• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Pellet from Zupreem

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

The name in my opinion is terrible: PastaBlend! Makes it sound like it is made with pasta.

But, it is just pasta shaped pellets, which may be good for some of our picky birds!

It does contain sugar HOWEVER - No artificial colors!

It'll be available in October they say :)

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Ooo interesting! I just bought their sensible seed blend, and so far it's a hit!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for the info! Now if only they could take out the sugar! My tiels used to love Zupreem, and now they do eat Roudybush, but I feel bad because they don’t like it near as much.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Zupreem fruity is the only pellet Ripley eats! Would love to remove
Thanks for the info! Now if only they could take out the sugar! My tiels used to love Zupreem, and now they do eat Roudybush, but I feel bad because they don’t like it near as much.

I can't get Ripley to eat anything so far besides the Fruity :crycry: it would be great to at least get him off the artificial colors!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
They have also released a Cockatiel sized pellet in the Veggie Blend and Nut Blend pellets for anyone interested :)

Good to know, my Distributor thus far does not have it yet. I have heard that Caitec is going to have more flavors of baked munchies. The side note, the Nutblend has such a strong chemical smell to me it's just something that doesn't sit right with me. Too much artificial-ness for my liking. It is not that popular, it will be interesting how this pasta blend does.

Not to be the Debbie downer here, but when you read the ingredients...........there is very nutritional benefit here.

Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat, Wheat germ meal, Sugar, Vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Calcium carbonate, Dicalcium phosphate, Iodized salt, Natural flavors (source of nut flavor)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good to know, my Distributor thus far does not have it yet. I have heard that Caitec is going to have more flavors of baked munchies. The side note, the Nutblend has such a strong chemical smell to me it's just something that doesn't sit right with me. Too much artificial-ness for my liking. It is not that popular, it will be interesting how this pasta blend does.

Not to be the Debbie downer here, but when you read the ingredients...........there is very nutritional benefit here.

Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat, Wheat germ meal, Sugar, Vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Calcium carbonate, Dicalcium phosphate, Iodized salt, Natural flavors (source of nut flavor)

That of course leaves out all of the vitamins and supplements that my bird would otherwise not get. When you have a bird that won't eat anything except almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and safflower seeds, those vitamins and minerals added to the 'crappy ingredients' are very important.

Zupreem saved Ripley's life. Everyone can knock it all they want, but I'm thankful that they produce a pellet my bird will eat so he can get over the two decades of malnourishment.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

That of course leaves out all of the vitamins and supplements that my bird would otherwise not get. When you have a bird that won't eat anything except almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and safflower seeds, those vitamins and minerals added to the 'crappy ingredients' are very important.

Zupreem saved Ripley's life. Everyone can knock it all they want, but I'm thankful that they produce a pellet my bird will eat so he can get over the two decades of malnourishment.
I am not saying the ingredients are crappy, but there are better options. There are alot of added vitamins and minerals.

You've done a great job with him, no doubt.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Does anyone know if the Veggieblend tastes different from the natural/ fruitblend or do the added sugars just overpower the taste?

I'm trying to get some of my birbs to eat their veggies but they seem to think I wanna poison them...

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
The PastaBlend ingredients lists: Vegetable juice (color), Paprika (color), Carmine (color)

I know what vegetable juice and paprika is... but what's Carmine and where is it sourced from?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bebe is such a stinker about pellets, any pellets. For me buying a whole bag is waste if he will not eat it. I've gotten him off of sunflower seeds and trying veggies but that has taken 3 years of die hard commitment.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am not saying the ingredients are crappy, but there are better options. There are alot of added vitamins and minerals.

You've done a great job with him, no doubt.

Of course there are better options, but they are only better if the bird eats them :) I've tried Hagen Tropican Lifetime and High Potency, both sticks and granules. I've tried the Tropimix. I've tried Goldenfeast, Pretty Bird African, Mazuri, Caitec Oven Fresh, Harrison's Fine, Harrison's Coarse, Harrison's Pepper, Roudybush, Lafeber Daily Maintenance, Lafeber Pellet Berries, Zupreem NutBlend, Zupreem Natural....

There might be more that I've forgotten. The point is I do try to improve his diet daily. That includes putting pellets that never get eaten into his bowl, giving them as treats, putting them in foraging toys, eating them in front of him, making them into a mash, mixing with juice.

Yes, there are better options. Unfortunately I've spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours on trying to get him to agree, meanwhile he is healthier than when I brought him home a year ago and that's thanks to Zupreem.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does anyone know if the Veggieblend tastes different from the natural/ fruitblend or do the added sugars just overpower the taste?

I'm trying to get some of my birbs to eat their veggies but they seem to think I wanna poison them...

I haven't tried the veggie but the natural and fruity really aren't as sugary as you'd think. Plain Cheerios IMO are much sweeter.

The PastaBlend ingredients lists: Vegetable juice (color), Paprika (color), Carmine (color)

I know what vegetable juice and paprika is... but what's Carmine and where is it sourced from?

It is made from a bug. The Truth About Red Food Dye Made from Bugs | Live Science

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra

Of course there are better options, but they are only better if the bird eats them :) I've tried Hagen Tropican Lifetime and High Potency, both sticks and granules. I've tried the Tropimix. I've tried Goldenfeast, Pretty Bird African, Mazuri, Caitec Oven Fresh, Harrison's Fine, Harrison's Coarse, Harrison's Pepper, Roudybush, Lafeber Daily Maintenance, Lafeber Pellet Berries, Zupreem NutBlend, Zupreem Natural....

There might be more that I've forgotten. The point is I do try to improve his diet daily. That includes putting pellets that never get eaten into his bowl, giving them as treats, putting them in foraging toys, eating them in front of him, making them into a mash, mixing with juice.

Yes, there are better options. Unfortunately I've spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours on trying to get him to agree, meanwhile he is healthier than when I brought him home a year ago and that's thanks to Zupreem.
This really just illustrates why so many of us say "The best pellet is the pellet they'll eat."

Birds just are insanely picky, I'll be honest I've tasted several of these myself and they are not wildly different by human standards, especially within a brand. (I know it's probably a bit strange but I do taste most of Peanut's food, pretty much everything but unhulled seeds.) One of my favorite picky birds on AA would eat Harrison's Adult Lifetime but not High Potency, which literally taste exactly the same but at the time High Potency was like a shade darker (seems they changed it somewhat recently and they identical now.)

I have no idea what finally made Peanut accept Harrison's. Seriously I wish I could share the magic behind that with people.
I really wanted to get Peanut eating something with D3 so I just kept offering it alongside her Zupreem Naturals for several months before she very suddenly completely stopped eating Zupreem and would only eat Harrison's. :shrug:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

I agree with the notion of any Pellet consumed is better then none at all.

It's the Nutblend that doesn't have more ingredients as the others like the Naturals. That is what I meant.

I remember sending you samples to try. ;)

I have two Pretty Bird Natural Gold crackheads here thanks to the added pellets from years ago in the MSBS blends. They get very little of these maybe 10 a day. Thankfully the Zons will eat Roudybush California blend and one eating some Harrison's power treats. One eats them if they are smashed.

I'm sure we all have challenges with our birds, and we do the best we can for them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This really just illustrates why so many of us say "The best pellet is the pellet they'll eat."

Birds just are insanely picky, I'll be honest I've tasted several of these myself and they are not wildly different by human standards, especially within a brand. (I know it's probably a bit strange but I do taste most of Peanut's food, pretty much everything but unhulled seeds.) One of my favorite picky birds on AA would eat Harrison's Adult Lifetime but not High Potency, which literally taste exactly the same but at the time High Potency was like a shade darker (seems they changed it somewhat recently and they identical now.)

I have no idea what finally made Peanut accept Harrison's. Seriously I wish I could share the magic behind that with people.
I really wanted to get Peanut eating something with D3 so I just kept offering it alongside her Zupreem Naturals for several months before she very suddenly completely stopped eating Zupreem and would only eat Harrison's. :shrug:

I taste pretty much everything too except unhulled seeds. I'm also no spring chicken when it comes to diet conversion. I've only ever had one great eater :lol:

I agree about the taste of stuff too! Luckily my rats enjoy most of the pellets Ripley doesn't touch. No one here will touch Roudybush though! :lol:

I keep trying, and will keep trying, same with veggies. He's healthier and happier which are the main takeaways, and hopefully one day he'll eat a pellet I prefer. Zupreem isn't my first choice but I'm thankful that it's available and works for now :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Food is such an enrichment for them that I like to give them what they like as long as it is relatively healthy. I usually feed roudybush but two of my birds like Zupreem Fruity so sometimes I give them the Zupreem Fruity pellets instead.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Zupreem fruity is the only pellet Ripley eats! Would love to remove

I can't get Ripley to eat anything so far besides the Fruity :crycry: it would be great to at least get him off the artificial colors!
Have you tried the Higgins In Tune? Elvis came to me eating Zupreem Fruit and he switched over to In Tune without any issues.