• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Aid Kit

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I know this has been done before, but the latest emergency kit list was posted in 2009 and I'm wondering if there's a more updated list I should know about. With bird accidents being so common, I think it's important to always be prepared. I don't have a kit now, but I want to put one together so if anyone has a first aid kit list they'd like to share with me I would appreciate it :)
Keeping a happy and healthy bird is my number one priority :joyful:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I started a thread about a year ago but I never updated to show my final kit.

Tongue depressors for making a splint
Vet tape for holding a wing or bandage to body
Flashlight
Betadine
Bandage - non-stick gauze squares in different sizes
Bandage - gauze rolls I believe I bought 2 widths
A pair of scissors
Eye Saline - to use as sterile rinse
Paper tape - don't use on feathers
Zip ties
Tweezers (flat tip) not pointed or slanted as they can puncture a fid if they move quick
Oral syringes to have on hand for food or fluid w/ sick bird
Q-tips

Many people recommended a hand warmer but I haven't found any that didn't smell plastic'y when activated a heating pag or water bottle can work if you have power, the handwarmer is for no power & should be wrapped in towels (if I'm remembering correctly

I put a pillowcase in there to use as a wrap or in a fast dash as a knotted safety bag. (ours can be used as a go bag if needed)
I'm contimplating adding a towel too as they work better for Buddy to be wrapped up in. Something lightweight like a kitchen hand towel.

A hemostat to pull blood feathers out. I bought the type w a curved end. Here's a pic of a regular 1.
Pet Grooming Supplies : Amazon.com: Stainless Steel Hemostat Mosquito Straight for Pets, 5-Inch

There are some pedialite recommendations but the best advice I got was a Non-flavored recipe from Shauna (Mizzley). I will look tomorrow & see if I can find it.

I started w/ corn starch to stop bleeding but placed it in my pantry & bought super clot from Walmart per a recommendation from another AA member. This also has disinfect properties (I believe) *if you choose quick stop it's for Nails Only & not safe to use on skin*

You may want to add in a bottle of water & ADR worth of pellets & maybe some dry sprouts or dry fruits & veggies that can be reconstituted w/ boiling water. I bought some sprouts that are made by TruRoots. Target carries them, & so does Wegmans Grocery & Amazon.
Amazon.com : Truroots Sprouted Lentil Trio, Organic, 8-Ounce : Black Lentils : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I bought a large 40 cup airtight snapware container to keep everything sealed. Problem was it was a giant piece of junk. Sterilite came out w/ some tote style ones that seem to be decent. I'm not sure about airtight handle carry types.

I may have forgotten some stuff but this list should take care of most emergencies. I'll check my box & look for that P.L. recipe tomorrow. I'm glad that your doing this proactively. I would never recommend avoiding vet care, if you can get to a Vet quick do so. But it always seems in my house the worst pet & family emergency happen on holidays & weekends. I'm spent (almost 1:30 AM) so if something I wrote doesn't makes sense, please ask, it's important to know why you need the items & also how to use them.

First Aid for Birds | Beauty of Birds

Caring for a Sick Bird / Emergency Care: Supportive Care | Beauty of Birds

I didn't include their 1st aid kit list because there are a ton of unessary or complicated items on it. Maybe others can post any that I may have missed.

Gloves & plastic baggies can come in handy too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I started a thread about a year ago but I never updated to show my final kit.

Tongue depressors for making a splint
Vet tape for holding a wing or bandage to body
Flashlight
Betadine
Bandage - non-stick gauze squares in different sizes
Bandage - gauze rolls I believe I bought 2 widths
A pair of scissors
Eye Saline - to use as sterile rinse
Paper tape - don't use on feathers
Zip ties
Tweezers (flat tip) not pointed or slanted as they can puncture a fid if they move quick
Oral syringes to have on hand for food or fluid w/ sick bird
Q-tips

Many people recommended a hand warmer but I haven't found any that didn't smell plastic'y when activated a heating pag or water bottle can work if you have power, the handwarmer is for no power & should be wrapped in towels (if I'm remembering correctly

I put a pillowcase in there to use as a wrap or in a fast dash as a knotted safety bag. (ours can be used as a go bag if needed)
I'm contimplating adding a towel too as they work better for Buddy to be wrapped up in. Something lightweight like a kitchen hand towel.

A hemostat to pull blood feathers out. I bought the type w a curved end. Here's a pic of a regular 1.
Pet Grooming Supplies : Amazon.com: Stainless Steel Hemostat Mosquito Straight for Pets, 5-Inch

There are some pedialite recommendations but the best advice I got was a Non-flavored recipe from Shauna (Mizzley). I will look tomorrow & see if I can find it.

I started w/ corn starch to stop bleeding but placed it in my pantry & bought super clot from Walmart per a recommendation from another AA member. This also has disinfect properties (I believe) *if you choose quick stop it's for Nails Only & not safe to use on skin*

You may want to add in a bottle of water & ADR worth of pellets & maybe some dry sprouts or dry fruits & veggies that can be reconstituted w/ boiling water. I bought some sprouts that are made by TruRoots. Target carries them, & so does Wegmans Grocery & Amazon.
Amazon.com : Truroots Sprouted Lentil Trio, Organic, 8-Ounce : Black Lentils : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I bought a large 40 cup airtight snapware container to keep everything sealed. Problem was it was a giant piece of junk. Sterilite came out w/ some tote style ones that seem to be decent. I'm not sure about airtight handle carry types.

I may have forgotten some stuff but this list should take care of most emergencies. I'll check my box & look for that P.L. recipe tomorrow. I'm glad that your doing this proactively. I would never recommend avoiding vet care, if you can get to a Vet quick do so. But it always seems in my house the worst pet & family emergency happen on holidays & weekends. I'm spent (almost 1:30 AM) so if something I wrote doesn't makes sense, please ask, it's important to know why you need the items & also how to use them.

First Aid for Birds | Beauty of Birds

Caring for a Sick Bird / Emergency Care: Supportive Care | Beauty of Birds

I didn't include their 1st aid kit list because there are a ton of unessary or complicated items on it. Maybe others can post any that I may have missed.

Gloves & plastic baggies can come in handy too.
Thank you so much for all of that info! I'm always worried something bad is going to happen to Burt on a weekend especially since the closest 24 hour avian emergency place is a 2 hour drive away:meh:
Having this on hand will make me feel a lot better in an emergency:D

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just as important as the kit is the actual knowledge on treating injuries. When faced with a broken blood feather it's handy to know how to use the corn starch. There's plenty of good advice within the existing threads on these forums to study, and in some areas you can even find first aid for parrots classes. Also the cornstarch doesn't always work, especially when a break is close to the root. While I don't normally recommend pulling a feather, you may one day face an emergency situation where you have to. That would be a bad time to look it up so do the learning now.

*edit*

Irony of ironies, I've just seen your blood feather thread lol

Last edited: