• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got blue throated Macaw

1bearz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Greg Purves
Hello, my wife and I were blessed to obtain a Macaw, about 6 years old. He was previously owned by a young man whose family moved out of state and he's been boarded for about 7 months with our vet. He did not get any out time while there and we're trying to coax him out. We put a play stand by the door of his cage and tempted him out with an almond. He spent about half an hour outside walking around and getting used to being outside his cage. Any tips or tricks to help him become more comfortable coming out will be greatly appreciated.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I got JaJaBinks she had been caged for at least 7 months in a very small cage, no toys, kept in the dark 24/7 & abused/hit. I also placed a play stand next to her cage & let her come & go. It took her about 6 weeks to realize she wouldn't be abused or be in the dark anymore. During that time I taught her to step up/down & tried to play games with her like peek a boo, dancing, etc.. Take it slow & let him adjust. Talk to him a lot, act silly.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know for any bird schedule & routine helps! I think once this big guy gets used to all the change around him of late, things may get a little better & may be more willing to use that stand. Good thinking!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, congratulations, love my BTM! What is your new boy's name? As with any new macaw added to a NEW environment expect time, patience and slow moving interaction by both you and your wife. Some new owners expect the transition to be at the human's desire rather than the new bird's desire which can be a concern for both. Small steps presenting treats and playful actions has been successful here. The amount of time differs depending on the bird. Do you have other birds around him?