• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on making new adopted lovebirds feel safe?

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
If you don't know if they are siblings I personally would not allow them to breed.
I know that some breeders use line breeding to acquire certain mutations but your birds are Normal dominant birds. And at the risk of them being siblings, I don't think it is worth breeding. Just my opinion.

Also, allow them to breed and you will likely get nowhere with your relationship. Everytime eggs hatch the hen will likely block you out attack you and not want anything to do with you.
One of my hens just reverts back to closed off every time she drops eggs. It's so hard to advance with her when we keep taking steps back. When chicks were around she was the worst she ever was. When there's no eggs or chicks we actually make progress and I have a little trick to get her up on my hand that works for us. (surprise surprise, it involves millet :lol:)
Just my thoughts, opinions and experiences - you can do with this comment as you wish :) I just hope it's helpful or helps provoke some thoughts
Yeah, that's a good idea. It's ok to have them in the same cage right? They do get along, just some "arguing" I guess, they don't actually peck each other luckily, or at least what I have seen so far.

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Also, one little question

it's better not have that grate thing at the bottom of the cage? I currently don't have it there, plus it would be an extra thing to clean.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Also, one little question

it's better not have that grate thing at the bottom of the cage? I currently don't have it there, plus it would be an extra thing to clean.
I initially didn't have it in my lovebird's cage, but once she became nesty she'd go down there and pick up pieces of shredded toys to build her nest. Since there's also droppings down there, I decided to put the grate in. Also, @Zara has told me she's heard no grate can encourage nesting in females, probably like how I just explained. Lovebird poop cleans up pretty easily, so it shouldn't be a huge nuisance.

Duel

Walking the driveway
I'd say do something similar but different from what I did with my bird. I used to take the food out of his cage at night when hes asleep and have him have breakfast from my hand in the morning since I had to wake up early anyways at the time. I rested my hand at the bottom with food and waited for him to come up to me to eat. Try with treats and wait for them to approach you for them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yeah, that's a good idea. It's ok to have them in the same cage right?
Yes :)
I have a bonded pair of siblings. They are very happy together. They will be 14 months old now and have been mating since 5months old. They have not produced any eggs yet, and when they do, they will be switched with fakes.

it's better not have that grate thing at the bottom of the cage?
, @Zara has told me she's heard no grate can encourage nesting in females, probably like how I just explained.
Exactly. I know when my hen Aldora gets nesty, she sits down on the grate most of the day. If there was no grate, she would be making a nest down there in the corner with the lining paper, just like Adelie does as she has no grate and is now nesting a lot on the floor.

I used to take the food out of his cage at night when hes asleep and have him have breakfast from my hand in the morning since I had to wake up early anyways at the time. I rested my hand at the bottom with food and waited for him to come up to me to eat. Try with treats and wait for them to approach you for them.
Be very careful with this. These birds are 2 years old (fully adult) and bonded to each other, if they are unsure about eating from hands, they may rather go without food than to come over.
Also, to remove food at night means you must be awake before your birds, no exception. They are hungry in the morning. The alternative is wake before your birds and remove the food bowl when you uncover them. Then offer the food for 15 minutes. If no one takes, then replace the bowl or offer your veggies breakfast :)

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
In my opinion you shouldn’t put your hands in the cage when they are not familiar to you. Their cage should be their safe space. You can put your hand outside the cage in front of the door. Really respect their space.

And leaving food out of the cage makes me nervous. I’d like to always leave food in their cage. Always enough, so when anything happens unpredictable they will have enough. If you understand what I mean.

This is just my opinion.

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
I left the food in. What you mentioned is true also, and they seemed to be not fed actual food when I adopted them. So they must be really hungry. I have my hand near the door, not in the middle of the cage, with millet. They peck at it, though not getting on my hand just yet. I'm only planning to do that once a day, or skip a day. Depending on how they react to it.

Not sure if I mentioned this already, but I took the coconut out. They seem to be getting used to me a lot quicker without that thing in the cage. Right now they would still be eating their food when I'm in the room. When I adopted them they would stay silent and not eat. So far it looks like they're used to a clean house with fresh food and everything, including my presence.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think leaving the food in is wise. We don´t know how these birds were fed before, they may have had days where they went hungry.

They will never be too full for millet, so that´s not a worry :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I love that you are reading their body language and proceeding accordingly! They definitely have boundaries and respecting them, even if it becomes tedious, is absolutely the best way to build a good relationship. My lovebird wasn't neglected, but she was completely "untamed" and terrified of me. Getting her over her fear of hands took awhile but I noticed that once she started eating from my open hand, that was a huge milestone. It must be that an openhhand puts them in danger of being grabbed, so they really have to trust you before they accept that. :)

Duel

Walking the driveway
Getting her over her fear of hands took awhile but I noticed that once she started eating from my open hand, that was a huge milestone.
Same here, he would never step onto my hand unless I covered it with my sleeve but feeding him breakfast from my hand for a few months finally did it. Now I can pick him up by wrapping my hand around him (gently) and he has no problem and doesnt struggle at all if I do that plus he stands in the palm of my hand and nibbles on it if he wants to get some scratches now.

Duel

Walking the driveway
@Zara yeah I always woke up at 6am those days which is why it worked for me but I don't know if this person wakes up as early which is why I said he should just use treats instead and not take out their food.

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Hey guys quick question. My lovebirds seem to be making beep sounds whenever I turn off all lights and it's completely dark (only when I'm about to go to bed). They start to climb all over the cage making those beep sounds. Last night, I had a night light on and sat by their cage for a few minutes. Then turned the light off. That somehow helped them calm down.

I tried covering the cage but they started to aggressively fight and get a lot more nervous. I have never seen them fight like that so far. They seem to be only fighting like that whenever I cover the cage. So I'm deciding not to cover.

Could this just be they're not used to without the coconut house? Having that in there I've also noticed some more fighting (since they both want to be in there), so I don't really want to put it back in the cage.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Hey guys quick question. My lovebirds seem to be making beep sounds whenever I turn off all lights and it's completely dark (only when I'm about to go to bed). They start to climb all over the cage making those beep sounds. Last night, I had a night light on and sat by their cage for a few minutes. Then turned the light off. That somehow helped them calm down.

I tried covering the cage but they started to aggressively fight and get a lot more nervous. I have never seen them fight like that so far. They seem to be only fighting like that whenever I cover the cage. So I'm deciding not to cover.

Could this just be they're not used to without the coconut house? Having that in there I've also noticed some more fighting (since they both want to be in there), so I don't really want to put it back in the cage.
The beeping sound sounds like one of your birds may be feeling hormonal and if they're really fighting then I'm guessing the male is feeling hormonal and is trying to force the female to mate with him. Birds tend to mate when they think they're completely alone and won't be scene which covering their cage or making it dark might make them think they're alone to mate. Just in case I'd say don't cover the cage and keep a nightlight on near them.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hard to tell what the beeps are without hearing them.

If you can keep them in a quiet room where they won´t be disturbed then leaving them uncovered is not a problem.

You´re doing great :)
Don´t give them the coconut back if it made them fight.

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
@Zara this isn't my video, but it sounded like the beeps this lovebird was making at the start of the video, up to 0:14 seconds of the video

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
When I cover my birds at night, they sometimes make little sounds like that while settling down, it usually ends up with them beak grinding, then silence.

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
A little sad news...

The birds had to separate. The screaming escalated and Mango started to pluck Melon's feathers. It was sad and horrifying to watch, luckily Melon is ok. I cleaned up the previous filthy cage and just put both cages together with the doors open, so one of the birds can walk in on their own. Since they're still afraid of my hand and I don't want to further back the trust I am starting to build. Mango decided to walk in and go after the millet that I left in the other cage.

So currently they're in separate cages but close together. Melon looks a lot more relaxed, and she can finally eat without having to worry about Mango pecking her. Both of them seem to be in peace. I hope the vet visit turns out well tomorrow.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Keep us posted on how the vet goes, good luck! :hug8:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awww sorry you had to do that. Don´t think that this is it for them though. After they are truely settled in, you may find they are wanting to be together again.
I had to separate Jaime and Aldora because it got to the point where I thought Jaime was in danger. Not that you would ever know that now (I am uploading a video for you that I filmed last night, I´ll post it here:)

Be sure to allow your birds the same out of cage time (closely monitored) so they can go and see each other :)

Do you have a picture of their cage?

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
The cage looks empty as the toys I have ordered is arriving late (supposed to arrive yesterday but arriving tomorrow) First image is Melon, last image is Mango.
20191022_145207.jpg 20191022_145203.jpg