• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cracked Egg

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I literally just got back from the vet for another round of antibiotics and I noticed one of my fertile eggs that was supposed to hatch soon has been cracked by one of it's siblings during the trip. I'm not talking about a hairline crack, the entire top of the egg is in pieces. I can see the baby inside still breathing. There is no blood so I don't think the baby has been harmed at all. My concern now is whether I need to do anything for it. I already moved the babies out to a different tank to insure this doesn't happen again. The incubator is about 60% humidity so I don't think it will dry out. Suggestions?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Update: I found a few articles and videos with chicken breeders who have had the same problem. It seems they used scotch tape to repair the egg. I'm kind of nervous about the sticky aspect of it near sucha small creature. I'm considering saran wrap.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh.... I sure don't know. Is it ready to hatch?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Gosh.... I sure don't know. Is it ready to hatch?
I was expecting it any day but now that I can see it in there it seems rather small. It seems to be fully formed, just tiny. Luckily the membrane of the egg wasn't ruptured. I decided not to put anything over it and put it in a small container. Everything is sterilized and warm so I'm hoping for the best.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was expecting it any day but now that I can see it in there it seems rather small. It seems to be fully formed, just tiny. Luckily the membrane of the egg wasn't ruptured. I decided not to put anything over it and put it in a small container. Everything is sterilized and warm so I'm hoping for the best.
Hoping it pulls through and you can help it survive. I was wondering how any other egg left could hatch when the mother is gone and the male is separated from the chicks... no bird to sit and incubate the eggs left. Do you have a brooder?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No scotch tape, if baby is due any day or minute you must have humidity to prevent the inner membrane from drying out, the least you can do is mist the broken area with warm water a few times a day and if your brooder is at 60% you should be ok..prayers! But do watch that inner membrane, it must be smooth and not wrinkled or dry..

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Update: Unfortunately, despite the humidity and sterile environment the chick past away inside the egg. I'd like to believe it was called home to it's mama upon the rainbow bridge.
:sorrow:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m sorry for your loss Samantha ❤

I'd like to believe it was called home to it's mama upon the rainbow bridge
You lost the hen too?
How tragic :( :sadhug:

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I´m sorry for your loss Samantha ❤

You lost the hen too?
How tragic :( :sadhug:
Thank you. It's been difficult but so far we have been blessed with 3 beautiful babies that she left us and 2 fertile eggs that I pray have a better outcome. It's been a rough couple of weeks but every time I go to handfed the babies I can't help but smile and cherish them in her memory.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your losses, and I hope the other babies continue to thrive
:sadhug2:

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Positive thoughts to you and the babies. I’m sorry for your losses and I’m sure everyone on here is rooting for your little ones!