• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brand new conure owner

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
First and foremost, I've always been a cockatiel fan (with 8 so far) but after last weekend, that changed! My wife and I are baby sitting our daughters conure while she is out of state for a week. Needless to say we fell in love with him and this type of bird that's a tad different from a tiel. We went to Fort Worth (Tx.) today to one of the better bird shops and spotted a baby conure we just couldn't live without! We get to bring him (or her) home NEXT weekend as the lady wanted to be sure it was fully weened off formula. It was eating pellet type food like it was going out of style but it never hurts to be sure.

While I am reading up on these birds as fast as I can, I can always use all the help and advice I can get from veteran conure owners.

Attachments

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Looks like a sun or jenday. Is that the same type of conure your daughter has?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! :starshower1:

I always imagined your home to be filled with Tiel whistles, now you will get some screaming added :lol:

I can´t wait ´til you bring him/her home and introduce him/her properly! :D

Any thoughts on names? Will you be DNA sexing the little one?

And Mango is sooo cute! He looks like a real sweetheart :cloud9:

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
We had 3 tiels, a neighbor gave us. None were tame, all made a car alarm sound. After a year we had to rehome them because of the dander and my asthma.
Now we have 3 conures. No dander. All are very tame and lovable. Ours are all green ckeek or cinnamon green cheeks, so not loud at all. Love them so much!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
S/he's gorgeous! Congrats!

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Thank you ALL very much for your posts. We have a week to come up with a name and get ready for him or her. I'm sure we'll do a DNA test as I'm not sure you can sex a conure. Thankfully our eight tiels have already had a week to get use to a conure in the flock thanks to Mango's visit. I'm sure as the new baby gets older I'll be in for a real treat (noise wise) as Mango is NOT very old either and hasn't really been that loud....:faint:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Don't fret too much over the name. I usually wait for the bird's personality to shine through before picking a name for him or her. You are correct, they are not sexually dimorphic, so DNA is the only way to go. I ordered a kit through iQBirdTesting – Avian DNA Bird Analysis – $11.99 DNA Sexing for birds for about $12. I took the printed paper with me to the vet and had them get me a blood drop for the kit after they collected the blood sample they needed for the exam.

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Regarding this sweet bird we'll be getting this coming weekend, do conures enjoy head scratches like cockatiels do? I know when we checked him out at the bird shop, he sure didn't seem to mind being touched so I'd say he was well hand tamed.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It totally depends on the individual. Some individuals will seek you out for attention, others only like it on their terms, some don't care for it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I know when we checked him out at the bird shop, he sure didn't seem to mind being touched so I'd say he was well hand tamed.
Worth keeping in mind that sometimes a bird will act differently in the pet shop and could change as they settle in to their new home.

I look forward to meeting the new little one :)