• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Home improvement question

Lovebirdslave

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here it goes. So we recently bought a home that we have two bird rooms in. 9 little peach faced lovebirds call us theirs. So recently, one of our troublemaking boys (fluffypoptarts’ Twinkie) has begun landing on the trim around the closets and wants to chew the wood. I am looking for suggestions as to where to get some natural wood trim that would be safe to replace the current trim with because we want to be sure he doesn’t get sick from this crazy behavior.

Just to say, he has a full flight cage to himself, lots of toys and perches for chewing, he gets at least two hours of out time a day during the weekdays, and several hours on the weekends and lots and lots of love. We chase him off the trim constantly, but want to make the whole room safe. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
That's basically what my cockatiel loves to do too, along with trying to get the paint off the walls. The trim where I live is too thin for her to stand on though, thankfully, but she does fly onto the tops of open closet doors and other doors and try to chew the trim and the doors. I don't know if you have that issue with your bird, but for that, I put towels over the tops of the doors and manilla envelopes right over the door hinge to cover the trim. It's not pretty, but it works as a temporary solution until I can get something like plexiglass to cover it.

I know some people here have replaced their trim with untreated wood, and others have covered it with plexiglass. Hopefully they will be along to help with suggestions on the best places to get untreated wood trims.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
And I might add here that "some people"... @sunnysmom and @cassiesdad even build little cabinets for their birds!
:joyful::rolleyes::unsure1::smuggrin:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Good old kiln dried construction grade 2x4s in spruce/fir/pine from home depot.

Screw them on so when they're chewed up, unscrew and replace.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Never EVER get treated woods! -If the wood is green in colour run away! ;)

It is very important that it is only kiln dried construction timber.

One thing I do is place natural branches on my window sills. My birds love spending time there looking out at the world and they do chew. They prefer to stand on the branches and rip the bark off over picking at the sill. -Just another idea to toss on the mix.