• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 partially blind conures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
hey all,

well the other day my boss (one of many, lol) came up to me and said "youre the one who likes birds right?" i of course responded as you all would 'I LOVE BIRDS!" so she then told me of her friend who is a breeder who had a clutch of 4 yellow sided green cheeks and 2 of them were born with a cloudy right eye leaving them blind in that eye and having not so perfect vision in the other (apparently due to a vitamin deficiency or something during the development) so i of course said i would take them in. so now i have these two adorable yellow sides huddled up in a corner of a long and shallow breeder cage (they hate being up high, and seem to use shadows to tell whats happening) so they have many perches very low and a happy hut to hide away in :heart:

i am getting them used to my voice and have been talkin to them non stop whenever im in the room and hopefully soon they will be comfortable enough that they dont have to live out their lives in a cage just because they cant see very well.

they are very quiet and reserved until its time to eat them they seem to break out of their shells and act like any other hungry birdy, aka, lots of noise and excitement. i wouldnt trade these guys for anything and im glad that finally i was able to help out birds in need and give them a loving forever home.

pictures to come as soon as they feel a little more comfortable with eveerything (not that they would know that i was taking their picture anyways :rolleyes:

with love from Eric and the flock

Mai Tai the caique
Gin & Tonic the budgies
and now

Cosmo and Kahlua the darling little yellow sides <3

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Bless you for taking these babies. Looking forward to pictures.:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
congrats on your new additions, looking forward to pics! :heart:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Eric that is wonderful. They are very happy to have you as their caregiver. I cant wait to see some pictures.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Aww. Congrats on your new additions. Can't wait to see pictures.

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
That's awesome Eric! Congrats on your new babies. Can't wait to see pics.

gritsinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cathy
That's awesome! So glad you could give them a wonderful forever home!!!

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That is great!! Can't wait to see pics! Bless you for giving them their forever home!!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Just be sure to talk to them so they know you are around. There is a completely blind Elenora cockatoo at the rescue I volunteer at. He responds to words. He knows what a "treat" is and will hold out his beak when you say it. He also knows what "scratch your head?" means and will put his head down for scratches. He freaks out sometimes when he doesn't know what's going on though.
We never rearrange his cage and we roll a play stand to his door and then bang on it so he knows it's there and he comes out on his own. He really likes it when people talk to him and give him lots of attention and he loves toys that make noise.
We also keep fleece or a towel in the bottom of his cage in case he falls.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Bless your heart Eric. Thanks for taking them and giving them a loving home.:hug8:

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for all the support :)

I've been having nonstop conversations with them since I brought them home :) I start when im walking down the hall to their room so I don't sneak up on them. I get so involved in the conversations with them in fact I have caught myself not talking while Nswering a text because I didn't want to say what I was typing cuz it was off topic of what I was discussing with them. As if they would notice! Lol. And I have a nice new set of towels for their cage bottom since they usually hang out therebut im tryin to help them learn to perch and balance better since their old cage had no perches :( and I just face them some birdy bread before bed to forage for and they seem to be having a great time :) warms my heart seeing them have fun and just be birds!

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for all the support :)

I've been having nonstop conversations with them since I brought them home :) I start when im walking down the hall to their room so I don't sneak up on them. I get so involved in the conversations with them in fact I have caught myself not talking while Nswering a text because I didn't want to say what I was typing cuz it was off topic of what I was discussing with them. As if they would notice! Lol. And I have a nice new set of towels for their cage bottom since they usually hang out therebut im tryin to help them learn to perch and balance better since their old cage had no perches :( and I just face them some birdy bread before bed to forage for and they seem to be having a great time :) warms my heart seeing them have fun and just be birds!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats so wonderful that you were able to take them in.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are very lucky to have been taken in by someone who is so caring and knowledgable.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.