• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

13 hours 1 car 3 kids 2 dogs and 1 caique need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
So we are finally moving to NC and I need advice how to travel with Kai in the car for 13 hours. Things are gonna be so crazy for the next two weeks until we get settled. Any advice? what's a good travel food? I'm so nervous about upsetting his routine and trying to settle in a new place and how hectic it will be.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I drive to MI a couple of times a year, and it is a 12 hour drive one way. Make frequent stops for water. We also let Jingo out to walk around a little bit (with all windows up, etc) when we stopped so he could get out. We traveled with him in a cat carrier, with half covered with a blanket - really he slept most of the way.

A good way to get Jingo to eat was organic baby food - it has much needed moisture and gave him nutrients he wasn't getting otherwise :)

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
I have never traveled further than 3 hours with the fids, but I agree with Shawna... frequent stops are key. When you have the dogs out for a walk, let someone stay in the car and let Kai out for some playtime. They have special perches for car seats, maybe get one of those and he can even hang out with the kids while you drive. If you don't have a carrier already, a cat carrier with a hole drilled in it, then a perch placed in the hole like you would in the cage, it makes a great carrier and the darkness will help Kai stay calm. Put a few foot toys in there, and my best advice for food is fresh food... veggies, fruits, whatever! Something that has natural water, as Shawna said, since water is not exactly easy to keep in a bowl in a car. This is how every bird I ever got through shipping was sent: lots of naturally moist food.

Best of luck with your move!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I did a short road trip over 3-4 days with my birds during a move a few days years ago. The caique was not a year old yet, the conure about 2 yrs. old. The conure was used to road trips and got the run of the SUV during the trip. He had a blast, as usual. The caique stayed in his cage which was larger than a travel cage, but not super big. It is now his night cage and I have a bigger one for traveling. He handled the trip well. In the hotels, he still played and wrestled and settled down to sleep. I made the trip with my mother and we never left the birds alone in the car.

I have moved a couple times since and both birds have handled the moves well. I think having the famliarity of their cages and toys in the new house helps a lot. This last move into a bigger house did seem to take some adjustment, but I have to say that they do seem happy now. They have their own room and the caique's biting seems to have actually lessened. It's really important to stay as much as possible to the same schedule. They still snuggle before bed, eat while I eat, play on the counter while I get ready for work, and go in the cages for the day, just as always. I think keeping to the routine make them feel safe and secure.

sweetpeaches

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Susan
I've never traveled a long trip with Bailey, but a nice carrier with toys and food will be good. I'd just make sure if Kai's wings aren't clipped to be extra careful. I had a friend that had a caique that would always get car sick. So she found if she covered the carrier on three sides he did better. I think Kai will do fine once settled in, the most important thing is that he still has you and the kids around (his flock). Wish you the best in your new home.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've traveled alot with Hiram .He's achamp at traveling now.Just have something for him to perch on and maybe his favorite toy in the carrier.(food an dwater)But don't be surprised if hes all eyes watching everything go by.I would cover his carrier on three sides also.Just be OCD on that carrier door.Making sure it stays latched tightly.

13 hours 1 car 3 kids 2 dogs and 1 caique need advice ...calgon take me awayyyyyyyyyyyyy (ok i just dated myself with that statement:lol:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had a friend that had a caique that would always get car sick. So she found if she covered the carrier on three sides he did better.
Good point; we tried to let Jingo come out when the car was moving, but it just made him sick :(

~*~ Sent from my phone, so please excuse any typos! ~*~

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
it is said so i read at least that they travel better sitting flat and not on a perch ....:)

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
it is said so i read at least that they travel better sitting flat and not on a perch ....:)
Maybe, but all of mine will cling to the crate door if they don't have a perch (even Ziggy, when he was still woozy from anesthesia), so it's much more comfortable for them to provide a perch.

With respect to the original question - I'd take some nice calming drugs and have someone else drive. :D

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Ok I have the cat crate he came to me in. It has a perch. He's been in it for short trips and was fine but I'm so stressing over the long drive and the new location with kids dogs and a caique. Thx for the advice. I'll buy up lots of fresh produce before we leave and the baby food sounds like a good option too. Oh man I can't wait to get this over with. My nerves are all torn up already. I have not moved in 12 years. And then it was with one baby no animals.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
If you are stressed out, your bird will be ,too. Try as best you can to act normally, speak in a calm voice, etc. Also, if you put in a perch, make sure it points in the direction of motion, so if you apply the brakes, the bird doesn't spin around the perch, but instead can shift his weight. I wouldn't let him loose in the car while it's in motion (imagine if he gets spooked by something!) Don't forget to put him in the back seat & buckle in the carrier, just like w/a kid. Have a safe trip!:)

Last edited:

sweetpeaches

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Susan
Don't forget to put him in the back seat & buckle in the carrier, just like w/a kid. Have a safe trip!:)
Good point! I always buckle Bailey's carrier in when I take him in the car.

I never thought about placing the carrier in the opposite direction of motion? that sounds like a good idea too.

As far as the actual move goes, I can only imagine how stressed I would be. I'm 55 yrs old and have lived in the same house almost all my life! I think I'd be stressed out just trying to pack all the things I've accumulated since childhood into marriage with kids and animals...lol...but I know people do it and survive;)

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
I honestly think Jack is so good at traveling... One: because I am calm. They sence when you are uneasy and normally display the same attitude. And two We make it fun. He always has special toys and food. I would hit a whole foods and get a variety of snacks for the kids and the bird. Provide the kids with new books or games... even a portable dvd player would be good. And Noramlly all dogs are happy if they are with their people and their people are calm and happy. And a window seat always helps with brownie points. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.