• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3-year-old cockatiel eggs?

Songamas

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sonya
Hi,
My 3-year-old female has been exhibiting hormonal behaviors on and off for some time now but over the past 3 days her behaviour has been unbearable. I’m wondering if she’s about to lay an egg and what I should be doing about this.

She’s normally 98g and is currently 108g, and is fed Bird Tricks seasonal veggie diet with Harrison pellets.

She lives with a 1-year-old Quaker female whom she puts up with but doesn’t particularly like (they sleep in separate cages). She is put to bed at about 8pm in a dark cage in a separate room, and is woken at around 10-11am.

For the past 3 days she’s tweeted excessively, has masterbated numerous times in various different places (!!), has been bitey and unsettled and has ripped up the paper bedding in her sleeping cage.

What should I be doing to either prevent an egg laying, or make sure she stays healthy if she needs to lay an egg?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have seen birds act broody without laying, but with the big weight gain it's definitely possible she might lay something, unless it can be explained by other means like drinking tons of water.

Since she is getting plenty of sleep, maybe try to remove the paper bedding or use a grate so she can't access it.