• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

41 days

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is the setup so far. I have only put in what was in the cage before, plus the pedí perch. Tomorrow I'll add more toys etc.

IMG_20190319_135846.jpg
IMG_20190319_140356.jpg

IMG_20190319_143009.jpg

This guy had to be washed so he's outside drying...
IMG_20190319_141632.jpg

I'm having a quick coffee and then I'll feed Adélie and get her in...
Let me know if you think I should change something... Add or remove something...

Edit:

If you are curious, the plaque says:

¨You are braver than you think,
Stronger than you look,
More talented than you know,
and twice as brilliant as the brightest star!¨

My mum bought it for me and I put it there because I don´t hang pictures etc (I have birds lol). I later put Adelie next to it when she was a baby. I think it describes her well, and I´ll always keep it near her :)

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It doesn't matter what you or we think about the cage, Adélie will decide. But 40sq cm? Looks like (s)he has acres in there, great for rolling toys around. Need to know how (s)he reacts. Just start with what's in the old cage, let Adélie spread a little.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But 40sq cm?
It´s 40cm2 more floor space than the scage she was in ;)
This cage has 45cmx75cm floor space :)

I´m a bit bummed there´s no grid at the bottom, do you know where I can get one? If not I´ll go to the local hardware shop for some mesh or something.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
IMG_20190319_152105.jpg
Settling in well :)
She's eaten millet and now playing with her ball ❤

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It´s 40cm2 more floor space than the scage she was in ;)
That's what I meant.
Anywho, looks like Adélie likes it.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's what I meant.
Ah yes, I see now :)

Yes, she seems happy. I´m sure she´ll be happier once it´s more colourful :)
She is going up and down the stairs constantly to look around and has flown a bit. As you see in the video, she has already fallen, but it´s a small drop. I don´t think I´ll be putting anything higher than that for now. She has been working her bad foot on her perch and on the ladders too. (She stands still with the foot in the air and tries to open and close it, and then grabs perches.)

I´ll look into a grid for the floor otherwise there will be big problems in a couple of months when the shredding starts, she´s already been munching on the paper. Plus it will be cleaner to play on.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Place a towel or blanket under the papers if she falls often.
And about the crate..
You don't like the cage, and to make someone make a crate to that cage will not be cheap.
Have the cage as a spare cage and get a new one. That is what I had done.

You have zooplus in Spain and they have Montana Madeira. A cage that I can recommend.
Some weeks they have it on sale. And it's really worth the money.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Place a towel or blanket under the papers if she falls often.
And about the crate..
You don't like the cage, and to make someone make a crate to that cage will not be cheap.
Have the cage as a spare cage and get a new one. That is what I had done.

You have zooplus in Spain and they have Montana Madeira. A cage that I can recommend.
Some weeks they have it on sale. And it's really worth the money.
I have that cage. Lapis and Nube live in it.
I also recommend it, however, I was unsure of the height on it. If Adelie stops falling, I may get another Montana cage and not put it on the trolley.

When my friend told me she wanted the chicks (Adelies siblings) I told her to buy this cage, and she did :)

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Adelie is so precious! I’m glad she likes her cage, and it’s cute that she has a bunch of pictures of the family to look at by it too!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Adelie is so precious! I’m glad she likes her cage, and it’s cute that she has a bunch of pictures of the family to look at by it too!
Yes, and not by choice. I´d rather put some colourful plastic sheets behind there, but that would mean nowhere for the pictures, I can´t hang them or they will get wrecked... Adelie isn´t even interested in them hehe

She has been fluttering around inside her cage, enjoying it very much. It is the perfect size for her. I wish I could find a cage this shape and size but built to the quality like my Montana cage. But I also want to wait and see how she gets on over time as she grows a little, with her foot etc. This is a great cage to have her in to observe her and see how she manages different things.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Day 88

I feel like there has been some changes... For the last 2 days Adelie has only had 2 formula feeds... although we have been here before.

She´s going throught the singing to sleep phase.. It is pretty repetitive however, it´s nicer than the other hens shreiking.

I was listening to her for over half an hour... made the clip.. and uploaded it .. She is still going :roflmao:

I´m learning the art of one handed handfeeding (without having my second hand holiding the chick). Adelie wants to be a big bird and won´t eat if I hold her, she wants to do it all by herself. At first it was quite messy as she´d turn her head quick, but we´ve got the hang of it now.

And if I don´t make the forumla before I get her out of the cage, she decides I am doing it too slow and will stick her head in the bowl and tuck in!:wideyed:

She really enjoys millet. She has eaten seeds and I saw her with a pellet, but I don´t know if she ate that. I don´t think she has eaten the sprouted beans as much as I offer them.

I really don´t´know if she has drank water. I have not seen her do it. I have tried my Hellen Keller trick (or Anne Sullivan rather), and will continue to do so. I haven´t moved the water. This is the only thing that remotely concerns me, I don´t mind her wanting baby formula still, but I wish she would drink.

Another thing is, Adelie doesn´t cry for food whilst in her cage. When she is out of the cage and hungry, she will silently beak me, begging for food with an open beak.

Also, If you remember, I have mentioned a few times in the forum, that when Adelie was a baby, less than 2 weeks old, and being handfed by me, my 2 year old nephew came for a holiday to celebrate the three kings and I had to cancel a lot of plans... Well he´s coming back a week on wednesday. These flights were booked last year, and I really thought Adelie would eat on her own by then, but now I´m thinking she will still be wanting formula.
This time, both my 2 year old nephews are coming, we´ll have to see what happens. If Adelie sticks to 2 formula feeds a day, it should be ok, as the babies sleep early etc so I would be out the house from about 10 - 5.

I created another thread just to post about Adelies set up: Pictures - Adélies house set up | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum So I can keep this one about her growth and progression :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just rolled into day 95,

We are down to doing 2 feeds daily.

We have been experimenting with bowls in Adélies house. The ones that came with the cage are a no no for her. I mounted a SS bowl in a ring holder, and it has worked much better for the seeds. Fresh foods still served on a Pataks lid yet she has not eaten much. Millet still clipped to the wall near the training branch. The water still hasn't moved, I don't think she has drank it. I have seen her dip her foot in it, but that is all she has done. Hopefully we see some progress with the drinking situation this week.

Adélie is developing quite the attitude so she is certainly keeping me on my toes.

IMG_20190401_013817.jpg IMG_20190401_013958.jpg