• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewer...

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Yeo is a YNA I met at Puff’s hardware place who chewed up his feathers.I held him by the wing to take these shots and he was not pleased.But maybe this can help?For more details,go check out my other thread.
The hardware store...more pics coming up daily.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you spoken to the bird owner about this? He´s probably bored of being chained to a stick all day with no toys and nothing mentally stimulating.
Ask if he can give the birds some toys to play with.
Maybe you could ask if he will give you, or sell you the bird?

If he refuses both and refuses to improve the birds living condition, maybe call animal protection?

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Just some quick clarification
1)The reason I brought this up was due to the owner noticing my feather pendant,which I made after Alex returned my sweet o’ collection,and asked me if I plucked them.This already shows his ignorance about birds and that he is totally oblivious to the feathers right on the floor beside him.Then he was like,go pluck Yeo’s chewed feathers...
I am not his staff and does not like his attitude.Moreover that was his fault,not Yeo’s.He had all the reason and time to give them all a better life.And if Yeo wants to chew(if not pluck and mutilate in future),plucking his feathers will only worsen the problem and make him be in pain.
2)The staff occasionally provide some cardboard to shred,with Grey promptly does.Yeo will do so,but sometimes.Among all the flock only Grey will 100% accept cardboard and is very inquisitive towards everything.
3)If you didn’t know I half broke just repairing my crap and some other stuff .If not I would have gone online or to the nearby bird stores and ransacked the toys like how I used to do.I used up the toys I had for my previous buds so now I gotta learn to make em’.Had I not managed to rent my condo I would not have been able to support myself,just to make a point,my family was part of the reason of my depression in the first place.(the condo technically is my sister’s by the way,we are the weird ones anyways...)
4)I would love to give toys but I have nowhere to hang them...And as I mentioned in the main thread of the hardware store,SPCA doesn’t give a hoot. These are the times when I realise how neglected birds have been and despite how safe Singapore is compared to other countries, animal welfare level is at 0.
23 50,time for my pills.Bye.

Last edited by a moderator:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Based on 3 former incidents (one related to Tailfeather and how the SCPA simply looked at the pet shop where Tailfeather was when I reported them having treated him badly before he came to me.They just looked and told me nothing...the others was about birds too on how a family left one YCA and B&G outside chained on a perch,similar to the hardware store incidents,alone to suffer.The SPCA too took a look but told me that unless "the bird's/pet's life is in danger,there is no need to report to us,we are busy."Please keep in mind that there are cats in the said neighbourhood and could easily get to them.
Not the best isn't it?The third revolved around an abandoned kitten when I was jogging around a park in the evening and passed a HDB flat.I never really took care of kittens before,cats sure,but not kittens.I fostered it for about a week or so,it was probably 1-2 months old at the time?Had fur could like tumble around the house but still needed handfeeding.
I didn't keep it as I still had my flock,though isolated from it.So I got the SPCA,they replied and came in an hour and took it away.The speed was baffling when 48+ hours was required to get me a reply from the other 2 incidents.Sure I could try but again,eh.
Moreover I don't wanna take the risk of having all birds confiscated because of some screwed up reason.And I don't think that they know how to care for birds considering that all the adoptions at the SPCA mainpage was pretty much all common pets except birds.They might as well give them the same life or worse when taken away,to a further place where I might not be able to visit Puff too.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
¨Cases of neglect include:

• small domestic animals housed in cages with wired flooring, fed inadequate diets and/or left in a corridor without human company for most of the day,
  • cats and dogs caged or tied up for long periods and/or in dirty conditions. Owners often say they have no time to clean the cages or are seldom home. The novelty of having a pet has obviously worn off. Veterinary care is not even considered by some.¨
If you articulate your complaint well, they should come out and investigate.
Collect as much ¨evidence¨ as possible; photos with timestamps of conditions, videos, maybe some sort of proof that the owner refuses to allow toys/refuses to allow you to donate toys, photos of their diet, photos of self mutilation. Find out if these birds have a vet, and get proof if they do not.
Remember to keep to facts, not accusations and speculations. No swearing. Don´t write this all in an angry way.

Here is the form; SPCA Singapore : Cruelty Complaint Form

If they come and investigate and leave the birds where they are, then at least you tried.
From there you could always start a petition, or help support a cause that are maybe trying to pass new bills to help birds in cases of neglect.

From the forum, there is not a lot we can do here. The owner is not allowing you to interfere (provide toys/enrichement) and if he is not willing to take the bird to the vet then we are at a dead end.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
¨Cases of neglect include:

• small domestic animals housed fed inadequate diets
  • cats and dogs caged or tied up for long periods and/or in dirty conditions.
ummm....small domestic animals.Birds there are 1)not small,2)ain't domestic as any bird owner would say.Also the seed diet is actually the No 1. (actually wrong as hecc) diet for birds(yup,even those insectivores ) and at least the most widely known for all.I don't think those not in this supposed crazy mad-man circle would ever understand what is wrong with feeding seeds to parrots (I been there..."You should feed seeds!Those are the natural diets of them(seeds,sure.But seeds only?10% or less is my ratio),you shouldn't take away their rights by giving them this artificially made things!...Isn't that their food?...That is enough/sufficient for their diet already what?!"By fellow "animal lovers".
And they aren't cats or dogs either.Anyways I filed a report.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
From the forum, there is not a lot we can do here. The owner is not allowing you to interfere (provide toys/enrichement) and if he is not willing to take the bird to the vet then we are at a dead end.
+1

Please stop with these photos. I hate seeing them and as per the above point there's no point us seeing them. I cleared out my ignored threads the other day, and dang it I'm getting more to add.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
+1

Please stop with these photos. I hate seeing them and as per the above point there's no point us seeing them. I cleared out my ignored threads the other day, and dang it I'm getting more to add.
OK

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I feel bad now.

@umbrella I need to apologise to you and anyone else affected by my outburst. It was out of place and some will consider over the top.
However I still feel the same way but rather than dissuade you from posting further info on this topic and thereby trying to restrict your own personal freedoms, can I suggest you keep posting whatever you feel merits discussion but place threads like this in the Controversial Topics forum?
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?forums/controversial-animal-topics.94/

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have an idea,
Maybe you could volunteer at the hardware store, and care for the birds?
At the moment you are just a non-customer who visits. But what if you came to an agreement with the store owner that you could officially volunteer and be more active in helping him care for his birds, maybe creating toys with off-cuts, sweeping up the floor and keeping the bird space tidy, maybe even interacting with the birds and building a relationship to where you can handle the birds and get them off those awful stands for a while by letting them perch on your arm.
You could also look into the birds diet better, see what they are eating now and the cost, and see if you can find a healthier diet for the same cost or less. I used to feed my birds a seed mix, and I found that by creating my own seed mix, my birds eat much healthier and it costs me half the price. You could always buy a bag of frozen veggies and take a cupful (defrosted) with you.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Great idea @Zara. I really do like it. Instead of posting about the poor conditions you can, if the store keeper is willing, make a positive contribution to these birds' lives and turn this thread around by keeping us updated on your progress.
Have a word with the storekeeper, it doesn't hurt to ask.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I do bring my own seed mix.A mix of 20% sunflower seed,20%dried corn,5%walnuts,30%dried fruits(banana,blueberry,cranberries,apples etc),25%other seeds or other goodies of a seed mix.Also,the SPCA haven't replied yet.For the volunteering,I'm afraid I cannot.School takes up a hefty time especially at this age.After school CCAs tend to be more annoying than usual to.Usually I can only stay there for 1 hour +-.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Also @Ripshod ,neh,I'm fine,I've been through worse anyways,that's nothing.Also I'm lazy to post another thread there,moreover to most Singaporeans this is the norm of bird keeping,chained or caged (or both at rare occasions).

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Also @Ripshod ,neh,I'm fine,I've been through worse anyways,that's nothing.Also I'm lazy to post another thread there,moreover to most Singaporeans this is the norm of bird keeping,chained or caged (or both at rare occasions).
I need to toughen up and move my own boundaries maybe? Lol
What about the volunteering idea? Could that be workable in out of school time/weekends?

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This whole situation is so trying. Bless you @umbrella for keeping at it!

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
They told me that they didn't need anyone to help.(though I highly suspect that being the case after going to the boss' office and getting disapproval...)I guess that they didn't really want someone else doing all that work and since I am a volunteer,if I ever get bitten,whose going to pay?Oh well...eh.