• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breed of the cockatiel

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Hi all,

I got a new tiel 10 days ago. Breeder said it's fawn pied. It's parents were lutino and pied as per the breeder. I tried googling regarding fawn pied , didn't get any satisfactory answer. Pl help me out in this. I am attaching a pic of my baby cockatiel. IMG_20190909_101609.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks like he may be a pied cinnamon. Could fawn be another word for cinnamon among Tiel breeders? I've never come across the reference before.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Sandra Gibson

Walking the driveway
Hi all,

I got a new tiel 10 days ago. Breeder said it's fawn pied. It's parents were lutino and pied as per the breeder. I tried googling regarding fawn pied , didn't get any satisfactory answer. Pl help me out in this. I am attaching a pic of my baby cockatiel. View attachment 314789
What a gorgeous Cockatiel!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s so cute!:heart: Congratulations!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a pretty baby. I agree that "cinnamon" and "fawn" are the same.
I had a lovely cinnamon pearl for 17 years. Or would that be a fawn pearl? ;)

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Looks like he may be a pied cinnamon. Could fawn be another word for cinnamon among Tiel breeders? I've never come across the reference before.

Even I had a doubt as it's grey color is dull like cinnamons. Wanted to confirm.:smileflower:

Last edited:

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Yes, I think "fawn" is another name for cinnamon. And I agree she looks like a cinnamon pied. She's very pretty. (And the different colors of tiels are called mutations. :) )

Chapter 5 – COCKATIEL MUTATIONS, A Bounty of Color

I didn't know that fawn is another name for cinnamon . Fawn name looks so cute :heart:
I don't know whether he or she but yes she is very pretty. Thanks

Thanks for the link. Will go thru the article :hug8:

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Such a pretty baby. I agree that "cinnamon" and "fawn" are the same.
I had a lovely cinnamon pearl for 17 years. Or would that be a fawn pearl? ;)

Hahaha. Fawn pearl or cinnamon pearl they are little fluff balls of happiness :heart:

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
My tiel eating it's poop. Is:sad10: it normal

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Much as human children play in and eating mud a young bird will investigate anything that could possibly be food (while ignoring the food you want them to eat). It's normal and nothing to be concerned about in a young bird.
I had a budgie a while ago that would go along all the perches in a morning and pick all the poop off. He wasn't eating it, he just seemed to like a clean cage.

Last edited:

Cloud

Strolling the yard
https://aboutcockatiels.com/cockatiels-eating-droppings-or-poop/

Just like Linden said, since it is a baby cockatiel, your cockatiel might be probably curious about it. Since you just got that beautiful baby, i am assuming it is only on a seed diet. After the little guy starts eating pellets, sprouts, and veggies too, he will be fine. My baby cockatiels used to eat its own droppings, but they stopped doing it. I am not sure if it is because they grew out of it, or they are getting enough vitamins and nutritions.

Last edited:

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Much as human children play in and eating mud a young bird will investigate anything that could possibly be food (while ignoring the food you want them to eat). It's normal and nothing to be concerned about in a young bird.
I had a budgie a while ago that would go along all the perches in a morning and pick all the poop off. He wasn't eating it, he just seemed to like a clean cage.
Oh yeah. Quite possible it might be cleaning as when I wake him up in the morning I see a clean cage apart from 3 or 4 poops at one place. His food and water bowls will be super clean. He never poops in those. :) If he is investigating then it's fine. Quite a curious kid. :)

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
https://aboutcockatiels.com/cockatiels-eating-droppings-or-poop/

Just like Linden said, since it is a baby cockatiel, your cockatiel might be probably curious about it. Since you just got that beautiful baby, i am assuming it is only on a seed diet. After the little guy starts eating pellets, sprouts, and veggies too, he will be fine. My baby cockatiels used to eat its own droppings, but they stopped doing it. I am not sure if it is because they grew out of it, or they are getting enough vitamins and nutritions.
Will wait and watch. Yes it's on seeds mainly. We have started introducing veggies. :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As was said, he might just be playing. But cockatiels are one of the few parrots that will eat their droppings if they have a mineral deficiency. My guess is your tiel probably is just playing. But if you do see him eating them, you can sprinkle some Brewers Yeast on his seed (human grade). It's also good for stress. I've used it with my tiel.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
As was said, he might just be playing. But cockatiels are one of the few parrots that will eat their droppings if they have a mineral deficiency. My guess is your tiel probably is just playing. But if you do see him eating them, you can sprinkle some Brewers Yeast on his seed (human grade). It's also good for stress. I've used it with my tiel.

Thanks sunnysmom. Will find out yeast though will be little difficult in my area.
Yeah he might be playing as he doesn't do this full day only once a while. The other day I was changing his paper liner beneath his tree (we call his play pen as tree , the one in the pic :) he was looking carefully and curiously. The moment I was done he wagged his tail. Yesterday when he pooped on the bed while playing with my kids , he picked the poop and started walking we thought he is eating but as Ripshod said, he might be trying to clean it so picked it up and started walking.
Will wait and watch ,what he is upto