• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

3 week old lovebird vomiting :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
I am a bit worried atm as im feeding 6 baby lovebirds. I fed baby lovebirds before and have done it without any problems for 2 years.

Last night 1 of my babies started to vomit about half an hour to an hour after the last feeding of the day. I have been up all night with the babies and all of them slept exept the oldest 1 that vomited occasionaly troughout the night, altho i am not sure how much because i fell asleep and i feel so bad about it i cant stop crying atm. Only slept for 3 hours tho. This morning i started the morningfeeding and the oldest 1 does not want to eat at all , not interested in the syringe and he seems very tired , he is breathing fine but sleeping and tired and the not eating concerns me so much.

I have taken him aside to check his poop and see how it will look. I called the vet and he thinks it might be a yeast infection but we will have to go over for him to check, but hubby is not done with work until the afternoon and today is the day where the vet goes on holiday. Really feel unlucky atm and so down and sad. No one can drive me with the baby, i have been reading up alot about yeast infection but its not even sure if it is a yeast infection

I hope i can be calmed down a bit and perhaps get some tips, perhaps someone has first hand experience with a yeast infection and can tell me that it is easy curable. All i can do atm is wait for hubby to come home and panicking about what could happend. The vet said that he could pospone his vacation for an hour or 2 so that is very nice of him atleast.

Forgot to say that so far he has not been vomiting at all but that is probably because there is not that much to vomit out :(

Last edited:

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Now i am thinking maybe i overfed it but i feel like ive didnt , but it might be a reason for the vomitting, oh i just hope it is all gonna be ok.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
oh im crying from joy a bit atm , he just started crying for food and when i got close with my fingers to softly touch his head he made the food movement as in feed me! so im just gonna make a small bit for him atm and feed him while he is hungry.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Gosh I don't know a thing about babies. I would keep him warm and hydrated until you can get him to the vets. I don't know if you can incorporate a tiny bit of yogurt into the forumla to counteract the bad yeast. Hopefully BF or somebody who has baby experience will be on here soon.

Ginger

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
Good luck with the baby lovebird Louise. I really hope that its just a case of over feeding. Keep us posted.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Wow, I hope the little baby lovebird is doing better. I don't know the first thing about handfeeding, so sorry I can't help, but your last post sounded hopeful. It's a good sign that baby wanted to eat. Hope baby is okay.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
it sounds like he just had too much to eat the first time, though I would definitely keep an eye on this little guy...try to keep him as warm as possible etc and a vet visit would be in order as soon as you can get him in.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Many times a pinch of ground Ginger (spice) in the formula will help settle the crop and alleviate vomiting.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Thank you all for the replies, i went to the vet with all the babies and the vet said that he does not have a yeast infection he thinks it probably got overfed and the baby is eating like normal again and fighting with the other babies to be fed.

The doctor is going on vacation but gave us his mobile number in case something is wrong. He was very fond of the babies and said they all are very healthy and on proper weight. He did gave us some Nystatin and if we could see that the poop was getting slimey and white grayish we should give a drop of that when we feed them, he also said we should try to put some natural apple cider vineager , or a drop atleast in the formula.

I am just very happy that he is eating again and being all energetic when its feeding time, other than that its just poop and sleep ofc but they are growing up and soon will stay up longer so yeah im very very happy atm. And i wanna thank you all for the wonderfull replies it calmed me down lots.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
SO glad that Your Babies are ALL OK:hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:hug8:Glad to hear the baby is ok.

vancha

I'd still keep an eye on him. If he was just being overfed, that can cause regurgitation (always good to know that vomiting and regurgitation are different in birds: regurgitation is bringing up food from the crop, is quite natural and not stressful to birds, but vomiting is food from the stomach backing up all the way to the mouth, and generally it is violent, with head shaking), but I wouldn't consider it completely out of the realm of possibility that he has a bacterial infection in his crop. I've had this experience before, but the vomiting didn't stop until the antibiotics started. Can you get a look at his crop by any chance? Even just through the feathers, if you can part them? A crop that has red, visible veins, is a crop that is most likely infected. If your vet says no yeast, I agree: no yeast. But that doesn't rule out bacteria.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
We went to another vet today, since ours went on vacation. Again we dont have any avian vets in Denmark. But this new guy can aparently do medicin and operate on birds.. He name is on all the Danish bird sites. Anyways.

Our little guy was doing fine, but this morning he started breathing hard with a click, not the good kind. The vet put a tube down his crop and made him all empty, and said that the chances of our lille guy making it is around 50/50. He said that the bird got a lung infection. He sent us home with baytril to give him 1 drop everyday for 5 days, and told us to feed him every 2 hours. Problem now is that the bird wont eat, so i called him up again, and he said to then feed 1 drop every 15min.
Im so lost here, he is so weak, and i think we will lose him.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh my Dear,

I am so very sorry. You did everything you could think of to help him make it through. He also knew how much you loved him. I am giving you a big heart hug.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
((((I am so very sorry for your loss))))....he will be flying free with t he angels ...they have a special place for the really little ones..so sorry dear ...

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:( Oh, I'm sorry to hear :hug8: You did everything you could. Fly free little one :angel2:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
So sorry for your loss Louise. You did everything you could to save him. :(

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue