• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally on all pellets

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
We finally switched to all pellets instead of a seed mix. I’ve been slowly lowering the amount of seeds in his pellets (when we got him he was on a zupreme pellet/seed mix 1 bag pellets to one bag seeds). A couple weeks ago I finally gave him just zupreme pellets. And surprisingly he’s been doing just fine. He seems to be wasting much less food too now that he realized that digging through his food and shoveling it on the floor just uncovers more of the same food.

Obviously he of course still gets his fresh foods daily but this is a big win!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That’s great that he’s eating pellets now, but I believe cockatoos also need some seed in their diet? @sunnysmom @Sarahmoluccan @JLcribber ?
Very little seed is fed here. I feed Tops all in one, and give a sprinkle of some Goldenfeast with safflower seed, pepitas. Treats will be a few sunflower seeds. I do not offer a seed mix to any of my birds. They get a sprinkle of Tops, but get a few pistachios, almonds, cashews or walnut sparingly.

They should get a mix of good grains, cooked foods and fresh veg/fruit.

Last edited:

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Very little seed is fed here. I feed Tops all in one, and give a sprinkle of some Goldenfeast with safflower seed, pepitas. Treats will be a few sunflower seeds. I do not offer a seed mix to any of my birds. They get a sprinkle if Tops, but get a few pistachios, almonds, cashews or walnut sparingly.

Exactly. Same here. Seeds are very high in fat. I give walnuts and almonds as treats. And I have this seed mix with other treats in it that I’ll sometimes sprinkle in his foraging toys so if he’s foraging and finds a couple seeds of treats then no big deal. I do that in his foraging toy sparingly though. I switch that up with whole grain regular Cheerios, rice chex, and whatever else I think he might like. He really likes whole grain Cheerios in the foraging stuff though. Those are probably his favorites. And of course shelled walnuts and almonds.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We finally switched to all pellets instead of a seed mix. I’ve been slowly lowering the amount of seeds in his pellets (when we got him he was on a zupreme pellet/seed mix 1 bag pellets to one bag seeds). A couple weeks ago I finally gave him just zupreme pellets. And surprisingly he’s been doing just fine. He seems to be wasting much less food too now that he realized that digging through his food and shoveling it on the floor just uncovers more of the same food.

Obviously he of course still gets his fresh foods daily but this is a big win!
This is excellent news...congrats all the way around. :)

Milton is on all pellets (Zupreem) along with fresh veggies, some fruit, pasta once in awhile...he's not much for fresh sprouts. He's never been interested in nuts of any kind...
I switch that up with whole grain regular Cheerios, rice chex, and whatever else I think he might like.
...oh yes...cheerios...one of Milty's few food obsessions...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
And of course Tropical Fruit nutriberries, they will get the safflower in those. Other then that, that's it seed wise.

Everyone sounds like yours are like our house is with offering seed. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Very little seed is fed here. I feed Tops all in one, and give a sprinkle of some Goldenfeast with safflower seed, pepitas. Treats will be a few sunflower seeds. I do not offer a seed mix to any of my birds. They get a sprinkle of Tops, but get a few pistachios, almonds, cashews or walnut sparingly.

Oh okay, good to know. When I had a cockatoo the vet told me to feed him 75% pellets, 25% seeds and in addition to this as much fresh foods and grains he would eat.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
my cockatoo has never eaten seeds due to a beak injury when she was just a chick. And for most of her life she also never had nuts of any kind either. Now I give her a sweet potato mash with some almond butter mixed in, and she likes that just fine. But I don't think she's been harmed by the lack of seeds and nuts for most of her life. She's 29, and seems to be doing just fine. She eats pellets, fresh food (but limited due to the beak issue) and some honey nut cheerios sometimes. and other cereals. I like the honey nut because of the D3 with the lower iron levels, even though it has some sugar in it.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
This is excellent news...congrats all the way around. :)

Milton is on all pellets (Zupreem) along with fresh veggies, some fruit, pasta once in awhile...he's not much for fresh sprouts. He's never been interested in nuts of any kind...

...oh yes...cheerios...one of Milty's few food obsessions...
Casper’s food obsession is fresh sweet potatoes! I buy 2 or 3 of them at a time. I poke holes in them and cook them like a baked potato and then he prefers it cut into chunks big enough he can hold onto and eat.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton's fresh food obsession are apples...Gala apples...once in awhile we sneak in a different variety, though...;)

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I'm considering offering Chipper only pellets and a Nutriberry in the morning and at night...Do you think he'll be totally thrown off by that if he's used to a seed/pellet mixture at the rescue?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm considering offering Chipper only pellets and a Nutriberry in the morning and at night...Do you think he'll be totally thrown off by that if he's used to a seed/pellet mixture at the rescue?
Why don't you ease into Chipper's transition to pellets? Estimate-or ask about- the percentage of seed to pellet mixture he's getting now...and then move towards the pelleted diet.

When Milton got to the rescue, he was a full seed junkie...they successfully got him to a pelleted diet over a matter of a few weeks...

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Feeling guilty here. Miss Coco is an extremely spoiled eater. She does eat high octane bird food from Bird Paradise (NJ), but prefers gourmet food and grandma’s cooking. Except for the fatty ends of steak, I would say it’s healthy food. And she does eat fish, veggies and fruits.

Her sweet beak OTOH, is plain out of control. Kettle corn, biscotti dipped in coffee (not tea), sweet cookies in milk, forget it.

If she sees a human eating it, she’ll want to try it. And if it’s a desert, almost a guarantee she will love it.