• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any kitten experts?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
He’s 305g today.
View attachment 317914 View attachment 317915
And this is his future set up, he sleeps there during the day but at night he goes back into the incubator. My house is pretty warm and he likes to wander around in the area. When he’s eliminating on his own the blanket will be replaced with puppy pads.
View attachment 317916
That's so cute! Wonderful job! My kittens liked to play with cut rings of toilet paper cardboard rolls, so I recommend those for toys:)

Please try to teach him boundaries like his mom and siblings would.
I was gonna ask @BeanieofJustice you if you have any cats, it might would be good to introduce them and hopefully they could teach him a thing or two about being a cat.:)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Please try to teach him boundaries like his mom and siblings would. I've had to deal with MANY hand reared cats over the years who were fractious because they never learned what behaviors weren't acceptable. You can treat him like you would a puppy, with bite inhibitions and whatnot. Cats are far more trainable than most people believe.
He's an adorable little guy, and he's very lucky you found him.

Thank you! I was wondering how to teach him that, though I’ve only seen it on the tv, I’ve seen what can happen with single kittens. I helped raise my dad’s cat, who was probably around 6 weeks when we found her. I did do the bite inhibition on her but I wasn’t if that worked because of who she is.
Thank you!

That's so cute! Wonderful job! My kittens liked to play with cut rings of toilet paper cardboard rolls, so I recommend those for toys:)

I was gonna ask @BeanieofJustice you if you have any cats, it might would be good to introduce them and hopefully they could teach him a thing or two about being a cat.:)

Thank you! I have some cut toilet paper cardboard toys and other smaller toys I’m waiting until he gets bigger to use.
I do not have any other cats, I took him over to my parents to meet 2/3 cats, and both girls hissed. Mom’s cat, Merlin might be okay but he’ll probably run away. I’ll keep trying. If I can get Tina to associate him with food, he’ll be golden.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
It’s stunning how fast he’s growing! He was 153g post-feed/143g pre-feeding, and now he’s 289g post feeding!
He’s starting to sleep in that bed over his makeshift incubator tub for naps between feeding. Overnight or unsupervised he’s still in the incubator but he’s starting to explore.

Watch him when you walk, Steph, for in a couple of weeks he will be everywhere.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Watch him when you walk, Steph, for in a couple of weeks he will be everywhere.
Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind! That’s in part why I set up the playpen, he can scoot when he’s awake. In a few weeks I’m sure he’ll be jetting around. I’m excited to see it.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind! That’s in part why I set up the playpen, he can scoot when he’s awake. In a few weeks I’m sure he’ll be jetting around. I’m excited to see it.

Its both exciting and scary, like a baby who learns to walk and then takes off. I would advise keeping him confined to one room until he is big enough to be out of danger.

By the way- I love your setup for him. :)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Its both exciting and scary, like a baby who learns to walk and then takes off. I would advise keeping him confined to one room until he is big enough to be out of danger.

By the way- I love your setup for him. :)

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, I can’t imagine having turbo-charged kitty all over the house.

Thank you! I just added some small toys to the enclosure for when he starts deciding to play.
I bought a small cat tree, there’s a bigger one I want to get when he’s older. I was probably jumping ahead buying the first one but oh well.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, I can’t imagine having turbo-charged kitty all over the house.

Thank you! I just added some small toys to the enclosure for when he starts deciding to play.
I bought a small cat tree, there’s a bigger one I want to get when he’s older. I was probably jumping ahead buying the first one but oh well.

That is going to be one spoiled feline! :)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I think you are going to have a big boy on your hands. I bet he weighs in the teens when he finishes growing.
I mean, if he’s part Maine coon they’re my favorite cat breed and they’re pretty big. I’m sure there are other breeds he could be. I won’t be surprised if he’s a big boy.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
He is actually THE most wonderful "breed" of feline: Domestic Short hair Household Pet!!!! :cheer:

When he begins to move on his own power, he will be everywhere! Remember kittens, unlike puppies, have four paw drive due to their claws and can jump like rabbits from place to place. Kittens are much more difficult to contain to one area because of their claws and jumps. :laugh-bounce:

:coffeescreen::bash::rofl:. :omg:. :cool4:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Any recent photos? You spoiled us with all the cute pictures of him.
I’ll add some more today!

He is actually THE most wonderful "breed" of feline: Domestic Short hair Household Pet!!!! :cheer:

When he begins to move on his own power, he will be everywhere! Remember kittens, unlike puppies, have four paw drive due to their claws and can jump like rabbits from place to place. Kittens are much more difficult to contain to one area because of their claws and jumps. :laugh-bounce:

:coffeescreen::bash::rofl:. :omg:. :cool4:

I mean, he is what he is, whatever he turns out to be. My cats in the past were barn cats; no discernible breed.
And thank you! That play pen has a zipable top so I hope that helps contain him! I didn’t realize they were like rabbits in that way, very interesting!

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
I mean, if he’s part Maine coon they’re my favorite cat breed and they’re pretty big. I’m sure there are other breeds he could be. I won’t be surprised if he’s a big boy.

I know he's going to be a big boy. What is he now- at the end of his second week?- and he's already 320 g.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I know he's going to be a big boy. What is he now- at the end of his second week?- and he's already 320 g.
I’m guesstimating that he was born around October 4th because of when he opened his eyes, so at the oldest he’s 2-3 weeks old. He’s growing really quickly. And you’d know better than I would!

:heart::heart: My goodness!!! So cute!!

OMG :faint: The cuteness is killing me. Too much.
Tell me about it!!