• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

2 Steps Forward and a giant Leap back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I don't know that it makes me feel any better but I did figure out what she ate. About 2 weeks before I adopted Tiki I had a couple friends over for Labor Day weekend. One of my friends opened the window and the latch that locks the window broke off in her hand. I threw the main handle away when it happened. A lot of them have broken and I've replaced them over the past couple years. The original ones are very brittle like plastic even though they were metal (no idea what kind of metal).

Three months later I put Tiki's cage next to that window. She liked climbing on the window sill as the window is about chest high. I pulled the mini blinds all the way up a couple times last week as it was nice and sunny outside. I guess she had access to some pieces that were in the sliding window track. One of the small pieces missing from the underside of the latch looks exactly like what I saw on the xray.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know that it makes me feel any better but I did figure out what she ate. About 2 weeks before I adopted Tiki I had a couple friends over for Labor Day weekend. One of my friends opened the window and the latch that locks the window broke off in her hand. I threw the main handle away when it happened. A lot of them have broken and I've replaced them over the past couple years. The original ones are very brittle like plastic even though they were metal (no idea what kind of metal).

Three months later I put Tiki's cage next to that window. She liked climbing on the window sill as the window is about chest high. I pulled the mini blinds all the way up a couple times last week as it was nice and sunny outside. I guess she had access to some pieces that were in the sliding window track. One of the small pieces missing from the underside of the latch looks exactly like what I saw on the xray.
You had no way to know that she would pick at it. Dont blame yourself,cherish the time that you had with her. :hug8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Jessica, I am so very sorry.

Please do not beat yourself up. I lost my beloved eclectus to lead poisoning from a stupid lamp I bought. I had no idea. I KNOW what you are going through right now. PLEASE do not feel responsible. It was an accident.

Again, I am so very sorry.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Jessica, I am so very sorry.

Please do not beat yourself up. I lost my beloved eclectus to lead poisoning from a stupid lamp I bought. I had no idea. I KNOW what you are going through right now. PLEASE do not feel responsible. It was an accident.

Again, I am so very sorry.

yes, don't blame yourself it was an accident, and no one's perfect! :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Again, I'm so sorry. For me, I think knowing the cause would help a little because the mystery would be almost unbearable. :hug5:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Thank you so much for explaining what caused her illness--I'm sure it wasn't easy to write, but you've helped everybody by sharing this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.