• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3D printer and bird toys

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Yes, don't have one near or around birds and I would not print out anything bird toy related.

If I get one I will use it in the garage and just for creating models for jewelry.
I've read how they have used them to create prosthetic beaks and legs for birds.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, right but has to be of a certain material. My one main concern would be printing it out because they put off a lot of fumes even just for non related bird stuff.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, right but has to be of a certain material. My one main concern would be printing it out because they put off a lot of fumes even just for non related bird stuff.
That is my concern. The only safe place to use it would be in the garage with the garage door opened.

Kacie Noonan

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kacie noonan
I have a nightmare of a situation. My foster mom accidentally broke my toucan's leg. Took him to the local avian vet who is negligent. Now all the toes have died on the leg. I drove the bird 4 hours to a reputable vet that I have used 5 years ago. If this bird needs a prosthetic, I'm needing leads to someone who can help me find one or someone who can create one.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I have a nightmare of a situation. My foster mom accidentally broke my toucan's leg. Took him to the local avian vet who is negligent. Now all the toes have died on the leg. I drove the bird 4 hours to a reputable vet that I have used 5 years ago. If this bird needs a prosthetic, I'm needing leads to someone who can help me find one or someone who can create one.
Animal Prosthetics, Splints, Braces, custom and prefab or VIP Veterinary Inclusive Prosthetics and Orthotics - Home | Facebook Contact these folks and see if they can help or point you in a direction.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A bird with a missing leg is not the end of the world. If you keep your bird flighted you will hardly even know it had one leg because they adapt very well. Of course it will take time to heal and for the bird to adjust but it will adapt very well. Probably better than if it had to wear some "foreign object" (prosthetic) which it may never accept.

Some things will need to be adapted like sleep/rest spots. Some platform perches (with padding) and such so your bird can actually sit down and rest. Normally a bird will just switch legs (standing on one foot) but since he can't this will help. People have even made mini "hammocks" for such purposes.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry to hear about your toucan. Have you tried calling Emerald Forest Bird Gardens – Exotic bird breeders to see if they have any suggestions?