• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

“Eye rings” vs. No eye rings

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
Hey lovebird folks.
I’m well aware that each individual can be different, but is there anything apart from appearance that makes the Peachfaced lovebird different from the ones with eye rings, say, Fischers and Maskeds? Things such as temperament and dietary needs (kinda like a Hyacinth macaw requiring more fat in their diet than the other macaws).

I used to own a lovie in the past and might consider adding one again in the future but I got experience with only one peachie, who, as far as I remember, chewed everything in its path.

Thanks in advance.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Peach faced are slightly bigger.
Diet is the same.
I hear some people say that the Fischeri are not as friendly as Roseicollis... But I could say that about my birds, who are all Roseicollis. :)

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
How do you minimize their nippiness? I remember that mine nip 24/7 even if I offered it (never knew its gender) toys or something else to chew on. The nip would go harder and harder in strength too, if you tried to “ignore” it @Zara .

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
By ¨nip¨ do you mean nibbling or biting?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My Jaime is a nibbler. He doesn´t stop. But it doesn´t hurt so I just let him go ham. If I´m in the middle of something important (I work from home) then I sometimes put him in his house for a min while I finish.

Recently I have noticed Lapis picking up the nibbling trend, but hard. As soon as he starts, I morph into an unstable perch and he leaves. He will learn eventually.
Usually it´s the hands, fingers, between fingers, so I tilt my hand gently so they are palm up, obviously Lapis can´t hold on so he flies off.
A couple of times he climbed down from my head and chomped on my eyebrow, that hurts. I pick him up, and put him down on top of his cage - that seems to have worked, he hasn´t nibbled my eyebrow in quite a while.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Peachface tend to be more outgoing, playful etc. Eye ring species tend to be shy, reserved, more flighty. Of course there are always exceptions, every bird is an indvisudal, if you are good with birds you may not see any difference.