• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible idea for disabled small birds

HerbieTheBip

Meeting neighbors
So, some birds don't need a tall flight cage. Whether because they are blind, have mobility issues, or have seizures

Here's my idea. At petco/smart they have guinea pig and rabbit cages. A lot like this. You & Me Living The Dream Small Animal Habitat, 40" L X 17.5" W X 21" H | Petco

Still big enough for a small bird with limited mobility or sight, but low enough that they can't hurt themselves if they fall. The other thing about these is that they are designed to have thick bedding. That makes it so you could use low dust paper bedding in the bottom, and use newspaper/paper towels/etc. And make a mattress like pad for possible falls while still being relatively easy to walk on with tiny feets.

I donno, seems like a good idea for birds like Lovebirds, parakeets, and parrotlets.

Input wanted! We should make this idea as good as possible for those who might need it!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Last edited:

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I have a large rabbit hutch with <1" bar spacing for my one legged lovie. :) A rodent can work, as long as you keep the spacing in mind.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
This cage is not suitable for a small birds because the bar spacing is 1inch. And for a larger bird they won´t have enough room to spread wings, and could possibly chomp through the bars.

I use a finch flight cage for my Lovebird (30x18x18), it´s perfect and would recommend it for a budgie or lovie with feet or flight issues :)

Pictures - Adélies house set up | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
That is what I use for my elderly peep, Bitty, now that he is very old (at least 24 or older I think) and needs to conserve energy and movement.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A lot of small animal cages have bars that are painted rather than powder-coated. This could be a problem if the bird's beak is strong enough to chip or peel the paint off, both because of the paint and the metal underneath.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You have the right idea in mind!!!! Just, needing some guidance! ;)

The Critter Nation Small Animal cage (not ferret! unless we're speaking large parrot... but iffy on that) with 1/2" bar spacing is *GREAT* for disabled birds! Comes in single or double, the front opens into two massive doors! Which means easy cleaning!

Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit with Stand Small Animal Cage, 36" L X 24" W X 63" H | Petco

There are some great small animal cages that can be used, but you do need to be careful of coatings and bar spacing.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208

She made wonderful accommodations for her disabled bird Java. I'm not sure how often she's on these days tho.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208

She made wonderful accommodations for her disabled bird Java. I'm not sure how often she's on these days tho.

Thanks for the recommendation!

To the OP, I don't log on much here, but there is a ton of stuff on my page about making accomodations for special needs birds as my bird only has one leg and is unable to walk, fly, or grip. There are too many links to post but I hope you find something useful. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, and chime in if I can, but once more, I don't log on much.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the recommendation!

To the OP, I don't log on much here, but there is a ton of stuff on my page about making accomodations for special needs birds as my bird only has one leg and is unable to walk, fly, or grip. There are too many links to post but I hope you find something useful. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, and chime in if I can, but once more, I don't log on much.
Thank you darlin!:gbh: