• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 birds of the same species.. Will they prefer each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone asked me whether I'd consider getting another grey. :huh:

I said NO thankyou!!:p
I think the reason why I personally wouldn't is because I value the relationship that I have with Emma too much to even entertain that possibility.:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think it depends. There are birds that are “flock birds”, for example, Cockatiels and Budgies, which do much better in twos. (three would be chancing the third bird being 'ganged up' on)

My Budgies prefer each other, which I don’t mind, I am more then happy to see them have each other, and be much happier. (none of them are tame)

My Cockatiels on the other hand, I have a few that are clingy, and much prefer me over the other Cockatiels, and then the rest are pretty much both, me and each other, not one or the other.

My 2 Green Cheek Conures highly dislike
each other, and they are same species, they have made it very obvious that they don’t (and never will) prefer each other, they prefer having me over having each other.

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have to agree with Renae. It depends on the bird. They could hate each other and you, love each other and not you, or love each other and you, or not each other but you... lol I think I just confused myself!

Anyway I do agree with you though.
My grandma always says, "Don't fix what isn't broken!!!" :D

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
While I LOVE the relationship I have with Jasper (though I could do without quite so much love-puking) I have the opposite reaction- I very much want to get him a companion because I always feel guilty that I cannot be there with him 24/7 like a real flock-mate would be. :( I can never give him what another bird could. That said, as Renae pointed out, it may not work according to plan, and Jasper may not ever be buddy-buddy with another bird, but at least they'll be able to yell at each other all day while I'm gone! :hehe:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I like the idea of my birds each having a birdy partner. I work a lot and it would be so great if they could cuddle and preen with one of their own kind while I'm not around.

That was my thinking when I took in Beanie. I thought that he and Dende would find companionship with each other.

Unfortunately they barely tolerate each other. :rolleyes: But at least they both speak the same language. ;)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
It does depend on the bird.

When I was still living with my parents, Piper had two buddies and he still preferred me.

I have two Meyer's and they couldn't care less about each other, same thing about my two Red-bellied parrots.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Well, I have two Cockatoos, two greys, and two male Ekkies who are biological siblings and I have to say that everyone hates everyone in my house. The Ekkies are like true siblings and will get along here and there but fight as well and it doesn't stop them from wanting me and not wanting to share me...it actually gets tiresome. The greys, while they have a relationship of sorts, it's more antagonistic than anything but they are fun to listen to when they chat with each other. The Cockatoos...well, baby Kishka desperately wants to be friends with Reggie and Reggie does put up with him here and there, but I think he'd rather be without a pesky little side kick. Kishka also has no idea how to not be hyper and obnoxious. He will preen Reggie when Reggie is agreeable and then start beak banging on Reggie's head...he's kind of a snot. Both birds love to spend time with me, so their "relationship" has had no change in their behavior either.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really does depend on the birds. I do think you have a better shot at harmony when the birds are the same species, because that's much more natural. Working with nature rather than against her is usually a better idea... But unless they're a mated pair, I don't think you would automatically be left out...

As you know, in my case, my Hahn's was lonely--and obviously lonely. So I got him a friend--I thought to myself--he's my whole heart, but if he's miserable, I'm miserable. If he ends up loving this other bird and not loving me, so be it; I want him to be happy. And, everything worked out very well. They love each other, and they love me. :) :heart: Plus, I get the joy of watching them play and preen and chat. But, I don't necessarily think it would work that way with my girls. :huh: I don't think if I brought in another B&G or another RFM that it would just automatically be all sweetness and light.

Attachments

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I also agree that it depends on the bird. My cockatiels prefer each other but they also love to be with me and love the attention that I provide for them. The conures prefer each and are bonded 100%- and that's fine with me. :) then Sammy and Kiwi are only bonded to me and they are the only single birds that I have. I wouldn't get another amazon because I value my relationship with Sammy too much also. I haven't had a chance to form a strong relationship with Kiwi since I have only had him since May, but he's getting better.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I notice that in my flock, the tiels stick together, the lovies stick together, the quakers stick together. The lovies and tiels are mates so thats understandable. The quakers are both males.

When i first brought Mika back home, him and Cloud despised each other. I couldnt even put them on the same stand without them chasing each other. It took almost a year, and eventually i would come into the birdroom and find them in each others cages, calling each other, etc. They now share a cage in the living room.which i never thought would have been possible.

Sometimes itll take time, but, somtimes itll just never work. I say if she seems happy then dont bother =)

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
my 2 Green Cheek Conures highly dislike each other, and they are same species, they have made it very obvious that they don’t (and never will) prefer each other, they prefer having me over having each other.
This is how all of my Conures are. Although, my BCC can hang with my LB. :hehe:

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I've had a few experiences with bird relationships and if you want to keep the relationship you have, do not get another gray. I am not saying they would bond as everyone has said, it is up to each bird but if they did, in most cases you would lose the relationship or somewhat of what you have.

I had a GCC and got him a MBC for a friend. GCC was cuddly and lovable and had to spend every moment with me. After him and my MBC bonded, I lost all friendship, couldn't even pat him anymore. The MBC was friends with me still though.

Then I took in a FSC who is now friends with my CBC. My CBC was purchased as a baby and was developing a good friendship when my FSC came home. Now my CBC doesn't care to spend as much time with me as she used to. She prefers her feathered friend.

In both cases I am very happy that they are finding friendships with their own species but I still miss the loving times we would sit and cuddle for hours.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Not in my case. I thought for sure that since Penny and Pru were babies still, and the same species, theyd love eachother and snuggle up at night.....

Not so....they hate eachother. But Im not sad since that means they are each individually devoted to me.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
It is quite amazing to hear the birds that do not like each other. I have two sets of conures who adore each other and even a conure and amazon who are are best of friends. I've only had one in my flock that one point in time or another has never made friends with anyone in my home, that was my quaker.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Gcc hates all other birds,she has attacked and tried to kill another GCC, Simba and 2 teils.

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
I really prefer every animal to have another of it's own species as a companion, whenever possible, regardles of how it might change their relationship with me, I think it's only fair to them. Thus, I have many multiples (dogs, catss, birds.) Although Willow, Aspen, and Maple don't have their own exact species, I wish they did, but at least they do have other Amazons.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
None of mine really hang out with each other, except Bonnie and Clyde and they are both BCC...I would never get another birds expecting them to get along. Whenever I have brought a new bird into our home I always make sure they have their own space and place to call home. I am also one that gets a little nervous to let them try to interact....bitten toes,etc...scares me! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.