• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is going on with this doves head?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At this point I have lost track of the doves that frequent my balcony for food and water.
I just noticed this guy, is he OK? Is he moulting?
There was a pair here last night and this morning which I believe to be the same birds. If so, his head wasn't like this then.
IMG_20191020_131636_1.jpg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That looks like an injury. Poor little dove. Maybe he or she needed to escape from something and a few feathers were ripped out in the process. :( I have no idea.

It shouldn't be from normal dove courtship or nesting from my understanding of how doves go about their business.

Edit:: well I was doing a bit of reading. Some doves moult heavily on their heads. Also some parasites like ringworm can cause patches of baldness.

Trigger warning some pictures in this link can be upsetting.
Head

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Interesting. But it doesn´t look like a wound, more just feather loss or the feathers laying oddly or moulting.
The other day the pigeon rescue I now follow on facebook found a bird like that first picture on the link, poor little guy passed away :(

I´ll keep an eye out and see if he comes back. I can´t catch him so all we can do is hope it´s something trivial.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This pair of doves were just here when I came back from washing pots in the kitchen. Must not be the same pair as I see no odd head feathers....
IMG_20191020_145401.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like another dove or other bird ripped his feathers out. They can be territorial and a bit mean sometimes.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Looks like he just lost some feathers on his head and has pinnies coming in now. Coulda been another bird or maybe he fell somehow and hurt his head - weird spot for that but it could be. My Malcolm has a spot just like that one his head right now mainly from a molt but partly, I think, cuz he got himself in a weird position and lost some feathers. Wouldn't worry about it either way; I don't see blood so the feathers should come back no problem :) I love how your balcony has turned into dove paradise - the word has evidently spread :heart:

P.S. All "your" doves, including this one, are so big and look so healthy! Look at those sleek feathers and the muscling + fat on their chests. I love seeing doves in such good condition!

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love how your balcony has turned into dove paradise - the word has evidently spread :heart:
Someone (or somedove, should I say) was on my balcony at 8:30am this morning, calling as loud as they could... I´m sure saying ¨there´s food here friends¨ :lol:

It went something like this, (for over half an hour)

Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu.
1 minute silence.
And repeat

Maybe ¨Hu huuuuu hu¨ means; There´s foooood here :blink:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Someone (or somedove, should I say) was on my balcony at 8:30am this morning, calling as loud as they could... I´m sure saying ¨there´s food here friends¨ :lol:

It went something like this, (for over half an hour)

Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu, Hu huuuuu hu.
1 minute silence.
And repeat

Maybe ¨Hu huuuuu hu¨ means; There´s foooood here :blink:

Or maybe it means nice human here.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I absolutely adore doves cooing. Reminds me of Hawaii, where my parents were born and raised. We occasionally get a few doves in my neighborhood and I always get excited when I hear them cooing. I'd probably get some as pets if they weren't so dusty, my allergies can't tolerate dusty birds.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There is definitely two pairs of doves and a lone dove who visit. This guy came back today, but as you can see, the other pair came and shooed away this pair: