• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3rd Gotcha Day

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hard to believe it's been 3 years already!!!
I got Zuya from the same breeder that I got my previous lovebird from, which was at a bird mart (before I knew better about getting birds at those). Since he died just two years later, I reached out to the same lady, who lives almost 3 hours away. There were just no other places around here that had any Fischers. I couldn't actually get in contact with the breeder directly, but through a club member, who offered to bring the bird a bit closer, to her house. So, I didn't even get to go and pick her out. All I got was this picture.
New bird.jpg
But look at that cute face! I was actually looking for a male, so the breeder said she picked this one *male*. She was right the previous time, so I trusted her. This little birdie was very friendly from the get-go, more so than any other bird I ever had in 30+ years. Even though she was not hand-fed, she wanted attention from the first day. This was her a few hours after bringing her home, wanting to come out and check things out, instead of hiding in a corner.
DSC05922.JPG
And by day 4 she was comfortable eating on her tree stand.
DSC05930.JPG
The following day I sent an update to the breeder-club-friend lady, about how amazing this little birdie was, perching on and eating out of my hands, and even letting me scratch her head.
Video call snapshot 5.png Video call snapshot 8.png
So, with a start like that, we bonded quickly. By the time the DNA results came back two weeks later, and confirmed she was a *girl*, there was no way I could return her! I feel silly now, how I could have even though that I could never love her the same as if she was a boy. I knew what having a girl all meant, and I just dreaded those times when she would turn into a little "monster".
DSC01795.JPG
Well, three years later, and she is still the sweetest little thing. It took probably 6 months, while all her clipped feathers grew out, that she felt completely comfortable. And then maybe another year before we really had great routine and communication. She quickly learned tricks, and recall flying.
She is a good eater and forager. I love her messy beaks, butt in the air, and persistence with food puzzles. It took her a while to warm to shredding wood, but now she is a little wood chipper!
DSC07195.JPG
We never got the harness thing going, after the initial rejection. But she enjoys going on walks in her back-pack.
DSC01784.JPG
She follows me around, always wanting to be in the center of all the action. We do this every single morning for the last three years, and she still gets all excited to be a part of the Turkish coffee making ritual. I think she thinks it's some kind of a game, and she is the main player!
She is still very curious, and gets into things very easily. She keeps me on my toes with keeping up with her discoveries. Getting behind/under furniture, inside things like trash can, toilet, fireplace...
DSC01847.JPG DSC01925.JPG DSC08967.JPG
DSC01842.JPG DSC05883.JPG DSC07027.JPG
Of course, being a girl, she gets those urges to nest. But what amazes me is how she will let me, as long as I move slowly, grab her out of those places without any bites! With my previous female lovie, I would have lost a part of the skin if I ever dared to reach into a drawer she has claimed! We have not had any eggs yet. And even when I think I hid all the paper from her sight, she still manages to spot some even if she can only get to it in flight!
I love this cutie pie. Here is to many more years with this sweetie!
DSC07047.JPG

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a cutie! Happy gotcha day!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Happy gotcha day sweetie.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on three years together!

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Happy Gotcha Day!:)

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Happy Gotcha day!! Zuya is such a smart little cutie!!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's always so adorable. Hoping you have many more years with your little busybody. (I think she'd have me losing sleep and hair over it all, worrying about her getting into something dangerous! :nervous:)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
She's gorgeous. Please don't let her play in the toaster.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy Gotcha Day!

zvezdast

Avenue Veteran
She's always so adorable. Hoping you have many more years with your little busybody. (I think she'd have me losing sleep and hair over it all, worrying about her getting into something dangerous! :nervous:)
Um, yeah, that probably explains my increasingly gray hair over the years... :)
There were a handful of times when I didn't close the feeding doors correctly, and she escapes her cage while I am at work. Luckily, I have a camera monitoring her, and I work close to home, so I can go back home before she does some damage, to herself and the environment.

She's gorgeous. Please don't let her play in the toaster.
She is not allowed to play in the toaster! The toaster usually has a cutting board on top of it, for this same reason=the bird. But for whatever reason, at this moment it didn't have it, and she seized the opportunity. It is also unplugged, for the same reason. I was standing by with the camera just wanting to see if she would really go in, and she did. The kitchen has all sorts of blocking devices to forbidden places she showed interest in before; Wires wrapped, tight spaces blocked, sharp/breakable things hidden, stove-top covered....

Her out-of the cage time goes something like this:
Go poop first, get some kisses, then enthusiastically go jump from place to place to see what she missed for those several hours. I sit down and listen for movement. She has trained my ear well. She is pretty good at announcing her every take of and landing. She then investigates all the cupboards and drawers, if any of them magically became openable. I don't leave anything that can break on the counters, because she tosses everything to the floor. She has several plastic things there left just for her. She chases those on the floor. Then she tries to hide under the stove, into the dishwasher, under the pantry door, behind the fridge... all the places that have been blocked one way or another and she can't get into - but she tries.
If I don't hear anything for few moments, and she doesn't respond to calls, I know she is in some kind of mischief. I go check out. She might have just her head hidden behind something, and that's why she is not responding. Like maybe the pantry door was every so slightly opened and she is peeping in. I distract and go sit down. Few minutes later, we repeat.
I have pretty good core body strength from all the sit-ups! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She's so cute and obviously quite the special girl. Happy Gotch Day!:starshower1:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Um, yeah, that probably explains my increasingly gray hair over the years... :)
There were a handful of times when I didn't close the feeding doors correctly, and she escapes her cage while I am at work. Luckily, I have a camera monitoring her, and I work close to home, so I can go back home before she does some damage, to herself and the environment.

She is not allowed to play in the toaster! The toaster usually has a cutting board on top of it, for this same reason=the bird. But for whatever reason, at this moment it didn't have it, and she seized the opportunity. It is also unplugged, for the same reason. I was standing by with the camera just wanting to see if she would really go in, and she did. The kitchen has all sorts of blocking devices to forbidden places she showed interest in before; Wires wrapped, tight spaces blocked, sharp/breakable things hidden, stove-top covered....

Her out-of the cage time goes something like this:
Go poop first, get some kisses, then enthusiastically go jump from place to place to see what she missed for those several hours. I sit down and listen for movement. She has trained my ear well. She is pretty good at announcing her every take of and landing. She then investigates all the cupboards and drawers, if any of them magically became openable. I don't leave anything that can break on the counters, because she tosses everything to the floor. She has several plastic things there left just for her. She chases those on the floor. Then she tries to hide under the stove, into the dishwasher, under the pantry door, behind the fridge... all the places that have been blocked one way or another and she can't get into - but she tries.
If I don't hear anything for few moments, and she doesn't respond to calls, I know she is in some kind of mischief. I go check out. She might have just her head hidden behind something, and that's why she is not responding. Like maybe the pantry door was every so slightly opened and she is peeping in. I distract and go sit down. Few minutes later, we repeat.
I have pretty good core body strength from all the sit-ups! :)
Sorry I misunderstood. I was worried that it was plugged in and she was allowed in there. I apologize. :)

Sometimes I wish George was more active and inquisitive but he is very laid back, like me, especially now that he'll be turning 10 soon. Nothing wrong with him, he's just a mellow bird.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Happy 3rd Gotcha Day, Beautiful Zuya!

:dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

zvezdast

Avenue Veteran
Sometimes I wish George was more active and inquisitive but he is very laid back, like me, especially now that he'll be turning 10 soon. Nothing wrong with him, he's just a mellow bird.
They are all their own individuals. But I think most lovebirds are nosey. There will be a time when she eventually mellows down, but it may not be for many more years.

zvezdast

Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for the kind words!