• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2nd Bite This Week

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Instead of completely hijacking @cassiesdad's thread, I thought I'd start my own. But I am continuing his idea that we should post the bad as well as the good of cockatoo ownership. I always post how cute and funny Elvis is etc. And he is. But as the title says, I got my second bite this week from him last night. The first was a few days ago and he grabbed my nose. He didn't break the skin but left a mark. And it was a sobering moment because he has never gone after my face before. Then last night, he grabbed my thumb and did break the skin. Up until now, he had only ever bitten me 2 times in the year and a half-ish since we got him. He's managed to double that in one week. And yes, I do have a pretty good idea of why and what's going on with him, etc. And I actually blame myself for the bite I got last night. But it's a reminder that no matter how loving they are, they can still bite. :backout:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Its the time change. Dark earlier is a big trigger for the itch.

Amanda has suddenly start showing all the signs of starting to build an egg. :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Its the time change. Dark earlier is a big trigger for the itch.

Amanda has suddenly start showing all the signs of starting to build an egg. :(
I agree. The time change has really effected him. That, and our neighbor is having some type of construction work done- back hoes and lots of noise. So, between the two, Elvis is just on edge.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That, and our neighbor is having some type of construction work done- back hoes and lots of noise. So, between the two, Elvis is just on edge.
That kind of stuff (construction, demolition, heavy trucks) gets these guys going too...even the guinea pigs get edgy...running around and squeaking when they hear that kind of noise.

@JLcribber ...John, just a question...when did Amanda last have eggs?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton has been edgy...almost sullen at times...then the mood changes instantaneously. This morning he ran out of his room to come over here to the computer room...he wanted to sit in my lap. I can't remember that last time he did that...unusual things going on with that feather duster right now, for sure...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ouch!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry you got bit. Keno and Cody have been screaming more than usual since the time change but the screaming has started decreasing and they are getting back to their "norm". No biting, though, which is a good thing.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry Elvis bit you twice! Hopefully things will mellow out soon. I hate the time change and get cranky too.:lol:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Different species, but Jasmine got me this week too. While I don't have a 'too I agree with Michelle, its important to post the "other side" of bird companionship. I think too often people see how cute and funny birds are online and it results in an impulse buy-which I believe rarely ends up well for the bird in the long run.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Boy, if only the people who join the board with new babies, new rehomes, and or interested in bringing a bird into the home had an introductory thread attached somewhere for reading that explained behavior changes. Maybe there is and I never saw it. For the most part my conures are even keeled about behavior, although little Ruby has her "pinchy" weeks. Quite understandable on my part, she spends a great deal of time on me while I change papers in the crimson "clan" room. Not hard pinches... but annoying pinches on my arm, hands, neck or shoulders. She just wants me to stop moving around and bending up and down while she's on me. She also loves to spend time with Casey but I do limit this because I have to watch her with him since she will pull feathers from him. If I see her pull just one I make her come back to me... she can be soooo sneaky!!! Casey is always going to be a biter, he reliably steps up on a perch for me. At the present he is really trying to get the "nooky" from Miss Scarlette and his aggression towards me is more so because I don't give them the opportunity to mate... preening is ok... but NO NOOKY!!!!

Lola is fairly even keeled in personality, it's Henry that changes his routine from week to week. He hasn't been aggressive for quite some time unless it's the morning when I let him out. Though I will say, if I don't talk to him now enough before I let him out he'll sit over his bowl and throw pellets out in defiance of not enough conversation. Months prior he didn't want me talking to him ... at all and would come out like a raging bull. For years I could rely on him staying busy eating his evening grub so I could change his papers every evening. And now for the past few months I've been giving him a wood block to destroy when I get started, which has made him like me again. Halleluja. Once the papers are done I give them the evening meal. Now.... the wood blocks are old news. He has an itchy head with lots of pin feathers. He wants his head scratched before his evening meal. I make him wait until I'm done with papers....for now, he'll chew the wood for a short bit while I'm doing Lola's papers and drop it when I'm ready to do his. Call me hard headed... but I'm changing papers first. As a result, he goes in his cage and watches me reach in for his papers. Slightly unnerving to have him inches from me. He's been pretty patient but boy... if I look at him.. it's a game changer in attitude. Days of our lives... we never know what will happen next.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Michelle you dont deserve bites. Its not your fault.
The second one was. Knowing Elvis was in a nippy mood, I wasn't thinking and grabbed a paper towel to wipe squash off my face, put there by Elvis and he went to grab the towel. I think. Or thought the towel was attacking him. Lol. I know better.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's like Milton's bite on my finger...I wasn't paying attention to him (making the bed) and he saw the chance to "help" by grabbing the comforter. Unfortunately, his aim wasn't exact and he got my finger instead.

Lesson learned...ACCOUNT FOR MILTON AT ALL TIMES...lesson taught by Milty himself...;)

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Mine was really grouchy and extra screamy for the first few days after time change too. I got used to the screams being more frequent, and today I looked at him on his perch in the living room and said “Are you okay? You’ve been extra quiet today”. Then he screamed when I left the room so I knew he was fine haha. Everyday after this time change he’s gotten a bit better. Time change is frustrating to me too, but unfortunately I can’t just bite the people who annoy me at work while I’m adjusting to it myself.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Mine was really grouchy and extra screamy for the first few days after time change too. I got used to the screams being more frequent, and today I looked at him on his perch in the living room and said “Are you okay? You’ve been extra quiet today”. Then he screamed when I left the room so I knew he was fine haha. Everyday after this time change he’s gotten a bit better. Time change is frustrating to me too, but unfortunately I can’t just bite the people who annoy me at work while I’m adjusting to it myself.
:rofl: right? Oh how I wish I could just bite people who annoy me! I would look like a vampire at the end of each day! :rofl:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Instead of completely hijacking @cassiesdad's thread, I thought I'd start my own. But I am continuing his idea that we should post the bad as well as the good of cockatoo ownership. I always post how cute and funny Elvis is etc. And he is. But as the title says, I got my second bite this week from him last night. The first was a few days ago and he grabbed my nose. He didn't break the skin but left a mark. And it was a sobering moment because he has never gone after my face before. Then last night, he grabbed my thumb and did break the skin. Up until now, he had only ever bitten me 2 times in the year and a half-ish since we got him. He's managed to double that in one week. And yes, I do have a pretty good idea of why and what's going on with him, etc. And I actually blame myself for the bite I got last night. But it's a reminder that no matter how loving they are, they can still bite. :backout:
I hear you, and even though they love you they still bite. That's how Fred tells me he's aggravated. It's usually a good pinch. I got one last night and one this morning. Then I say OKAY I'M SORRY I WON'T DO IT AGAIN. Then he yells at me and we're good. Lol he always ends with yelling at me lol. Then I say I LOVE YOU. And he cuddles. :xflove:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I've been wearing boots (like John suggested) to protect my feet. Lucy still attacks the boots but at least my feet are finally healing! Yesterday, she grabbed me by the hamstring and I was immobilized. Lucy would not let go! I finally grabbed some Kleenex and started dropping them on her until she released me. It was like she targeted my skin just above the heavy boot! I had been playing with them on the floor while watching a movie for over 2 hours but when I got up she grabbed me...HARD! I guess she doesn't allow bathroom breaks during play time! :( IMG_20181112_095405.jpg