• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3D printer and bird toys

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anyone have a 3D printer and, if so, have you used it to make toys or other items for your birds? How bird safe are the materials used and does the printer create any kind of chemical output or other output that is bad for our birds?
If you have done this, can you post photos or tell us what you have created.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Haven't the foggiest idea on how safe ... we don't have a 3d printer.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
me either

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
If its safe its really cool

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been reading more and it's possible that the fumes produced can be toxic so I will pass.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It's highly possible once the plastic is cured it is safe as far as fumes but I have no clue if the plastic used is safe to chew.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If you think you could have fun and use a 3d printer go for it, just don't make bird toys with it or use it in the same room as your bird. I'd like to have one someday as I can see uses for it making small parts for my cars that break and toys and just cool things. I'd bet if they haven't eventually somebody will come up with critter safe plastics for them, I haven't looked at all the links posted yet though.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nowhere to "hide" the printer except bathrooms and the garage. There are birds in every room. I want a larger home but cost of homes here is very high unless I want to move way out somewhere and even then they are pricey.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
3D printers really make me go :faint: it would be so awesome if we could make bird toys with them! Oh the possibilities:rolleyes:

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I read once about 3D printing edible objects using filaments made of edible materials and it had different tastes to the objects as well

Maybe if in the future people came up with some kind of 3D printing stuff that used 100% parrot safe vegetable materials we would be able to being making parrot toys. Also apparently when 3D printing food it's harder to make more defined shapes than if you're doing it with plastic so we would have toy blobs to start out with.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read once about 3D printing edible objects using filaments made of edible materials and it had different tastes to the objects as well

Maybe if in the future people came up with some kind of 3D printing stuff that used 100% parrot safe vegetable materials we would be able to being making parrot toys. Also apparently when 3D printing food it's harder to make more defined shapes than if you're doing it with plastic so we would have toy blobs to start out with.

I think that would work well for cake decorations and candies.
There are some youtubes as well as websites I found with info about making bird toys.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What I've read is there are 2 main options for 3d printers.
One prints in cornstarch-based plastic, so the printed items do deteriorate over time, but would be safe for birds (they are used to print food containers among other things). They also are supposed to smell like waffles when printing.
There are also ones that print in hard ABS plastic similar to what legos are made from, and they produce harmful fumes when printing. But if you keep the printer out in the garage or basement or something it would probably be ok. The finished printed plastic is probably safe, since it's used for childrens' toys... but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What I've read is there are 2 main options for 3d printers.
One prints in cornstarch, so the printed items do deteriorate over time, but would be safe for birds. They also are supposed to smell like waffles when printing (no bad fumes).
There are also ones that print in hard ABS plastic similar to what legos are made from, and they produce harmful fumes when printing. But if you keep the printer out in the garage or basement or something it would probably be ok. The finished printed plastic is probably safe, since it's used for childrens' toys... but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the info. I've been reading more and have read that some of them have teflon coating and when it heats up it creates fumes. Also many of the nozzles put out lead although you can get stainless steel nozzles which would be safe to use. Then I read this:
"The lab tests showed that ABS is significantly more toxic than PLA, but that the corn-based polymer is not exempt form dangerous emissions, especially if extruded at temperatures higher than 200°C. Furthermore (as may be expected), the same material spools, when acquired from different resellers, release very different quantities of VOCs, even if used in the same 3D printer and under the same parameters of speed and temperature."
I think I'm going to pass on this again and wait until they have safer materials.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Anyone have a 3D printer and, if so, have you used it to make toys or other items for your birds? How bird safe are the materials used and does the printer create any kind of chemical output or other output that is bad for our birds?
If you have done this, can you post photos or tell us what you have created.

Yes, don't have one near or around birds and I would not print out anything bird toy related.