well with the babies and that they are starting to pick at food.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can feed sprouted seeds (sprout your own!) and finely chopped up vegetables. Even if they don't eat it immediately, it will help keep them familiar with new foods.

Mojo1675

Moving in
Real Name
Mojo1675
Seem to be eating soaked egg plant, banana, millet and bits of apple but definitely losing interest in the formula. Is is best not to force the formula am concerned they won’t be eating enough.