• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 year old BHC

deemo

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys, So i bought a 2 year old Caique from a person who had it since it was 6 months old.

He will jump onto my hand when needed, but quickly jumps off the chance he gets, He will take treats from my hands but only if im holding it between 2 fingers. He is really skittish, He is always out of his cage and is ok with me being around, I work from home so i put him a few feet away from me so I am always around, My kids are around and give him treats. He is the most chilled out bird I have ever kept, Does not play, just eats and sleeps, Is this normal? He wont let me touch him though, besides stepping up to get out of the cage or to go back in. He has never attempted to bite yet, and hopefully it stays that way.

Any advice on what I can do?

deemo

Meeting neighbors
Also I have had him for about 2 weeks now.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Give him a lot more time than two weeks. You are still a scary stranger to him.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I think it takes some time to settle in. It does sound like you are having some pretty good interactions so far. Maybe you could ask his previous owners how active he was with them. Caiques are usually pretty high energy and I would have never called my pair "chill." But there are exceptions to every species.

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
Give him time. Keep feeding him treats by hand and talking softly to him. Once he feels like he is safe, he will most likely come out of his shell. If he jumps onto your hand praise him and respect his wishes. If he wants off let him off. Also when he does jump in your hand be very still and don’t walk around just yet. Patience and time is the key.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations! Give him some time to get to know you.
Please be careful with your caique being around other birds. They can turn on a dime and attack for reasons we don’t see.
Especially as his hormones kick in ... right around 3 years old.
Provide separate cages and have supervised playtime when both are out.
:)

deemo

Meeting neighbors
Hi, thanks for the input everyone.

I only let the parakeet around the caique when I am working. So no issues there.