• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Sounds Do Your Birds Dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Mine are pretty tolerant about most sounds, especially Chiku. Home Theatre Systems, Vacuums and Hifi Systems no problem. However, Hototo absolutely despises the following sounds at any volume:

1. Kissing noises. He can't stand them. Sends him into full-on aggressive display mode.
  2. The kettle boiling. The sound when it roars into life makes him very uncomfortable...a bit like that kid who ran his fingernails down the blackboard at school. He literally climbs the walls of his cage when it's turned on, especially after dark. Fortunately for Hototo the Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle has now rendered itself cactus stuffus (dead) so I've replaced it with a new Breville SS Kettle with "quiet boil technology" today. "Quiet boil technology" I hear you say?...well like you I was extremely skeptical. In fact, if it didn't have the microwave-like beep once it had boiled the water you'd have forgotten you'd even turned it on. It makes only about 1% of the noise the Sunbeam one did so I'll let you know how he copes with it tonight.

:)

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
My tiels freak out when a phone rings, either a real one or on television.

My B&G macaw gets tense when she hears the garage door (which is underneath her). She also isn't fond of whistling.

I haven't noticed any noise(s) that bother my Senegal yet.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
The noise tape and sticky things (like lint rollers, vet wrap) make when unraveled. She will nearly always give her warning call, stand tall, and try to look intimidating. She doesn't seem really frightened, just weirdly angry. She'll usually beat on a toy after it's over to release her pent-up rage.
If she's near me there is the possibility of being attacked over tape. If she gets a hold of the tape she tries to gnaw on it so I just can't use tape-type things while she's nearby.

It's unfortunate, since I like to do a quick lint roll before every meal to try and reduce the amount of dog fur in my food (and fail miserably.) If I'm going to be using a lot of tape (Christmas presents, mailing packages) I leave a bribe in her cage, put on some medium volume music, close the door, and use the tape on the opposite end of the house. :rolleyes:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Emmie CAG growled and did a war cry when I tried to use the new Swiffer in the birdroom. The new one has a different pump sound than the old one and he really was upset with the sound. I had to take the new Swiffer upstairs and bring the old one down to use in the birdroom. Em really, really hates that new Swiffer.

My other birds don't seem upset by sounds.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard

There are some interesting replies here. Keep them coming. BTW, what the hell is a swiffer????? :huh:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The sound of me shutting the front door, meaning I'm leaving? hahaha

other than that, so long as Harvey isn't in his cage, he's pretty good with noises. e.g. the vaccum only annoys him if he's caged, if not; he happily plays.

Of course loud noises startle him, but that's about it :confused: I guess we're a household of many noises and he's used too it? Even with epic thunder recently he wasn't worried :rolleyes:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Darwin is afraid of the sound the oven makes when it has finished pre-heating. It is a high pitched beep.

They all freaked when someone knocked on the door or window at Hallowe'en. They don't really like the doorbell either. I have it packed with cardboard so it is not as loud but they still don't like it.

Tiki gets upset if I raise my voice.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I noticed all the birds hear don't like the sound of war movies on television..they all protest when guns are being fired etc.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth

There are some interesting replies here. Keep them coming. BTW, what the hell is a swiffer????? :huh:

from wikipedia:

Swiffer
is a line of cleaning products by Procter and Gamble and Michael Rand. Introduced in 1999,[SUP][1][/SUP] the brand uses the "razor-and-blades business model"; in this case, the consumer purchases the handle assembly at a low price, but must continue to purchase replacement refills and pads over the life of the product. Launched in 1999, the Swiffer has become a half-billion dollar brand in fifteen countries.[SUP][2]
[/SUP]

mine hate the door being knocked on. I have my front door blocked by skittles' cage, i never used it anyway. so the only people who knock on that door are people who dont know me. it really startles them so i dont think its the actual 'sound' as much as it is being startled by something uncommon.
As far as noises, they are pretty much okay with anything. i love movies, action type stuff and kid's animated type stuff, so they hear alot of weird noises from the tv that is going from the moment i wake up til i turn off the lights... and there's even a tv in my room i watch til i fall asleep at nite!
:hehe:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All my macaws hate the sound of the dishes being washed and put away, especially if the metal bowls clink together. Years ago, I used to have a Siamese cat who also hated this sound and would come into the kitchen and meow and grab hold of my pant leg to try to get me to stop :huh: I may be an overly loud dish washer--I do tend to break a few :p

Elvis hates the sound of whistling, but she's become much more tolerant now that there's a bratty African Grey living here. She figured out pretty quickly that Keene would do it just to annoy her, and it was better not to get riled up. :D

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Some sounds scare Merlin right at first because she's blind. But that usually changes to excitement because she is the sound imitation master in my home. Yesterday at the vet's she did my laugh for the first time. Usually she does this evil little manly chuckle But I laughed talking to the vet and she blared out my laugh back (super loud for her). She is scared of flapping wings though, meaning a bird is flying and she thinks she's going to be attacked by someone else.

Otherwise it is mostly the cat that gets really annoyed with the birds when they make loud, high pitched sounds. She hated my Blue Crown's joy screech.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Arguing, either us or the once the neighbors. All of them hate it, so we try very hard to disagree somewhere where they can't hear us.

Ginger

alnoble89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
Cookie doesn't like the sound of people walking close to her. She is blind in one eye and tries to find it and will fall. So when I walk near her i talk to her and she is all good. I also tell other people to talk to her when they get close. Alexis' mortal enemy is the vacuum. As far as she is concerned it is evil. She sees me getting it and gets upset and when I turn it on she hollers and growls.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
can you top this you folks are all very lucky i cant have TV RAIDO or COMPUTER on when i got Mango he was always squaking not real loud but enough Iwas afraid i was going to get complaints the only time he stopped was when on me had hin about 1 1/2 yrs
and was comming in frontroom to see why so nuch noise and saw him attacking the tv

i have never in my life left any animal alone with out a radio on ot tv ok

so when i saw him attacking the tv i changed chanels he was still upset so i turned it off not a sound did he make

i didnt realy think anything of it till later i wanted to see my program and turned tv on well he started up again and it was late at night

i got him to sit with me but he didnt shut up , i turned tv off dead silance

next day i was busy and ti was so quiet Mango never made a noise my program was due and i turnd tv on and sure as shooting he started again i turned it off dead silance so i went to comp left tv off for a week put it on and sure as clock work he started so off it went i did this for 3 months no tv i tryed radio same thing i put sound on comp same thing he started right up turnd it off dead silance .

so for the last 3 yrs i have no tv radio or sound from computer in fact it cost me to have cable turned off,,lol

but i have the most quietest bird going dont anyone raise voice get excited explaining things this upsets him to

i been told its airways or something like that but i dont beleave it thinking back when anyone came in we talked tv was on we were talking over it he loves to lison to people talk he dosent miss a word

yes i have tryed music birds cartoons kids programs i have tryed every thing he wants nothing on

so when i go out my apt is dead silance and hes as happy as can be

been told by many they would find a way as they couldnt be with out tv and radio but

im sharing my apt with mango it was my choice to bring him in to my life he didnt ask me to

so he has to have rights to and if this makes him happy ill do with out

im wondering if this all started back at the avary as they had radio going all time music but going

all time i dont have the anser as to why but sure found out what keeps him happy

hugsss doll Mango

Sauly

Real Name
Jonathan
Tequila freaks out to the sound of the dryer/washer chimes! I thinks its because he knows his mommy is downstairs and not showing him attention!

Sauly:p

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Hawks! They can hear them outside and always freak out.

Hissing, anything that remotely sounds like a snake, they hate that.

Water bottle popping- when you recently drank from it and the bottle pops back into place, that always makes them jump and fly away.

Paco hates dogs barking or monkeys on tv...lol such a weirdo.

Pancho hates men so any noise a man makes, he is scared. lol

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Oh yes, if I raise my voice because the cat is doing something aggravating (that she knows she's not supposed to be doing), they get upset.

A couple of times I have said bad words and I swear Merlin knew they were bad words and gave me this look like she was upset about it.

Sauly

Real Name
Jonathan
Tequila freaks out to the sound of the dryer/washer chimes! I thinks its because he knows his mommy is downstairs and not showing him attention!

Sauly:p
ohh yeah also he makes a really weird gutteral or rumble like sound in his throat when he sees a plane flying in the sky! I think it really scares him....its not curiousity thats for sure!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Olive is a peace and quiet kinda gal, so most noises elicit a reaction of some sort.

My neighbor's dogs barking across the street always put her on edge. :scared3:

A really windy day when the windows are rattling make her go all skinny-bird. :scared2:

When she hears other people here, especially my nephew, and she can't see them, she does her alarm call. :huh:

There are lots more but these are the major ones. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.