• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 or 2

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi guys!
Pepito is doing great. He eats pellets, steps up, and explores. He chirps and seems happy! He makes laughing sounds. He does try to hang out with my maxilmillian pionus who is scared of him. A breeder nearby has babies. My gut instinct says to stick with one - I am at home and I have 3 pionus who are happy one on one too I love seeing Pepito motor around. I would hate for him to bond with another bird and not me. Right now we are pals and he nibbles my lip.

Attachments

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I'm so in love with Pepito! I know you feel about wanting them to be happy and have a mate. I felt the same and got my lovely Carmen, a beautiful mate named Diablo. However, now I'm a little lonely. She still steps up, down, kisses, comes when I call, eats out of my hands no problem. It also is helping me train Diablo as if he doesn't do what she does, she makes sure he knows to do it right! LOL. That being said, she is more distant from me. She was my constant companion. Always with me. Now, not so much. She wants to be with Diablo and just cuddle and boss him around. In turn he bosses everyone else around. LOL. I have absolutely no intentions of breeding any of my birds. I am ready with fake eggs and know what to do, since I've had chickens for almost nine years and know what brooding is like.

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you! I will keep it the way it is then. It is a good balance now.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
More than most species Linnies thrive with another Linnie for company. I think it is somewhat selfish to not get a second Linnie because one is afraid that single bird will be "distant" from them. After all its the bird's happiness and good health that are most important.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
People can't meet the social needs of birds as well as one of their own kind. On the other hand, two Linnies may not bond but they will probably become friends. I have two male GCCs that are bonded and yes, my first bird is now less interested in me to some extent but I think that is good. It is wonderful to see them together. Of course there are all sorts of considerations - space, time, money.

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Good points. The whole idea of having birds as pets in a cage and not flying free in South America is selfish though. I am happy in giving my birds lots of attention since I am at home, having them in open cages when I am aroundnd and hearing them chuckle to each other from their cage top stands and get excited about veggie time together I know in my gut that getting another linnie would upset the good thing going on here. You do what works for you though, Ladyjane.