• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a GCC soon, have some questions!

Krissyy1027

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Krissy
So I'll start by saying I am not new to birds. I grew up with them since I was just a baby.

Ok so, first question:
Right now I have a one and a half year old Cockatiel named Pip and we are very closely bonded. I am not getting the GCC with the intent of the two being friends. I plan on shelling out equal time daily spending one on one with each. Do you think that it would be dangerous to eventually try to let them be friends? And if they aren't friends, will Pip get jealous that I'm interacting with another bird than him? Or will he be okay because hes going to get the same amount of attention? Also, can the GCC eat the same pellets and diet that my cockatiel eats?

second:
I've scoured every GCC information page on google pretty much, so my main reason for being here is to hear personal testimonies about these parrots. What should I expect? I'm getting a weaned baby. I heard of some aggressive stage they go through? What's a way to get them to understand not to bite? I know that different birds respond differently so I wanted to know if there was a specific way for them? What is their typical personality? I know they are messy and I'm prepared for everything I read about them, I'm just wondering if anything slipped beneath the cracks on those articles.

Thank you so much for all your help! <3 I hope I get some good advice here! I want to be the best parront that I can to my new green cheek when I get them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You will have to see how it goes as far as when to start letting them interact together. Some birds become great friends, some birds merely tolerate each other, and some birds don’t like each other at all. You will have to closely supervise all interactions. If you want a friend for Pip, you will have better luck with another cockatiel, but even that’s not a for sure thing. As far as getting jealous goes, all I can tell you is that even though all my birds get the same amount of attention, they still get jealous when I’m paying attention to somebody else. It’s like they forgot that they were just getting tons of love. I hope it all works out!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Great advice from Tiel Feathers....my bird starts screaming at my dog and trying to get out of his cage if I’ve spent too much time with one of the dogs. I never have him out of the cage when the dogs are inside for safety reasons so it is a bit of a balancing act trying to make sure everyone gets their fair share of one on one time.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm not sure what 'tiels eat that might be specifically different...I know my conures don't like tiel size nutriberries. They do well with veggies and mashes. Millet is loved by all. I know cheekies can be bullies to tiels so just be careful.

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Congratulations on getting a gcc! Absolutely wonderful little birds! Ive had mine for about 3 months now and I wouldn't change anything about her.

I will say be prepared for a clingy, cuddly, cheeky feathered little monster, and watch out for your little one going after your toes! Ha mine is a bit of a shark. :dead:

Attachments

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
I personally wouldn't expect them to get along with a tiel. Mine have always been bullies with other species and would hurt a tiel in a heartbeat.

I love mine dearly. I have two (six years old), mine aren't particularly cuddly, they're more than a bit sharky. Mine are independent and love to do their own thing, though they do love to come over and hang out with me and see what I'm doing they've definitely got their own agenda. They're territorial little buggers and delightful little clowns.

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
I'm also not sure how well a gcc would get along with a cockatiel. I have two love birds and my gcc loves to land on their cage and try to nip them through the bars. If I'm not fast enough to get her off the cage, they normally nip her toes and have made her bleed before. I personally wouldn't ever risk having them out at the same time based on that alone.

Krissyy1027

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Krissy
Thank you so much everyone! I'll keep the two separate from each other and give them out of cage time separately. I plan on buying a large playstand so each one can get a turn on that and of course they'll get mommy time too!

@Ripshod that article was great, thank you so much! it solidified my desire to own one of these little babies!!!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a black capped conure, which are very similar to green cheeks, and he's a goofball. He was really snuggly as a baby but has definitely been going through the teenage biting phase. He's got me pretty good on my chin a few times.... I've mainly learned his triggers and avoid them and we've had less biting. If he's on my shirt collar and I'm eating..... That really sets him off. He wants anything I'm eating, which is good in that he easily took to fresh veggies. He's quite playful and will hop all around and bounce from perch to perch, so definitely a cage that seems too big isn't a bad idea. He can be loud when he feels like it, I swear he barks!

I don't have any advice on your tiel as I have a lovebird and two linnies and lovebirds are bullies. So far my conure and linnies are amicable.

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
I'll also note, if they're fully flighted, even if you do separate out of cage time...be on the look out for your green cheek flying over to harass the tiel through the bars. Might not happen, but mine were absolute fools over trying to get at my sister-in-law's tiels when I had to watch them (power outage at her house, middle of winter).