• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken blood feathers

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I've been hearing a lot lately about the possibility of a broken blood feather and it has me worried that I won't be prepared if this situation happened with Burt.
I just have a few questions to make sure I'm ready for this situation. First, I was just wondering how likely this is to happen? Should I be worried about this happening when I'm not home? I've also read a lot about how to pull out the broken feather, but I'm worried without practicing first, I might not be very good at this. Would it be possible for me to clot the broken part for long enough to take Burt to the vet?
I'm probably just worrying myself, but I just want to make sure if something like this did happen, I could help my Burt

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I attended a parrot first aid class and the vet said the majority of the time the broken blood feather does not need to be pulled. She said it's actually very painful for the bird too for it to be pulled. Usually corn starch or something like that will work to stop the bleeding. I (knock on wood) have never had to deal with a badly broken blood feather- and that's been with my birds and my fosters. I actually just noticed a little drop of blood on Elvis a couple days ago but it had already stopped before I even saw it and it was a very small amount. I think that it's always good to be prepared for a broken blood feather (I have a bird first aid kit) but I don't think it really happens that often and only if the bleeding won't stop is pulling necessary.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@rocky'smom I thought you might have a little advice from the shelter...

I've (Thank goodness) haven't either. That's what the hemostat & super clot will be for in your 1st aid kit. I'd probably try the super clot & only pull of it didn't stop the bleeding.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A couple of times my little Jaime broke feathers while plucking. One of those times I saw the blood wet and I put cornstarch on. I monitered him and looked at the feather every 15 minutes for the first two hours. The bleeding had stopped the first time I put the cornstarch on and luckily did not start bleeding again. The feather wasn´t pulled.
What Michelle said is what I´ve been told. Apply cornstarch to bleeding feathers, if they rebleed then get the bird to the vet for the feather to be pulled.
(my vet is closeby so I would never have to pull it myself, but if you live far from a vet it may be better to pull it yourself)

It´s good that you are collecting knowledge and preparing :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
In my birdie first aid kit I keep old film canister with either white unbleached flour 1tablespoon or 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. But here's the thing you have to be able JMHO to get it on and then apply pressure to the wound. And hold for 30 seconds. Just dusting cornstarch on boo boo doesn't work.
Also fumbling around in a first aid kit looking for the clotting powder wastes time. Keep one in the kit but another in your bathroom or small room where you have control over the situation. Time is of the essence in emergencies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If your bird is fully feathered including wings and flighted they will rarely if ever break a blood feather because all the feathers around it act as protection.

If your bird is clipped and does not fly the chances of a broken feather go way up.