• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

25 days old ALEX- Eye Infection(other issues as well)

Hriday_the19th

Meeting neighbors
Hello to the Keet Street,
i got a 25-30 day old Alexandrine baby on the 12-04-19.
i woke up this morning to feed him when i noticed water literally dripping from his eyes as he was trying to open them.

i cleaned his left eye with a sterilized cotton ball dipped in water and it opened( same thing happened yesterday), today his left eye was also shut and although he opened it i could see some white covering stuck and the ends of the eye to be red-ish,

so i called a vet, sent him the pics and this is what he suggested...
take one bowl of water, add two pinch BORIC ACID, mix - Use this twice daily to clean eyes.
After cleaning - Genticin eye/ear drops- One Drop for One Eye.

he suggested that he might have some bacterial issue so give -enrocin oral solution in water-20 drops in 100ml

And if any vitamin A/E deficiency give- Vimeral Supplement. WhatsApp Image 2019-04-19 at 2.47.53 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-04-19 at 3.23.23 PM.jpeg This is the poop pic for today, that i sent him...he suggested antibacterial and not to feed him water, only handfeeding solution.

DOES ALL THIS SEEM ALRIGHT TO YOU ALL? NEVER HAD SUCH A YOUNG BABY.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Last edited:

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I'm no expert, but the poop seems a bit watery but that could be just the picture, and the eyes are definitely unhealthy. I would listen to the vet for sure.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor baby probably (almost certainly) has an eye infection. Antibiotics have different names in different countries, so I'm not sure what the vet has prescribed. I looked them up and the medications he prescribed appear to be proper for an eye infection and he has also prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic (Enrofloxicin) for any other bacterial infection he may have. I'm sure that you can follow the vet's instructions without harming your baby.

Change his bedding often. Maybe switch to paper towels changed several times a day. Eye infections tend to be easily reinfected.

Good luck with him and please keep us updated on how he is doing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm afraid I have no advice but just wanted to say I hope he's better soon.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I feel like an actual visit to the vet is needed for an actual prescription to clear that up.

Hriday_the19th

Meeting neighbors
Poor baby probably (almost certainly) has an eye infection. Antibiotics have different names in different countries, so I'm not sure what the vet has prescribed. I looked them up and the medications he prescribed appear to be proper for an eye infection and he has also prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic (Enrofloxicin) for any other bacterial infection he may have. I'm sure that you can follow the vet's instructions without harming your baby.

Change his bedding often. Maybe switch to paper towels changed several times a day. Eye infections tend to be easily reinfected.

Good luck with him and please keep us updated on how he is doing.
You are absolutely right, i am changing the bedding from paper to extra-soak-able bedding from amazon. thanks for checking the Thread out and taking the time, i really appreciate it.

ps. i am giving this for eyes, is it okay? cifbax.jpeg doc approves, just double checking.

Hriday_the19th

Meeting neighbors
Can i ask more questions regarding The Baby Alex's care here? or should i start a new thread?

like do babies sleep all the time? because mine rt here eats and goes to sleep (i have to shut his basket lid) and every almost noise he hears in the room he cries, i think he will cry perpetually if i keep him out. I sometimes play music but that helps momentarily.

Hriday_the19th

Meeting neighbors
poster alex.jpeg
1) How much a baby this size sleeps? All day? 12- 14 ?
2) its 35 Degree Celsius( 95F) here, my home is air conditioned, so i keep him in a closet, in a basket, dim sunlight entering...bcuz he cries all the time, i feed him first thing in the morning( a routine and everything) and he doesn't stop! other parrots his age on youtube seem fine! i tried jamming on some beats with him for some time and it worked, but i have to study as well!
3) how much to feed him and how many times. i feed him 15-18ml formula, 3 times-daily.

P.S-When he came to me 7 days ago, poor fellow couldn't even walk properly, the guy who brought him came with him in a cotton bag! like obviously he gets stressed at everything!...i don't want to stress him out even more...but he needs to play!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so i keep him in a closet
He would be better in a small travel cage (with the grid base taken out), and not in a closet. You don´t need a brooder, but also do not put him in a tall cage.
He needs to see you. He is a little baby, all alone. Also, try placing a soft toy in the cage. Buy a babies soft toy as they are usually safer. Something with no loose parts. The baby needs daylight during the day, not locked in a closet, please.

how much to feed him and how many times. i feed him 15-18ml formula, 3 times-daily.
Do you know what his crop is? Do you know when it is full?
Feed him when he is crying with his beak open (begging for food), feed until crop is full. when he cries again, check his crop, is he hungry? feed him.
Important: You must let the crop empty fully at least once per day to avoid yeast infection.

Chicks cry, just like human babies. A WUAKKKKK WUAKKKKK noise. Usually it is when hungry or tired/falling asleep.

Hriday_the19th

Meeting neighbors
He would be better in a small travel cage (with the grid base taken out), and not in a closet. You don´t need a brooder, but also do not put him in a tall cage.
He needs to see you. He is a little baby, all alone. Also, try placing a soft toy in the cage. Buy a babies soft toy as they are usually safer. Something with no loose parts. The baby needs daylight during the day, not locked in a closet, please.

Do you know what his crop is? Do you know when it is full?
Feed him when he is crying with his beak open (begging for food), feed until crop is full. when he cries again, check his crop, is he hungry? feed him.
Important: You must let the crop empty fully at least once per day to avoid yeast infection.

Chicks cry, just like human babies. A WUAKKKKK WUAKKKKK noise. Usually it is when hungry or tired/falling asleep.

ik about the crop, i take extreme care regarding that...but should i feed him every time his crop empties? wouldn't that be over feeding?
also The WUAKKKKK WUAKKKKK noise never goes away...ever! and i feel horrible for letting him cry for so long so i put him back. i will make sure he sees me maybe this calms stuff up, will not leave him alone.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
ik about the crop
Good.

.but should i feed him every time his crop empties?
Yes for sure! Empty crop = hungry baby = lots of WUAKK WUAKKKKK

wouldn't that be over feeding?
No.

Sometimes the chick will cry and you look and there is a little left in the crop, it is ok to feed him. Just remember at least one time a day that crop must empty ok.

From everything you are saying, it makes sense your baby cries, he sounds hungry and lonely, living in the dark. When you fix these things, he should quieten down. Just remember, he will still cry, like, to be fed or when tired or falling asleep.

Please go and buy a small cage, he cannot go into his adult cage as it will be too big. Shop wisely, buy a cage that you can reuse when he is older for vet visits etc.

Please be patient and gentle with him, he is a little fragile baby.
If you have any doubts or problems, please come and post here about them.

He is a very beautiful chick too! What is his name?

Hriday_the19th

Meeting neighbors
Hello @Hriday_the19th , How is your little chick?
Hello, i started giving him the medicines, and the regular hand feeding( every four hour), i cleaned his eyes too, and gave him the eye drops recommended...well...its hard for me to say this...my parrot...the little Alex...well, he got better and now he is better than ever and loves the multiple feeds i give him, he jams with me on music(and stops crying when good music is playing), his eyes are better and he is a lot stronger...the poo is normal. Thank you @Zara.
My only concern now is about the rate of his growth now, ill keep an eye on him.

My Green Cheek is named Natcho- like nachos, and my sis wants to name the Alex- Salsa, which she thinks is funny and "a great pairing". But i'm up for rad parrot names. like names of singers, gods, etc.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so happy to hear he is ok!

Did you take him out of the closet?