• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures 4 Lovebirds Looking for Homes Plantation, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
The high school Animal Science program I work with has just gotten in 4 unexpected lovebirds. We had been conversing with a lady to take in a single lovebird and to our surprise, she showed up with 5; the one we had planned on adopting and then 2 pairs. The program is on a very tight budget and had only planned to adopt one bird, but we couldn't turn away these other 4 babies due to the conditions they arrived in :( We took them in not with the mindset of keeping them, but that with our connections and large member body we could find these birds loving homes.

So with that in mind, these birds have not and will not be seen by a vet through the program because the budget is just not there. For now they are being kept in strict quarantine while we search for homes. They will not come with a proper sized cage because they were unexpected so currently they are living in travel-sized cages. They are also on an all seed diet, but we are working on that by offering pellets and fresh food. Overall, these birds are free to a good home but will come with the expense of seeing a vet and purchasing proper sized cages and other supplies. They must also be adopted in the pairs they arrived in.

From the information we were able to get out of the woman these birds were breeders and have produced quite a few clutches for her. However, we will only adopt them to a home where they will not be bred. We are willing to try and work something out if the potential adopter lives far away (AA train?), but shipping is not something the program can afford.

1st pair:
20160309_154117[1].jpg

20160309_154219[1].jpg

From what the woman told us these two are at least 5 yrs old and the male is the standard peach-faced and the female is the mutation. The male is nippy, but very friendly once he comes out of the cage; he really has a great personality! It appears to us that the male is over preening his wing feathers. The female is very skittish, but has not bitten at all. She has an old, healed injury where all of her toes on her right foot are facing forward.

2nd pair:
20160309_153821[1].jpg

20160309_153703[1].jpg

This pair is much more worse off just by physical appearances. The woman said they are at least 10 yrs old. Both have toes/nails missing on both feet. This leads to poor balance and they tend to be very beaky when moving around. At first it seemed like they were trying to bite, but really they are just gaining balance. According to the woman, the male is the one with the plucked head which was done by the female whenever they bred. The female is the one with injury to her nare and the slightly plucked chest. Both are relatively skittish and nippy in the cage, but once out they do not mind being handled. However, they definitely prefer each other over anything else.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope they can find a nice home.

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Thanks for taking them! I'll ask a friend tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thank you for helping them out!
If I had the room, I'd help out.

I hope they find a soft place to land soon. :)

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Oh my god, that second pair. Oh my god. I have such a soft spot for lovies and I almost cried. I would take them in a heartbeat just to get them a new home if I had the money.
Oh, if I had the money.
My heart. :grumpy:

I hope they find a good home very soon.

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
I have a question on the older pair. ( with bald head and hole in nose) if this bonded pair were adopted together as suggested would they continue to breed? Thanks

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I have a question on the older pair. ( with bald head and hole in nose) if this bonded pair were adopted together as suggested would they continue to breed? Thanks
They may attempt to breed, but it's something that can be prevented by taking necessary precautions (strict light schedule, not providing nesting areas or materials, etc).

lgrikki

Strolling the yard
:sad5::shakehead:Oh this breaks my heart.
Thank you for your efforts in trying to find these lovies homes.

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Hi. Any luck finding homes for these guys? I hope so! Some reason I can't stop thinking about them!

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Yea!!!! Great Job. Thank you for stepping in and saving them! And updating us!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful!! So glad to hear that. :)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm so happy they have a wonderful home! Yay!
Thanks for the update. :)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wish I was still in FL, would be glad to take all of them

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue