• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

10 WEEKS OLD IRN HATE CAGE

TDqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
i think he just does not like being inside and consider his cage only for sleeping. It's just i feel bad having to lock him on the bathroom or on the cage when it is not safe for him.

TDqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
Bird's don't enjoy sitting around on perches for hours at a time with no one to talk to, especially when they're bonded to someone.
What you're doing is essentially keeping him locked up in solitary confinement for most of the day. A 20x20 cage isn't going to cut it. My lovebirds have larger cages than that, and they're always excited to get out and play.
Thank you for your advice i really appreciate your input. but i think you are misunderstanding what i am saying. yes i go to work for long hours. but no my bird cannot tolerate a single min on the cage therefor is not cage at all. i wish he could stay for an hour or two yes. specially when i am not at home and hubby is cooking or working or when he cannot look after him.

Last edited:

TDqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
for sharing only :) here is my naughty baby hating on a toy i am trying to introduce him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Take the old cage away from his sight. Have patience too. He is but a baby and he has been taken away from where he was hatched and comfortable. Is he playing with the toys you provide at all? Why do you feel his cage is not safe?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He is so pretty. I feel like he needs to get used to the cage. Put him in, shut the door, and leave the room. When he becomes quiet you can come back. Don’t come back while he is screaming! He will think you rewarded him for screaming.

TDqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
he is trying to go out too much and ruining his feather, knocking his water, food or whatever inside because he is panic and scared. that's why i think it is not safe.

btw, thank you everyone for listening. sometimes we owner can get too much paranoid and any advise from people who are willing to listen is already a big help :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How long has he been left in the cage? I am wondering if he would settle down, especially if you left the room. You could put towels on the sides and bottom.

TDqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
we left him for an hour in the cage. he stop creaming but when we get back he is still biting his cage, found one of his feather on his water bowl and he is soaking wet, from his formula in the bowl and water. his food was scattered, and his beak got a good filling from biting so hard.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Yeah, that's not a good thing mate. He can damage his beak to the point where it won't regrow or break a blood feather.

Can you show us a picture of the cage?

kiwi2017

Sitting on the front steps
So I’m the one with the IRN the same age, your bird and mine look exactly the same BTW. From watching your video it looks like your guy is a bit more aggressive than mine. I gave the exact same ball toy too and Klover loves his but likes to carry it around and then drop it on the floor waiting for someone to pick it up...new game, but he’s not aggressive with the ball at all.
Your IRN backed off stepping up on your hand like mine still does sometimes (I’ve only had mine two weeks) so I think from watching other videos too that’s a normal IRN thing. What I’m wondering is if there’s something in the cage that’s scaring him. Mine gets spooked pretty easy still by some things that are new, or say if he fell off something etc. I’m thinking, with the exception of perches, you try removing everything else from his new cage and see how he does. Then if it goes better start reintroduceing his cage stuff till you see what it is. Also, although I’ve built a play stand for the top of my flight cage a Klover still prefers to just hang out up there without the play stand, it scares him. So I lay a towel down on top, put some toys on, some food and make it a place he wants to be and is comfortable. Then he’s happy to go inside when he wants to sleep, play with other toys etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is there anything in his cage that is new and might be scaring him?

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Three things I would recommend. While you are gone can you leave a TV on for him or a radio at the least? Second I would work on getting him interested in foraging toys where you can hide some of his favorite treats to hunt for while you are at work. Make it a fun time for him while he is alone. I would probably get a bigger cage as well!!!