• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pamela Clark

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Has anyone here ever used Pamela Clark's training services? I spoke with her on the phone this morning, and am considering using her to help us create and maintain a wonderful relationship with Chipper. He's lovely, and we want to make sure we do everything we can to learn and prevent any major problems in the future. The cost is no joke at $90 an hour, but it does get you months of support. Thanks for your input!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know anyone who has used her training services but do know of people who have attended events that she spoke at. I have one of her books. And I know in general, she's very highly regarded. If you have the money to spend, I am sure she is very insightful, etc. but unless it's an unusual problem, I wonder if the same information couldn't be obtained from her books, videos, etc for less?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Has anyone here ever used Pamela Clark's training services? I spoke with her on the phone this morning, and am considering using her to help us create and maintain a wonderful relationship with Chipper.

You could not choose a better person with years of bird experience, especially with cockatoos. I think @JLcribber would also recommend her for this. Please let us know how it goes.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Sorry, I got myself confused. The book that I have is by Barbara Heidenreich, and not Pam Clark. This is the one I have: Good Bird! A Guide to Solving Behavioral Problems in Companion Parrots: Barbara Heidenreich: 9781895270273: Amazon.com: Books
No wonder I couldn't find it lol I've got that book as well as The Parrot Problem Solver, which focuses on aggressive behaviors. Specifically, I'd love support and training on station training, managing hormonal behaviors, and my biggest hurdle... Being able to carry him on my hand or arm instead of shoulder.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can't go wrong with either professionals. Both reference level experts.

my biggest hurdle... Being able to carry him on my hand or arm instead of shoulder.

I can tell you basically what they are going to tell you. I've mentioned a number of times about the T stick. This is not just very valuable tool for this type of bird. It becomes your intermediary between you and the bird. You hear people talk about target training all the time. Well this achieves the same purpose. That stick becomes the target. It becomes a very powerful no verbal cue to the behaviour expected. Being moved/transported/held whatever. Even if should something happen (someone drops a frying pan in the kitchen) and he clamps out of panic. He clamps a stick. Not your meat. A non event.

Nothing is quick or easy. It takes a number of weeks to condition/desensitize your bird to anything new but that will always be the case so learning to introduce new (needed) things slowly and never seen as a threat until it is accepted as normal.

I never let Tika on my arm (or anywhere else) for I would say 4 years. Because to do so would be my stupid. He trusted me just fine (and vise . versa) this was about opportunity (lack of opportunity).

Don't "expect" to ever fully trust him. At least for a couple of years. That's how long it takes them to understand us.

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Alright, I just got a call back from the local nature center, they rehab and release (when they can), and I've seen them handle hawks and eagles before. They told me how they teach their birds to sit and stay on their hand. They target train, but they use a glove instead of a stick. Then they put treats on the glove to teach them to perch on it.
So I just asked Chipper to step up, and he promptly scurried to my shoulder. So I put corn on the top of my hand, and he walked down and ate. As long as I kept the corn coming, he stayed there. So maybe you're right, @sunnysmom, maybe I can at least try for a few months using other resources before I spend the money, though I don't doubt it will be money well spent.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@JLcribber my husband has been transporting him with a pvc stand since he's been nibbled. I also use it when he starts getting worked up in the evening. You're right that it's a necessity, I just also want to have the option to choose to hold him, but away from my face.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber I just also want to have the option to choose to hold him, but away from my face.

This your desire. Not his. Even so. It's about patience.

You've got to have a lot of patience in order to have a lot of patience. :lol:

You can hold that stick at waist level and have him sink his head into your chest. Sitting in that stick. Still no threat. I handle Tika with a T stick to this day (15 years). HE expects/insists this is how he's handled.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The first time I held a macaw, he tried to climb on my shoulder and the instructor told me to drop my arm and keep it at waist level. A t stick of course is safer but that's something to consider too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks Monica! I'm still waiting for her to email me the intake form. In the meantime, I found a YouTube video where a macaw always rushes to the shoulder. So they offer a hand to step up and place their thumb gently on the bird's feet. Once their thumb touches their feet, the bird gets a treat, and placed back onto the Tstand. I've been offering my forearm for Chipper to step up, and now I'm wondering if that it making it that much easier for him to climb to my shoulder. So today, we'll try my hand instead. I've removed all treats from my shoulder, if he wants a treat, he has to go to my hand to get them. He seems very unsure of himself when he's climbing down my arm. He's fallen off of things twice since he's been with us, so I wonder if maybe part of it is also a lack of confidence.
Since my husband has been using the stand to move Chipper, he hasn't been bitten again. He's also been target training him when he gets home, and it's kept Chipper's excitement level to a more manageable level. Plus, I removed his pellets from the playstand, only providing his veggies. So he starts asking to go back to his cage by 7:30 when we eat dinner, and so we haven't had any over excited lunging or screaming for days now. He's such a good boy, I'm very proud of the baby steps we're all making together, and I'm excited to work with Pamela!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Officially signed up with Pamela, and I can't wait! Today was HARD. Here's hoping tomorrow is a little easier, and Pamela's training for hubby and I will help us prevent and react to the bad days better. He's worth it!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We just had our video conference, and my mind is BLOWN. She has so much insight, I can't tell you how many times I realized I was doing something wrong, or didn't understand Chipper. This week will be so interesting implementing the new rules and goals. I'm so excited, I could burst. Bring on the hard work!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This all sounds so wonderful to me. Not enough people who have birds they do not understand or want to train correctly take advantage of avian professionals. Please keep this thread going with how the training evolves.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
and my biggest hurdle... Being able to carry him on my hand or arm instead of shoulder.
Chelsea, I don't know if I can explain this in words but I will try. After you pick Chipper up with your hand or wrist, put your elbow down (for some reason it's hard to keep it down, it seems to go against whats normal to do, but I do this when I want to keep my macaw on my hand/wrist area) but you have to keep your elbow down. He won't go downhill. Which he would have to do to get to your shoulder. He would have to go down to your elbow then back up to your shoulder. \/ If you keep your elbow down he will go right UP to your hand. They want to go up. As long as you keep your elbow down, you will keep Chipper up on your hand.

Ok, this illustration is as good as it gets, lol.