• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for mentors

Wren'sMacaws

Moving in
Real Name
Nikkie
Hi guys! I’m looking for a mentor in Macaws and IRNs.
I currently own a baby B&G Macaw that i have been handfeeding and I will hopefully be getting an IRN or 2 next season (violets and turquoise are sooo pretty).
Eventually in the future I would love to breed them along with hyacinth (my dream bird!!). So looking for a mentor or two to learn from!

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please don't become another breeder to add to the 100s of thousands of parrots who are in rescues, sanctuaries or dying slowly of bad care by irresponsible owners.

Do you know how complicated, risky and expensive it is to become a breeder? Do you have any idea just how many baby birds and breeder birds die because a person decided to breed and didn't know enough and wasn't prepared?

Be Absolutely sure you have the knowledge, the skills, the equipment and the money to do this. It's the birds who will suffer if you don't.

Wren'sMacaws

Moving in
Real Name
Nikkie
I get where you’re coming from, I really do as the same can be said about the dog world... but I have done research on it. I’m looking for a mentor to fully understand the pros and cons and to be absolutely certain that I would want to breed... not to mention that I want to set a standard with contracts with buyers (where the baby has to come back to me or my daughter in the event that the bird can no longer stay with them among a slew of other things) and eduction, education, education! I would prefer to keep my birds close to home so to speak so I can keep tabs on where and how they are.
I actively show 2 dogs in confirmation and have helped welp litters with a close friend and mentor- so I know how much work can go into breeding in general as well as the losses that can occur (financially and emotionally). Parrots are a little different but ultimately similar. Lineages, health testing, vet checks, diets, special diets, hand feeding, emergencies funding, and genetics... time, money, blood, sweat and tears...
I have put considerable thought into this and it is a possible future endeavor, and I strongly emphasize “possible”.