• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

2 Steps Forward and a giant Leap back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Update - Staying @ the E-Vet

This morning I noticed that Tiki was acting a bit off. I had brought a chair next to her cage to read. I've been doing this often to get her used to being close to me without trying to touch her (very hand shy). She is normally very alert and attentitive to what I'm doing, even when I'm just reading. Today she was puffed up and closing her eyes a lot.

Then I watched her take large drinks of water and vomit it all up within 60 seconds. She did that twice.

I took her to the emergency clinic where the first thing that they wanted to rule out was a foreign body in her digestive tract. She has not been anywhere unsupervised for at least two weeks but she has been bad in the past about climbing off her cage if I leave the room for a few minutes.

It took them two tries to get one xray shot as she was so panicked she almost hurt herself when they were trying to hold her still. But an object (likely metal) did show up on the one and only xray. I have absolutely no idea what the object is or where she got it from.

Now I have to give her medication twice a day orally for the next 5 days, stop for 5 days, then repeat. The object cannot be surgically removed so the medication will bind with any metal in her blood stream as it is broken down by the digestive tract. I have to stop for 5 days to keep the medication from binding even with metals the body normally needs at some level, like magnesium. I just started clicker training with her exactly a week ago and now I have to torture her by restraining her to give her the medication. There goes all the trust I've gotten from her so far. :(

I have to take her back during the week for blood testing to find out if she has any zinc or lead in her blood. I have her in a carrier covered with a towel right now to keep a better eye on her. I have to make sure she is able to keep the medication down as she may continue to vomit. They tube fed her and gave her SQ fluids before we left though as she was already dehydrated.

In all her prognosis is ok for right now but I know she is going to be even worse that she was already about being handled. Before she distrusted me and now I'm giving her a reason to hate being handled.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I dis agree on the "dis trust" thing...I have given many a bird who didn't like to be handled meds and in the long run was a "bonding" because they understood I was helping them...
Also for your bird...give him peanut butter to help the metal pass through...a little every day...
Other will come on who have gone through this also...It's OK..and glad you caught it quickly!:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry you are going through this.But I think like BF its not a set back.Tiki knows you are trying to help her.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so very very sorry you are going through this..hope your birdies gets better soon

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
hun this is a bonding time what ever you do in handling her tell her in a soft voice you love her speak to her all the time when this is over ill bet you will be closer than you thought
remember things happen for a reason so think positive
good luck

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so sorry that little Tiki isnt feeling well. I hope she gets better soon.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:eek: Tiki! Get better! :hug8:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sending healing prayers to Tiki and positive energy your way. I'm sorry that this happened. Glad you were able to take quick action. I, too, would look at it as more of a bonding experience than taking a few steps back. I really believe animals sense when we are trying to help them and save their lives. Wishing you both the best. Please keep us posted on Tiki. :hug8:

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I do hope she is able to recognize that I am helping her. I was going to post the xray but it's in a weird file format and does not want to work properly.

I put her back in her regular cage about an hour ago. She was getting antsy in the carrier. The first thing she did was take a long drink of water. I took the water away for a little bit to keep her from drinking too much. I was worried she might start vomiting again if she drank too quickly.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
She is doing a lot worse this morning. I am going to try feeding her with a syringe later as she is not interested in food at all right now. She did drink a lot of water but vomited some of it.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww! Poor little Tiki! :( I hope shes better soon! :hug8:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Prayers for a speedy recovery. That's most important right now. You'll get back to where you were. I swear they know we are trying to help them. She knows. :)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sending more healing prayers to Tiki and to you as well.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
She is doing a lot worse this morning. I am going to try feeding her with a syringe later as she is not interested in food at all right now. She did drink a lot of water but vomited some of it.

Do you have Bragg's Apple Cinder Vinegar on hand?
http://forums.avianavenue.com/holistic-avenue/333-apple-cider-vinegar.html
If so, mix about 1/4 tsp with her formula liquid...this will help the crop digest the food/water and it wouldn't hurt to put a little in her drinking water...
You still need to keep her warm...this is so very important with her being sick...Sending LOTS of healing energy to her:hug8:

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I wouldn't take her water away whether she vomits or not. She needs that water. Some of it will get through.

You need to start investigating where she may have gotten a hold of that metal. Examine her cage very carefully along with all her toys or anything/anywhere she may have touched or been.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I found some apple cider vinegar. I boiled the syringe, water and vinegar and then made a batch of hand feeding formula. I am starting to get really worried about her. I got her to eat a few syringes full of food. I put her cage over a heating pad and put it inside a cabinet so it's dark, quiet and holding the heat in. If she's not doing any better in a couple hours I will be taking her back to vet. I'm not sure what they will be able to do that I have not already done besides giving her oxygen treatment though...

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
oh tiki... :( hope he starts getting better soon!! praying for you guys. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I found some apple cider vinegar. I boiled the syringe, water and vinegar and then made a batch of hand feeding formula. I am starting to get really worried about her. I got her to eat a few syringes full of food. I put her cage over a heating pad and put it inside a cabinet so it's dark, quiet and holding the heat in. If she's not doing any better in a couple hours I will be taking her back to vet. I'm not sure what they will be able to do that I have not already done besides giving her oxygen treatment though...
If that needs to be done, then do it...I keep a 10 gal fish tank (heating pad wrapped in towel) for my birds to maintain the air temp for them during sick times....as long as they are taking meds and a couple of days afterwards, they stay in the tank with the screen top....away from the other birds and in a quiet place....
Keeping fingers crossed and sending POSITIVE HEALING energy....:hug8:

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I took her in about an hour ago. The vet who saw her yesterday saw her again today. According to her Tiki may not have made it through the night if she'd stayed at home.

They're going to be giving her the injectable Calsenate, put her on an IV in an incubator and will be keeping her fed and hydrated. The vet said the metal may have built up to levels in her blood that could not be lowered fast enough by the oral medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.