• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild baby Lori

SoKate

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kate Sobb
Hi, I’m new, I’ve been hand raising a baby lorikeet from the wild and couldn’t fly. The parents were coming to feed him but now they just visit and don’t stay long or feed him. I’ve had him just over a week and he’s super friendly. When he can fly should he be returned to the wild or will the other birds attack him? Should he stay with me now? Our plan was to return him to the wild but he was pecked by crows today when in the yard trying to learn to fly.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Best place for him is with the parent birds because they teach him or her things you cannot teach. Do you think they were trying to wean him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

SoKate

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kate Sobb
We think he was trying to fly to early encouraged by the warmer weather.

The plan was to return him but he’s getting limited exposure to being where the parents can access him due to crows attaching, multiple cats in the area and my work schedule - he’s supervised outside

Can he still be returned after being hand raised? Will he be attached or not know how to live as a wild bird now.