• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 13 week old baby GW macaw losing weight

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Name: Robert

Genealogy: Wild parents; raised until 8 weeks old then abandoned
Adoption: Given to me by a friend to hand feed and raise as my buddy

Plumage: Head, wings and tail intact; mother plucked rest of body; new fluff and feather growths emerging
Home: My entire house; free range; sleeps in a cage at night for his safety; have a 5 ft x 6 ft aviary when he gets older

Vet: Non-Avian vet (knowledgeable with Avians though)

Current Meds: Amoxicillin oral 100 mg suspension (flavoured)
Dosage: .5 ml twice a day ( 1 ml a day)
Reason: Wheezing, sneezing and tail bobbing
Diagnosis: Aspiration/Respiratory infection
Duration for Meds: 7 days
Total time on Meds: full 7 days
04/Apr/16 - 10/Apr/16

Previous Meds: Diflucan 150mg gelatin capsule
Dosage: 20mg a day
Reason: Slow crop, sour breath, dough texture to crop, food undigested in poop, white blobs in mouth
Diagnosis: Candidiasis
Duration for Meds: 7 days
Total time on Meds: full 7 days
15/Mar/16 - 21/Mar/16

Off all medication for 10 days

Diet: Kaytee Exact Hand feed
Frequency: 3 times a day

Good day all,

Robert started eating less about 2 weeks ago when he was 11 weeks old. I assumed it was because of the medication. He used to eat 90cc 3 times a day. Now he will have 60 ml - 100 ml in the morning, about 40 ml during the day and about 60 ml - 100 ml at night. He has become interested in solid food around 2 weeks ago when he started eating less. I am offering him pellets moistened with water and bananas. He mostly plays with the food but sometimes he has a bit to eat. Also 2 weeks ago he has started flapping alot. And I mean ALOT. All he does is play, follow us around the house and FLAP. He also has gotten alot stronger as he climbs up everything. He climbs to the top of the gate, the bed, the couch. Once its taller than him, he climbs to the top and perches there until we pass by him and he come down, then percher high up where ever we move too. He also likes to play with us alot. He is extremely active for the last 2 weeks.

Now the scary part is, he has lost alot of weight. 2 weeks ago he weighed about 1050g at 11 weeks. But today at 13 weeks old he weighs 980g. That is a 7% loss in body weight in 2 weeks. My wife thinks it nothing as Robert has been extremely active for the last 2 weeks. Running all over the house and flapping up a storm. he is almost ready to fly.

I am so worried. please advise me. I told the vet (non avian) and he said it's probably nothing. We dont have any avian vets in my country.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I know birds loose weight in preparation for flight but I don't know how much to expect. @melissasparrots has baby bird info

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i do not know i hope every thing is alright

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It sounds more like normal fledging behavior - they do tend to lose some of their baby fat as they get ready to fly. 13 weeks does seem a little bit young, but given that he is being very active and flapping a lot, it really does sound like fledging behavior.
You might also want to add a little more fat to his diet; macaws need more fat than other parrots and it will help him keep his weight up. Kaytee makes a high fat formula for macaws, or you could offer some nut meal or nut butter.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
While I would love to say that it is normal weaning I also have seen quite a few photos of your babies poop. (Member multiple forum)

I do advise to find an avian vet to take your baby too for a check up.

While I would love to give advice here, I am not a vet and don't wish to steer you in the wrong direction.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
To me, that's a concerning amount of weight. However, I could find no data online indicating what percentage GWs typically lose when slimming for flight, and I'm not an expert. I'd echo @Macawnutz and encourage you to seek an avian vet for testing.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Typically they say 10-12% loss.

If this were a healthy baby thus far I would feel comfortable in advising less and staying concerned.

Two rounds of antibiotics and odd looking fecals throughout. That's concerning to me at such a young age.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Typically they say 10-12% loss.

If this were a healthy baby thus far I would feel comfortable in advising less and staying concerned.

Two rounds of antibiotics and odd looking fecals throughout. That's concerning to me at such a young age.

Agreed. Better safe than sorry. I don't know if it's feasible, but @chad84 , maybe your vet could network with the closest avian vet, take samples, and overnight them?

chad84

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
No avian vets in our country. I asked him if it's normal and he said wait 48hrs then notify him again if nothing changes. He says he thinks its all the activity mixing faeces and urine making that odd colour. But I no where else to turn. Sigh...
He is so active, flapping, running, jumping off every high perch he finds. Will do more searching and see if I can find a more knowledgeable vet.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
No avian vets in our country. I asked him if it's normal and he said wait 48hrs then notify him again if nothing changes. He says he thinks its all the activity mixing faeces and urine making that odd colour. But I no where else to turn. Sigh...
He is so active, flapping, running, jumping off every high perch he finds. Will do more searching and see if I can find a more knowledgeable vet.

But maybe he or she could send some samples for testing to an avian vet? It's fine for him to say "wait 48 hours," but it's YOUR baby. You have to wonder and worry.