• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 caique or 2 caiques. That is the question!

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
So I've been doing a lot of caique reading lately.
Initially I was thinking about getting one caique but the more I read it seems to be the consensus that two caiques may be better for the overall happiness of the bird(s).

I was wondering what the noise level is like with two caiques? Lots of screaming and chatter? Throughout the day or just part of the day? I know it's different from bird to bird but a general idea would be nice.

My last caique liked to vocalize every morning at 7AM on the dot for about 10 minutes straight before going back to his usual grunting and grumbling (and by vocalize I mean scream his heart out). Then spend the rest of the day fairly quiet.

Also, what cage dimensions are recommended for a pair if they're housed together? If I decide to get two I will be purchasing them from the same breeder at the same time to help reduce the chances of fighting. (Or should I just get two separate cages regardless?)

I'm not completely sure on two at this time but I like to consider all possibilities.

My biggest wish is to be able to take my bird(s) on walks and family trips but I'm wondering if juggling two birds at once (esp caiques) is going to be too much to handle at the same time. (Or will having two actually make it easier?)
On the other hand, my biggest fear is that if I have a single bird it might reject me in favor of my husband or someone else. (I don't mind sharing but I'm selfish and I want to be my bird child's #1 human.) I've experienced the rejection of birds before with a pair of mallard ducks (both female) even though I raised them since they were babies and the rejection was real, especially after experiencing the loving affections of a previous duckling who had eyes only for me.

Anyways, I would love any input. I'll probably post more questions in the caique forum in the coming days.
Thank you everyone. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m kind of the newbie to this as I’ve only had my 2nd one 3 months. We had Rio for a year. She likes us both and will fly from one to the other. I kept hearing that you should have two plus she just wanted sooo much attention.

I first got a 2 year old, flew him in from NC and he liked Tio and hubby but he HATED me. He’d fly over to attack me every time his door was opened. Since I do the bird care, and probably since he disliked having to detach the bird from my bleeding body parts hubby said let’s rehome him so we found him an awesome family.

We next got Captain Jack and he’s working out great. He and Rio are best buddies. The squabbling is something to get used to, when they play it is ROUGH and they sound like they are killing each other.

The noise is way way wayyyy louder with 2. Ear splitting loud. They’re not in the TV room but they can drown it out.

I do find it hard to juggle 2 and take them out (away from home) a lot less now. And instead of one wanting attention now 2 want it. So it’s kind of hard but they are darling.

Good luck in making this decision.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Haha,,,@saroj12 ....my friend had two babies in her bird store, they were certainly a handful...

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Friends of mine who only have one regret not getting two.
Another friend who only had one loved it when they got the 2nd one.
Since you are asking - I would say - get two. They are so much fun.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I don't have two caiques, but my caique (3yrs old) is bonded with my Quaker (5yrs). Cake is very demanding of attention from both myself and Pippin, and his playstyle is way too rough for Pippin.

Caiques are so demanding, and I wouldn't rely on a second caique to mitigate their attention needs. Only get a single caique if you're certain you can deal with how needy they will be of you. Only get two caiques if you know you can provide both of them with enough attention, with the understanding that getting them young might mean that they don't get along once they go through puberty. A local pet store was long-term boarding a pair of caiques that had to be separated because the poor boy had plucked his chest bare because his cagemate was so overbearing.

It's a difficult decision, for sure, because there are so many variables. I would lean towards getting two, if you're capable.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In 1996, I got 2 unrelated caiques (M and F) from a breeder. They were born within a few days of each other. I visited them regularly until they were weaned. I bought a large California dome top cage, not sure of exact size but it seemed like it might have been about 5' high, 4' wide with legs that they lived in together from the very beginning and did great. There was very little conflict. I didn't find them difficult to take out at the same time because they were always together. I took them out of the cage on the same hand. I put them down together somewhere and they stayed together. My female was more adventurous and the male always followed her. I had a huge manzanita tree on a base that I bought from the breeder. They spent hours on it each day. I took them on walks on the local trail in a birdie backpack. They loved it! I didn't find the noise to be too crazy. I don't think they encouraged each other to be loud. I'm sure if they were separated there would have been some pretty loud contact calls. They were the only birds I had at that time. They were extremely bonded to me.

But after 5 wonderful years, my experience wasn't a good one with caiques. You can read about it in the good, bad and ugly thread.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Haha,,,@saroj12 ....my friend had two babies in her bird store, they were certainly a handful...
Short Intervals of ear splitting horrendous noise with much longer intervals of blissful silence or pleasant chatter while busy playing or eating. A new tree now banished drove my girl Chickie hysterical and took several hours to stop shrieking. Regardless, two any day.
Ages 13 yo. Unrelated pair from same breeder bought two months apart at three and four months old.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Leiura you will find on this forum most people recommend 2 of the same species. I think @painesgrey has it — re-read the big paragraph on her post.

Caiques in particular can be so demanding. You can get really stressed just trying to give them the basic day to day attention they want. You’ve had one before so multiply it times, not 2, maybe 3.

It is always my luck that the bird I love chooses hubby. Ernie (my avatar) is my consolation. He can’t stand hubby. :D

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had already read the good, bad, ugly thread for caiques but I went back and reread it.
I will probably start with one. If my husband can tolerate it I'll try to get a second shortly after. Right now my husband THINKS he can handle a parrot in the house. Thinking and experiencing is two different things. Lol. I'm hoping to drag him to the next exotic bird expo so he can get a good sampling.

Thanks again everyone.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Definitely 2.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I always suggest two if you can from an early age. I do think one can be happy but I personally got all of mine buddies from the start because I do not have hours per day to spend with them so I wanted them to have each other. It has worked out well.

I have six, kept in three pairs.

The main disadvantage is that I have to divide my attention between six rather than two. They do everything together as couples so it is more like socializing 3 birds rather than 6. I do think 2 birds are more work than 1 but probably not twice the work if they get a long and share a cage.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Honestly....

I truly love my 2 but they do not subtract any of the attention time by being 2. They each want attention all the time. they both want to be on me, one on my shoulder but the other wants to be only on my hand. So I am pretty limited while they are out. I set up play areas in the living room and on the lanai. Even sitting out on the lanai, they mostly want on me. I thought if I could bribe them with treats, food, and foot toys I could have a moment but no. LOL

They can be quite loud. Maybe they bounce off each other. In their cage by my desk if I am at my desk and don't move they are quiet. If I move around or hubby gets on the phone they scream.

If your husband is not sure about handling it, definitely start with one; I'm not sure they would do the loud screaming at a rescue or a pet store, so let him experience just one at home first. I believe that either of mine would be happy as an only bird.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If my husband can tolerate it I'll try to get a second shortly after. Right now my husband THINKS he can handle a parrot in the house. Thinking and experiencing is two different things.
And what if he can't handle it?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hahaha this!

But really, I'm sure it wont be an issue. I've already given him the details of what to expect. (Noise, mess, puberty, bites, etc.) But we'll see. :p
Hehe, yeah my husband was never that much into the birds, but he likes me, so it worked out.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I suggest you read @rockybird latest post where the caiques she has had for SEVENTEEN YEARS still screams daily for attention.

I have a gang of caiques
I keep them in pairs.

No screams
No bites
No tantrums

Blessed peace

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have only one caique. He can be loud, as @Irishj9 notes. He screams because he wants out of the cage. If I am home, and he is not out with me, he will scream incessantly, even if he has just been out for hours. He has learned to copy the nanday and so it sounds like I have a very loud nanday in the house (my real nanday is actually very quiet comparatively speaking). I cannot blame him. He is bored. If I could get a second caique I would but at 17 years of age I think it is too late.

I would get two caiques as youngsters over one caique anyday. I think both you and your caiques will be happier. Just be sure that they are compatible in one cage. Caiques can be very aggressive animals and I have heard of horrific injuries inflicted on other birds by them. At the least you will need a very large cage to hold both, or two separate cages with time out for interactive play time.

Kiko&Mango

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tyler
We just went through this debate and we got 2. Here's what we have noticed, and keep in mind that ours are still very young.

They are sisters and were raised together by the same breeder and absolutely adore each other. When they are sleeping, they sleep snuggled together and it is the cutest thing ever! If you decide to go with two, we preferred to have them be related so that they are well bonded and comfortable together in the same cage. Up to this point, they have not had any issues being together, and in fact, if they can't see each other when they're playing, they will talk to each other. Nothing too loud, but from what we can tell it's just to confirm that the other one is still around.

For noise, they typically scream when they're hungry, but it's really just the younger one of ours. The older one is actually fairly quiet, but quite capable of being loud if she feels necessary.

In terms of them bonding to someone else, we have observed that they are mostly bonded to each other. We have introduced them to a couple of other people and they seem curious about people in general. Our research indicated that caiques in particular seem accepting to new people who don't behave aggressively or threaten them.

Overall, they have been such a joy to have!! We highly recommend getting them, particularly a pair if you can afford it. We got a pretty big cage and filled it with ladders and perches and toys so they can explore. They seem to really enjoy each other's company and love when we come home and get them out for play time. We would be happy to answer any other questions about them since we just got ours about 3 weeks ago and are still going through the process! Hope this helps

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They are sisters and were raised together by the same breeder and absolutely adore each other. When they are sleeping, they sleep snuggled together and it is the cutest thing ever!
For me that would be enough to make my decision. ♥

They seem to really enjoy each other's company and love when we come home and get them out for play time.
In terms of them bonding to someone else, we have observed that they are mostly bonded to each other.
You have really understand what it is to have animals for their sake. So unselfish, and I love that! ♥