• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures 5 gal aquarium

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
So I've had this set up for probably close to two months now and I'm so happy with how it has been going.

We have an african dwarf frog, two male guppies, 3 snails, and 2 ghost shrimp.
We started with 4 guppies but 2 of them died within the first two weeks of being brought to the tank, so I'm not sure what happened there. These two are doing well so I'm afraid to try and bring in more but I know that they are schooling fish.

The only thing I wish is that I had a better/gentler filter because this one has a pretty strong flow. I tried panty hose over the intake but it gets clogged within a day or two and it's not practical for me to change it every other day.

Anyways, enjoy a few pictures!

IMG_6933.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Awwww, how cute!!! What species goes well with the little frogs? I have a 20 gallon & a half gallon betta tank &- have always wanted one of those cute froggies. I just don't want to get aggressive fish species accidentally & they hurt the foggiest. Have you tried adding more water because some times thats why my tank is too flowy if that makes sense? Lol!

Reactions: Lo_

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Awwww, how cute!!! What species goes well with the little frogs? I have a 20 gallon & a half gallon betta tank &- have always wanted one of those cute froggies. I just don't want to get aggressive fish species accidentally & they hurt the foggiest. Have you tried adding more water because some times thats why my tank is too flowy if that makes sense? Lol!
I'm not sure exactly, but I can look into it :)
I have as much water in there as possible! Lol it is still super strong.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Nice setup, I love the frog :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I had guppies as a child.
I remember blue tails. They may make babies but need a place to hide as they eat them.

I like fish esp goldfish & angel fish.
Was looking at getting a fish when I walked into a pet store that specialized in birds.
I soon was looking at all the birds & I was bit by the bird bug.

5 gal is small so you can't put too many. 10 would be better.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I had guppies as a child.
I remember blue tails. They may make babies but need a place to hide as they eat them.

I like fish esp goldfish & angel fish.
Was looking at getting a fish when I walked into a pet store that specialized in birds.
I soon was looking at all the birds & I was bit by the bird bug.

5 gal is small so you can't put too many. 10 would be better.

Yea I want to size up but it will be a little while until I can. The only thing I would add to this tank would be 2 more guppies but I probably won't, because the community is doing very well at the moment :)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
The frogs are expert escape artists but the last one I had lived with a betta peacefully and both loved it when it was bloodworm feeding day. I've heard of some dwarf african frogs not surviving after consuming smaller neon tetras but I can't really say anything about if that comment is accurate or not. My assumption is that most of the smaller and docile fish would be appropriate if there are enough hiding spots but don't "quote me" on that.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Guppies are pretty. So many different colors.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
The frogs are expert escape artists but the last one I had lived with a betta peacefully and both loved it when it was bloodworm feeding day. I've heard of some dwarf african frogs not surviving after consuming smaller neon tetras but I can't really say anything about if that comment is accurate or not. My assumption is that most of the smaller and docile fish would be appropriate if there are enough hiding spots but don't "quote me" on that.
Frank does love bloodworm time, that's for sure!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale, starting with 10 gallons. $10 for a 10 gallon! That is, if you have a store near you. I know other stores occasionally also have these deals.

$1 per gallon with Pals Rewards

Choose from 10G, 20G, 20L, 29G, 40G, 55G and 75G* Aqueon open glass tanks

Valid Dec 26 - Jan 28

My SO keeps mentioning getting guppies, so they can eat the "pests", but we've never gotten any.

I'm new to the aquatic side of things, and have learned that ammonia and nitrites can be dangerous to inhabitants (especially in uncycled tanks or over-stocked tanks) and fish can also suffer from TDS shock (not pH shock, as many people assume it is).

Even if you don't get any more fish, it would probably be a good idea to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon because of your snails?

As for outlet, what about a babbler? Any way to set one up in front of the out flow? My SO uses AquaClear HOB's which have a somewhat adjustable flow.

Cute tank! :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale, starting with 10 gallons. $10 for a 10 gallon! That is, if you have a store near you. I know other stores occasionally also have these deals.

My SO keeps mentioning getting guppies, so they can eat the "pests", but we've never gotten any.

I'm new to the aquatic side of things, and have learned that ammonia and nitrites can be dangerous to inhabitants (especially in uncycled tanks or over-stocked tanks) and fish can also suffer from TDS shock (not pH shock, as many people assume it is).

Even if you don't get any more fish, it would probably be a good idea to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon because of your snails?

As for outlet, what about a babbler? Any way to set one up in front of the out flow? My SO uses AquaClear HOB's which have a somewhat adjustable flow.

Cute tank! :)
Thanks for letting me know!! I will most likely be getting a new tank now :D
Since I posted this we lost Frank :( Idk what happened but I woke up one morning and he was belly up at the bottom of the cage. ETA: :lol: tank, not cage :confused:

Since I will likely be getting a new tank now I'm going to look into a new filter, thanks!! :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Welcome! :) Petco also price matches their products to their website, so it's possible to find products 15-40% off on the site and get those prices in store! Just need a smart phone or some way to prove the price is from their store!

Sorry though to hear about Frank! :( It's always rough losing a pet.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Welcome! :) Petco also price matches their products to their website, so it's possible to find products 15-40% off on the site and get those prices in store! Just need a smart phone or some way to prove the price is from their store!

Sorry though to hear about Frank! :( It's always rough losing a pet.

Oh wow that is an awesome little 'secret' there! Will definitely have to see what savings I can find now :)

It's okay, thank you! I can't wait to get this new tank going so I can get another froggy :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I've had several of the dwarf frogs but we always had them in the tiny plastic tanks and they usually lived a few years at best. I read that they aren't allowed to be sold anymore, or at least like that but apparently you can still buy them. I always liked them and they seemed to do fine on their diet of the little frog food in pellets we gave them and looked forward to feeding time.
Don't have any fish or frogs now but I do have a 33 gallon bow front tank with a stand I found cheap at a garage sale I might setup someday if we ever get the house setup nice for it. After 4 years still trying to figure out things and what would be best in here to save space and have nice looking storage places.
At one point as a family we had lots of fish and critters and several smaller tanks. I even had dwarf sea horses for a while which was really cool but back in the 70's salt water was very hard to keep going and the chemicals and things you really needed were just coming online when my last salt tank imploded.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I've had several of the dwarf frogs but we always had them in the tiny plastic tanks and they usually lived a few years at best. I read that they aren't allowed to be sold anymore, or at least like that but apparently you can still buy them. I always liked them and they seemed to do fine on their diet of the little frog food in pellets we gave them and looked forward to feeding time.
Don't have any fish or frogs now but I do have a 33 gallon bow front tank with a stand I found cheap at a garage sale I might setup someday if we ever get the house setup nice for it. After 4 years still trying to figure out things and what would be best in here to save space and have nice looking storage places.
At one point as a family we had lots of fish and critters and several smaller tanks. I even had dwarf sea horses for a while which was really cool but back in the 70's salt water was very hard to keep going and the chemicals and things you really needed were just coming online when my last salt tank imploded.

Wow a saltwater tank would be amazing! So cool. My dream is to one day have a nice large aquarium, not sure if I want salt or fresh, but I have always loved them :xflove:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Salt is a lot of work and at least twice as heavy as fresh water but the sea horses are so cool to watch slowly swimming around and slurping up brine shrimp. I'm sure the chemicals and knowledge now would make it a lot easier to safely keep a salt tank running and healthy. One of my test chemicals went bad and I didn't have a clue the nitrates had gone off the chart or maybe everything would have lived a very long time.